Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I share your enthusiasm for the Pope, both Stanley and Francis.... As for Friend's performance, I like the last movement best (in mitigation).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

The Hyperion performance isn't that bad. I think some people,coming new to Brian,might have doubts,but they would still be intrigued by what they heard and want to investigate further. On the other hand,a performance like the Pope one is the sort that could really sweep you off your feet! People react differently,don't they? I just feel sad that it might not make the positive impact it should,because it is,after all,one of Brian's most fascinating and original compositions.
As to the Marco Polo Second. I think that must have put off quite a few people who would,otherwise,enjoy it (and Brian's music in general). I remember when they had the Naxos cd's in the racks at the,now defunct,chain store MVC. Just imagine if that was your first encounter with Brian?
That said,the truly awful Plovdiv didn't put me off Louis Glass! :) I still sent off for the Cpo recording,and imho,it's worth every penny! :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

I only know the Svastica (sic), Glass's Fifth. So No. 3 is just as fine?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I bought all the Plovdiv recordings and of the others the third was the one I liked the most. The Plovdiv performances and recordings have had allot of flak,justifiably unfortunately.....and the proof is in the pudding,as they say;the third sounds like a completely different work in the new Cpo recording,which is supposed to be (hopefully) the beginning of a cycle. I now think it is an absolutely gorgeous late romantic symphony. I like the suite,too. I kept playing the cd on repeat;and after I finished listening to it I kept hearing the music in my head. There is one tune that sounds almost like a theme from a Hollywood film from the Golden age. Very romantic and you remember it. The sound quality and playing is excellent. It obviously outclasses the Plovdiv in every possible way and is very probably the best recording this composer has ever had. In short,I thoroughly recommend it!

And going back very briefly to Brian's third (I'm afraid! ;D). I kept thinking,while listening to this symphony,that it has often been referred to as 'Brucknerian'. I thought,in that case,since I'm in the mood for something that get's called 'Brucknerian',why not have another go at the 'real thing'?! Well,I put on the Eighth and something strange has happened. I'm enjoying Bruckner! So much so I just bought symphonies 4-6 on ebay!! :o >:( ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for the info about Glass. And great you're starting out on a Bruckner journey!

cilgwyn

Yes,I'm thinking,why didn't I enjoy this before? But come to think of it,I did,back in the eighties. I remember borrowing Karjan Lp's of Bruckner from the local library. I was playing them all. Later on I seemed to go off Bruckner for some reason! Wait till calyptorhyncus hears about this. He was trying to convince me.

By the way,I wouldn't like to say Louis Glass's third is quite on the same level as the Fifth;but I love it in this new recording. I can't wait to hear them in more......particularly No 5.

calyptorhynchus

Yes, I'm very happy to hear it. I heard Bruckner's 7th when I was 17 and quickly went through all the others. They seem to me to be the authentic voice of symphonism in the C19 and i hear others as divergent, rather than the other way around.

Friend's HB No3 was my second piece of HB, BTW, after the English Suite No.5. I liked it, though it was the EMI 7, 8, 9, 31 that really spurred my interest.
;)

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

cilgwyn

I remember discussing Bruckner with you. The wierd thing is I can remember enjoying Bruckner now,back in the eighties. I remember getting all those Karajan Lp's with the wings (I think? I must have a look at them) on the front,from the library. I had them blasting away on the old record player,along with Solti's Brahms and Elgar. Another conductor who,like Karajan was more highly rated then than he is now. The libraries seemed to be groaning with the weight of their recordings! ,Although I gather Karajan's Bruckner is still highly rated by some. That said,if you are really into Bruckner you will obviously have preferences,maybe spurn Karajan,and........ if you are really into Bruckner in a really big way,more than one cycle. Need I say,I have Karajan 7-9 already, and I bought Klemperer's Sixth,which I have heard on a library cassette and the Haitink 4 & 5 Philips 'twofer',because they were cheap! As far as I could make out some people think Bruckner's Haitink is good (although I gather his Fifth is the better of the two) and I like Klemperer in Brahms,and I know his Sixth is regarded by many as a classic. That said,when I think of Bruckner,I tend to think of Karajan,Jochum or Wand;not Haitink!? But I'm on a budget at the moment,so hopefully Haitink will do!!If I really get into Bruckner I will follow up some of your suggestions;but I need to cut back on cd's spending for a while......or join the guy opposite the ATM flogging the Big Issue. Actually,I don't think he'll want me there as well?!!

And going back to Havergal Brian! ;D I do find it interesting that Brian's third got me into Bruckner again;but a bit worrying that all those loud Karajan Bruckner work outs back in the eighties should have slipped my mind! I remember I had the Ole Schmidt Gothic,the Poole Das Siegesled,the Unicorn Gliere Ilya Murometz thundering away as well. Not to mention Janis Jopilin,In the Court of the Crimson King,Emerson Lake & Palmer,Dark Side of the Moon,James Brown..............wow! No wonder I had the neighbour's shoe collection lying outside my front door?!!! (I thought it was timpani?!)

cilgwyn

I must admit I preferred Brian's eighth and ninth at the time. I bought the Aries Lp of the third from 'Michal G Thomas,who used to advertise in the back of Gramophone. I had no idea it was a pirate. I was so disappointed with it it at the time I actually physically broke the Lp up! It later became my favourite Brian symphony and still is! As to whether it is Brucknerian? Well,only in size and scope,and it does have that granitic,heroic romantic feel to it and it certainly can evoke similarly vast vistas in the minds eye! Apart from that it's just pure,unadulterated Brian! :)

springrite

Just where can I find the Pope recording mentioned?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

cilgwyn

The sound quality is fantastic in the Klassic Haus (I hope I've got the spelling right,this time! :() restoration. Maybe not current state of the art;but it really feels like vast vistas are opening out after that cramped sounding Hyperion recording. The performance just sweeps you along,the pianos sound really grand! I think the Art Music Forum have it in their library if you want it free;but you'll need to register first,and preferably add some polite posts!  I have that one,and it's pretty good;but the Klassic Haus restoration sounds like the proverbial veil has been lifted away. It's cleaner,more vivid,you hear more detail,it has more impact. The Klassic Haus is the one I always play....and as John would say,as cheap as chips! (Well,a bit more,actually...........but Havergal Brian is better for your health! ;D)

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 02, 2015, 02:09:34 AM
Through the letterbox this morning!

Havergal Brian: The First Commercial Recordings          Heritage 2cds
                      Symphonic Movements from The Tigers Heritage
Louis Spohr      Symphonies 7 & 9 Cpo  (latest release in Cpo cycle)

Both neglected composers who have very active societies (Spohr has two!) and some people think are actually major composers. One key difference. Spohr was once actually considered to be one! Although,Brian had a very promising start to his composing career! Alas! :(
Need I add,I like them both,very much!! Do I think they are major composers? Erm? As I said,I like them both very much!! ;D

I haven't actually listened to all the Havergal Brian cd's yet. I am currently on Symphonies 10 & 21. The sound quality is stunning. The best I have heard with respect to these recordings,unless my ears deceive me?!! ::) ;D Again,I can't help thinking of the words that were often used to describe cd's when they were first released,back in the eighties,"as if a veil has been lifted",or in this case,a cotton sheet! Again,this feeling of a Mrs Mop scrubbing a worktop until you can literally see your face in it. Or,if you're old enough,that scots woman in the Ajax ads!! Remember the way those floor tiles sparkled?! Anyway,that's how it feels to listen to these recordings. Although,not wanting to sound like the late,great Les Dawson,you don't get the mother-in-law!
Fantastic! The notes are exemplary. I will say a bit more about them a bit later. One question for the moment,however. What are "Treasure Island Music"? The back of the cd says No's 10 & 21 are licensed from them. Aharr..Jim me harty..just being nosey,that's all!!
1) Much better than the earlier Unicorn CD with its dessicated top end.
2) It was Flash NOT Ajax. Please check your facts before posting.  :D
3) Malcolm's bit is exemplary anyway. I'm glad I had some dealings with the legend before he died.
If you think a veil has been lifted on the Unicorn to make it sparkle you better get some sunglasses on for the CBS disc.

cilgwyn

Flash of course! ??? ;D Now,I remember the way she said it!! Another dumb,poorly researched post,eh?!! :( ;D I am going to come back with some more observations about the superb notes,soon! :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2015, 11:04:06 AM
Flash of course! ??? ;D Now,I remember the way she said it!! Another dumb,poorly researched post,eh?!! :( ;D I am going to come back with some more observations about the superb notes,soon! :)
Molly Weir. She as also in Rentaghost. Here she is in all her glory co-starring with Audrey from Corrie.

https://youtu.be/lSrHMUo072M

John Whitmore

I don't know whether I've shared this in the past. Thought it might be of some interest.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/rnua1e55fboc8wa/The_LSSO_Havergal_Brian_recordings.pdf

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 03, 2015, 02:45:12 AM
klassichaus.us/Brian:-Symphony-No--3.php
Just listening to it now. Forgotten how good it is. However it really is best to buy the FLAC or MP3 download. If you opt for the CD you may be hit with post office charges and import duty outside of the USA. Our friend Colin had this problem. The download includes artwork for the CD case. The recording is clean, full of impact and really shines but don't expect state of the art. It's typical broadcast quality. More than good enough for my ears. The transfer has also been pitch corrected. When you go to the link click the front cover to hear some audio samples. That will give you a good idea. I like this symphony (shock,horror!!).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 05, 2015, 02:02:09 AM
Just listening to it now. Forgotten how good it is. (...) I like this symphony (shock,horror!!).

Praise the Lord!

cilgwyn

John Whitmore