Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on April 23, 2015, 11:53:35 PM
Today I was compiling a Discography of Havergal Brian Works (as you do) and it was looking very good, in that almost all the symphonies have modern recordings (except 14 and 26), and we have recordings of so many of the other works.

However, I am not quite sure of the status of the EMI double disk. This is the one with recordings by Mackerras and Groves of symphonies 7, 8, 9, 31 and the Tinker's Wedding. None of the usual sources are showing this as available. Amazon copies which are described as 'new and used', but I think that 'new' on Amazon just means 'unopened'.

We have Klassihaus restorations of the Fredman 8 & 9 (originally BBC recordings) and 31 i son the new Naxos, but the symphony we don't have another recording of is 7, which is considered one of his best.....

:(
Depends what you call modern recordings. Has 21 ever been done again? The LSSO performance isn't modern but there's nothing actually wrong with the good old fashioned analogue stereo sound. It would be good to hear another version though. Is there another one out there,even in crude download radio broadcast type sound?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Members of the HBS have online access to the Recordings Library, which contains the first performance of No. 21 with the London Symphony Orchestra, under Edward Downes (14 January 1969). I have listened to it only the once. When I have listened for a second time, I'll say something about its qualities. But not now - back to my writing!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Augustus

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on April 23, 2015, 11:53:35 PM

However, I am not quite sure of the status of the EMI double disk. This is the one with recordings by Mackerras and Groves of symphonies 7, 8, 9, 31 and the Tinker's Wedding. None of the usual sources are showing this as available. Amazon copies which are described as 'new and used', but I think that 'new' on Amazon just means 'unopened'.

I bought one of these recently.  It was produced by ArkivMusic, an outfit which reprints out-of-print CDs under licence.  The Arkiv website is contradictory as to whether it is still available, but this page shows it available for under $29:
http://www.ecoupons.com/products/arkivmusic/243277696/NjMxMDE=

I imagine those still shown as "new" on Amazon are from this source.

cilgwyn

Finally back on the internet after hours of battlinng with routers,wireless adaptors,networks and cables. Wierd! I went to bed and the connection was fine. I was thinking it was better than usual. This morning....nothing!! :( I was on the verge of phoning my isp,when I finally got it back!!

After finding out that the second cd in my Forlane set was faulty. Well,it won't play on the new Mini hi-fi,anyway...I finally ordered the Heritage cd of The Symphonic Movements from The Tigers and,since Amazon had it in stock,and to take advantage of the Super Saver delivery,the 2cd set Heritage set Havergal Brian The First Commercial Recordings. I am ashamed to say I didn't buy this when it came out! (Although I DID feel bad about not buying it,believe me!) I'm looking forward to these anyway,John! The first cd of the Forlane set is fine,with the Hubert Parry 3rd on it,which I enjoyed very much as a youngster (hope that get's a reissue one day,it's a fine recording!) so I will have the lot now and the Forlane notes and artwork,anyway!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Good to hear you're online again, cilgwyn! Welcome to the digital world. ;-) A pity that second CD was faulty. It made you bite the bullet, though, and buy the whole set, which isn't a bad thing.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

And there I was goading you into buying the Testament Tigers set and I hadn't even bought those two earlier releases! :-[ ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Haha! I still have to order the Tigers set... Have to be a bit careful, money-wise. But I'll be a proud owner in the not-too-distant future.

cilgwyn

The Forlane cd was wonderful in it's day;but the cd set,while nice to own,is a bit annoying in the way it 'splits' the Brian over the two cds. Of course,you can make a cd-r;but it's nice to have it all on a 'proper' commercially produced cd. Also,the Fould's piece chosen makes a better companion than the Parry,wonderful as it is (a big favourite with me!) Of course,the Parry was an appropriate companion,in a way,considering his importance in the history of British music and his legacy. It certainly would be nice to hear more of his symphonies in the concert hall and imho they should be heard if we value our musical history. Anyway.... ;D......the Fould's are of course available in new,albeit not necessarily finer recordings,depending on your viewpoint. Only,the evocative St Joan suite is a difficult buy! If I bought that volume of the Dutton series it's included on I would almost certainly suffer an overwhelming compulsion to purchase the rest!! ??? :(

cilgwyn

I note the sad news that Keith Harris died today. Not exactly one of my favourite puppets,I'm afraid;but I do enjoy a goggle o' geer at the weekend!! :o ;D

Albion

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 28, 2015, 10:17:19 AM
I note the sad news that Keith Harris died today. Not exactly one of my favourite puppets,I'm afraid;but I do enjoy a goggle o' geer at the weekend!! :o ;D

All together now ...

O: "I wish I could fly
Way up to the sky
But I can't"

KH: "You can"

O: "I can't
But I'll have a bloody good try

Up, up and away ..."

BANG!

KH: "Oops, forgot it was the glorious twelfth"
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 28, 2015, 07:39:47 AM
Finally back on the internet after hours of battlinng with routers,wireless adaptors,networks and cables. Wierd! I went to bed and the connection was fine. I was thinking it was better than usual. This morning....nothing!! :( I was on the verge of phoning my isp,when I finally got it back!!

After finding out that the second cd in my Forlane set was faulty. Well,it won't play on the new Mini hi-fi,anyway...I finally ordered the Heritage cd of The Symphonic Movements from The Tigers and,since Amazon had it in stock,and to take advantage of the Super Saver delivery,the 2cd set Heritage set Havergal Brian The First Commercial Recordings. I am ashamed to say I didn't buy this when it came out! (Although I DID feel bad about not buying it,believe me!) I'm looking forward to these anyway,John! The first cd of the Forlane set is fine,with the Hubert Parry 3rd on it,which I enjoyed very much as a youngster (hope that get's a reissue one day,it's a fine recording!) so I will have the lot now and the Forlane notes and artwork,anyway!
Electricity? In Wales? Blimey.............. :D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 28, 2015, 07:39:47 AM

I think the CBS disc will be the biggest surprise for you. Very clear and close. Also, one of the noisiest sessions ever produced. It didn't show up on the LP (or the Klassic Haus transfers) but there are so many bow taps, shuffles and creaky chairs that it's something of a collectors item when played on headphones. Committed music making all the same and great to hear Psalm 23 without horrible end of side LP distortion in the louder choral passages. Nice.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Albion on April 28, 2015, 10:40:20 PM

All together now ...

O: "I wish I could fly
Way up to the sky
But I can't"

KH: "You can"

O: "I can't
But I'll have a bloody good try

Up, up and away ..."

BANG!

KH: "Oops, forgot it was the glorious twelfth"
;D Altogether now,Aaaaaah!! Much safer sitting around with a mans hand up your *censored*!! Goodness! No wonder he wanted to fly!!! :o
(Now,where's yellowing copy of How to become a Ventriloquist?!! I have a hunch it's in the same box as How to kick sand in someone's face and get away with it by Charles Atlas!!) A weeks supply of sweet cigarettes for those. I used to love nibbling the candy filters off!

John,believe it or not,we've got allot of running water here too....and  I gather allot of it get's piped over the border. But let's not get into that one!! ;D
(Yep,the generator is on!)
I have a confession here. While I cherished and brained my parents with the LSSO Lp of No's 10 & 21,I never had the CBS Lp. I think I have listened to downloads,but I don't think they were amongst the best in terms of sound quality. I suspect this cd set is going to be a bit of an 'ear opener'?

John Whitmore

I have a confession here. While I cherished and brained my parents with the LSSO Lp of No's 10 & 21,I never had the CBS Lp. I think I have listened to downloads,but I don't think they were amongst the best in terms of sound quality. I suspect this cd set is going to be a bit of an 'ear opener'?

I always preferred the Unicorn LP to the CBS in terms of orchestral playing (marginally) and recording quality (massively) but the CBS LP pressing was to blame with its tinny top end (I always disliked CBS LPs on the whole). Horrible thing. The actual master tapes are very direct and in your face. Decca Phase 4ish. The Heritage Unicorn transfer is better than the previous CD incarnation but it's the CBS that makes you sit up. I was totally amazed when I heard it. Report back, please..........

cilgwyn

I certainly will,John. Amazon are still at the 'getting ready to dispatch' stage,so far!
Your comments about CBS are interesting. I don't know about their Uk 'division' but some of their US recordings were known for their 'dry' sound,weren't they? Szell's recordings famously. I gor rid of the few I had. It doesn't matter what some people say about his conducting;the sound quality was so unpleasant,and I'm someone who can listen to recordings made on shellac. The Andrew Davis recordings of Borodin symphonies were also ruined by this horrible dry sound. I have no problem with some other CBS recordings,however. Ormandy,for example. That said,when I think of a label with really good sound quality,CBS is never one that springs to mind. Decca and Emi,for example;but not CBS! I'm listening to an EMI recording now,from 1960,I believe;Ackermann's second stereo recording of Die Fledermaus. It sounds more like a recording from at least ten years later.

cilgwyn

CBS do seem to have improved later. For example,their recording of Weinberger's Schwanda (c1980?) has superb sound quality. Quite sumptuous,like Decca,at it's best. But,that dry,thin quality is usually the highest of all on my list of what can turn me off even the best performance. I have recordings made in the early years of the last century,acoustic ones included,that I can enjoy. so it's not really just about sound quality,but the sound itself.....if that makes any sense?!! ::) ;D

cilgwyn

After my recent problem with my Forlane set,I thought I'd better test my emi set of Brian symphonies 7-9. It worked perfectly,thank goodness. What great recordings,though,and whether Brian is a major composer or not,or didn't really understand the orchestra (and,so on) I still find these symphonies as absorbing as ever. I notice the well known Amazon seller I bought my set from has one on offer at a very low price,right now.......fortunately,this time around,I won't be needing them!! :)

cilgwyn

I am given to understand,from a post at the AMF (see Dutton release thread) that Dutton are planning to record Brian's (who else? ;D) Second and Fourteenth symphonies. I hope this is true! Two of my favourite Brian symphonies on one cd!! :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

A little bird told me this in confidence a year ago... Great news. Three cheers for Dutton!

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 30, 2015, 04:32:53 AM
A little bird told me this in confidence a year ago... Great news. Three cheers for Dutton!
Who is she and how long have you been seeing each other? You devil....