Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I hope I can download the CD before its material release on April 14th... By the way, I think the timing for No. 28 is wrong here: the piece should be around 14 minutes, not 20. Look for yourselves: naxosdirect.com/items/brian-symphonies-nos.-6-28-29-31-304355.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

calyptorhynchus

At the Naxos site you can access the back cover of this release, and, from memory, No 28 is 14 minutes something.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Christo

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 04, 2015, 06:57:47 PMAt the Naxos site you can access the back cover of this release, and, from memory, No 28 is 14 minutes something.

Not 'something' but 14:00 exactly: http://www.naxos.com/SharedFiles/pdf/rear/8.573408r.pdf#
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Albion

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

!!!

P.S. Listened. Sounds excellent. No. 29 - slower tempi than in the Mackerras...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Have the planned German Gothic performances been cancelled?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Got this from the HBS a few moments ago:

"We have some unfortunate news related to the performances of the Gothic symphony that were noted in the recent newsletter.

The Braunschweig website pages have been changed to remove references to the Gothic, and now simply show Concert No. 9 as being of unspecified music, with a conductor to be announced. The booking links still work and lead to unchanged pages with the Gothic still there, but this could well be an oversight. http://staatstheater-braunschweig.de/staatsorchester/sinfoniekonzerte/. We will keep you updated as we get more news."

I already have my tickets. And booked a hotel.

Christo

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 07, 2015, 07:42:15 AM

"We have some unfortunate news related to the performances of the Gothic symphony that were noted in the recent newsletter.

The Braunschweig website pages have been changed to remove references to the Gothic, and now simply show Concert No. 9 as being of unspecified music, with a conductor to be announced. The booking links still work and lead to unchanged pages with the Gothic still there, but this could well be an oversight. http://staatstheater-braunschweig.de/staatsorchester/sinfoniekonzerte/. We will keep you updated as we get more news."

Me too. We'll wait and see.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

John Whitmore

Quote from: vandermolen on March 04, 2015, 08:36:52 AM
Have ordered the Naxos Symphony 6 etc. Can't wait!
I see you also like Bliss. A man of good taste.  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: John Whitmore on March 08, 2015, 12:55:14 AM
I see you also like Bliss. A man of good taste.  :D

OT:

Thank you  :)

I like Bliss very much, especially Morning Heroes, Meditations on a Theme by John Blow, the Oboe Quintet, both piano concertos and 'Things to Come'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Oh no! :o You must be on the edge of your metaphorical seat?!! What could have happened! It's like one of those old cinema style cliffhangers....will the Gothic be performed or not?! Has the dreaded Brian jinx struck again?!!

There has to be (will be,obviously) some simple explanation..........

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 08, 2015, 11:21:52 AM
Oh no! :o You must be on the edge of your metaphorical seat?!! What could have happened! It's like one of those old cinema style cliffhangers....will the Gothic be performed or not?! Has the dreaded Brian jinx struck again?!!

There has to be (will be,obviously) some simple explanation..........
If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I guess they have had trouble recruiting a choir of sufficient numbers or getting enough rehearsal time. The orchestral parts are easy enough so that's all I can presume. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Great shame.

springrite

Quote from: John Whitmore on March 09, 2015, 09:47:46 AM
If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I guess they have had trouble recruiting a choir of sufficient numbers or getting enough rehearsal time. The orchestral parts are easy enough so that's all I can presume. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Great shame.

Gothic Without Words!

Nah, that wouldn't work...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Christo

Quote from: John Whitmore on March 09, 2015, 09:47:46 AMIf I were a betting man, which I'm not, I guess they have had trouble recruiting a choir of sufficient numbers or getting enough rehearsal time. The orchestral parts are easy enough so that's all I can presume. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Great shame.

I wrote them. In my best German (you can judge for yourselves: it's like my best English  ;D), but am still waiting for a reply.

cilgwyn

I just looked,via the link,and Concert 9 seems to have replaced with music by other composers!! ??? :( The update on the HBS website is not exactly cheering! (According to the committee)  "It is therefore probable that the performances will not now take place". !! :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks. That new concert isn't too bad.That symphony by Gorecki is wonderful, and so is Mahler's Adagio from Symphony No. 10.  sister and I still intend to go to Braunschweig. A short trip, which will include a visit to a nearby village where my favourite post-war German writer lived... But I wonder if my Gothic tickets are valid for that new concert, too?!

cilgwyn

Well,you might as well go! The Gorecki will seem a little pared down in comparison to the Gothic Symphony! ;D 
This isn't unprecedented,of course,is it? The history of Brian is full of disappointments like this;but some successes as well! On a positive note,it shows the interest that is out there. Maybe they bit off more than they could chew?! And,not wanting to sound ungrateful;but why does it always have to be the Gothic! If I had a symphony orchestra at my disposal,the third symphony would be at the top of my list! But I suppose there is the notoriety of the Gothic and the attention it could bring to an orchestra like this. Look at at the way the tickets sold out for that Prom! They must have been thinking of that!
I still wish they'd do it though! :(

vandermolen

At least it was not replaced by Wagner's 'The Flying Dutchman' as that would have really rubbed it in to two of our HB enthusiasts.

Sorry  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Ha!

(Listening to Myaskovsky as it happens, Symphony No. 27...)

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 11, 2015, 01:49:08 PM
Ha!

(Listening to Myaskovsky as it happens, Symphony No. 27...)

Wonderful work, especially the slow movement. NM was dying when he wrote it - I find it very moving. Which recording?