Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: krummholz on August 29, 2015, 07:07:05 AMAm I correct that No. 26 has never been recorded? Or at least released commercially?

There is a mp3 download (of a radio broadcast). Handley and the New Philharmonia. I acquired it from Johan (J.Z. Herrenberg) but I don't know if he's still making it available. Hopefully someone here will point you towards a source.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Dear Krummholz, welcome aboard! Re the LSSO recording of 10 & 21, I can recommend it unreservedly. Fortunately, it has recently been reissued and in much better sound. Simply do a search on the Internet (I don't have a link at hand). Perhaps LSSO expert John Whitmore can join us here, too. As for 26, I have an mp3 of the only performance ever (1976). Send me an email at herrenberg@gmail.com...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

krummholz

Thanks for the replies! The reason I had doubts about the Unicorn is that I thought I'd read earlier in the thread that the 10th was still awaiting a professional performance on record, and the Loughran dates from the 1980s, I think.

J. Z. Herrenberg, email sent. Thank you!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Email sent.

BTW,  a new recording of no. 10 is there, coupled with 30 and two other works. An excellent CD on the Dutton label. For the current state of Brian recordings, I'd check the site of the Havergal Brian Society.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 29, 2015, 08:58:12 AM
Dear Krummholz, welcome aboard! Re the LSSO recording of 10 & 21, I can recommend it unreservedly. Fortunately, it has recently been reissued and in much better sound. Simply do a search on the Internet (I don't have a link at hand). Perhaps LSSO expert John Whitmore can join us here, too. As for 26, I have an mp3 of the only performance ever (1976). Send me an email at herrenberg@gmail.com...
Here's the link to the 1972 LSSO 10/21 coupled with their later 1974 CBS LP on the Heritage label. Fully restored from the original masters. After years of trying I finally managed to locate the CBS masters and got in touch with the HBS and Heritage who then decided to release it along with the Unicorn. I'm very biased but I still think that the Loughran 10 is the best interpretation and the playing is never less than good. The LSSO No.22 also holds its place very well. Sound quality is very good analogue. I like being an expert. That's a first!"!  :D I have also included a link to the LSSO Unknown Warrior film which you will enjoy. This is part 1 of 3. You will find the other parts once you watch this.

http://www.heritage-records.com/classical-orchestral-cd-album-titles/havergal-brian-the-first-commercial-recordings

https://youtu.be/9f7_wiFeDIU

J.Z. Herrenberg

Ta very much, John.

And yes, you really are an LSSO expert.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 30, 2015, 02:26:42 AM
Ta very much, John.

And yes, you really are an LSSO expert.
Blimey. Do I get a salary, pension and company car? By the way, Krummholz, I uploaded a vinyl transfer of the LSSO 10 some time ago. Here's the link. Judge for yourself before you buy it. Also, beware getting the earlier Unicorn CD issues second hand on Ebay. The transfer is dry and horrible. The new Heritage double CD set sounds more like the vinyl and is far superior. The Heritage CBS transfer is also superb compared to the original and quite dreadfully toppy CBS vinyl pressing. If you wish to read archive info relating to these Brian recordings here's a link to my website:
http://www.lsso.co.uk/LSSO%20Brian%20for%20web.htm
Upload of symphony 10
https://youtu.be/Koaa9O7zznU
End of advertising campaign!  :)

Augustus

Quote from: krummholz on August 29, 2015, 07:07:05 AM
...  and I'm not aware of any extant recordings of 13 or 14 on CD

I don't think anyone has yet pointed out Symphony 13 is on Dutton, with the Violin Concerto, English Suite 4 and The Tinker's Wedding overture.  On symphonies we await only 14, 26 and a professional recording of 21, good though the pioneering LSSO disc is. 

I believe 14 is being recorded sometime this autumn for Dutton with Sym 2.  On past form, that should see the disc issued fairly early next year.  That will mean Brabbins will have recorded as many as nine of the Symphonies: 1, 2, 5, 10, 13, 14, 19, 27 and 30.  That's surely more than any other conductor?

John Whitmore

By the way, Krummholz, here's something else that might interest you. Go to this link:
http://www.klassichaus.us/
and then open the Brian section on the tab called "Collaborations".These are LP transfers that I was involved in producing.The downloads are as cheap as chips and well worth a listen. I hope agent Herrenberg will agree. If you are interested in trying one out I would go for the wonderful version of No.3. It's a classic in excellent sound.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for helping out, Augustus. I am busy.

Quote from: Augustus on August 30, 2015, 03:09:22 AMThat will mean Brabbins will have recorded as many as nine of the Symphonies: 1, 2, 5, 10, 13, 14, 19, 27 and 30.  That's surely more than any other conductor?

I think so, too.

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 30, 2015, 03:16:33 AMThe downloads are as cheap as chips and well worth a listen. I hope agent Herrenberg will agree. If you are interested in trying one out I would go for the wonderful version of No.3. It's a classic in excellent sound.

Yep.

krummholz

Quote from: Augustus on August 30, 2015, 03:09:22 AM
I don't think anyone has yet pointed out Symphony 13 is on Dutton, with the Violin Concerto, English Suite 4 and The Tinker's Wedding overture.  On symphonies we await only 14, 26 and a professional recording of 21, good though the pioneering LSSO disc is.
I didn't realize that, but now see that the Dutton 13 is indeed available on Amazon over here. I stand corrected, thank you!

krummholz

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 30, 2015, 03:05:41 AM
Blimey. Do I get a salary, pension and company car? By the way, Krummholz, I uploaded a vinyl transfer of the LSSO 10 some time ago. Here's the link. Judge for yourself before you buy it. Also, beware getting the earlier Unicorn CD issues second hand on Ebay. The transfer is dry and horrible. The new Heritage double CD set sounds more like the vinyl and is far superior. The Heritage CBS transfer is also superb compared to the original and quite dreadfully toppy CBS vinyl pressing. If you wish to read archive info relating to these Brian recordings here's a link to my website:
http://www.lsso.co.uk/LSSO%20Brian%20for%20web.htm
Upload of symphony 10
https://youtu.be/Koaa9O7zznU
End of advertising campaign!  :)
Argh, John, thanks for the warning. The older Unicorn CD issue is indeed the one I was thinking of buying. As of yet the 2-CD reissue does not seem to be available over here and I'm not sure what extra charges would be involved in ordering from amazon.uk. Prestoclassical.uk might be the way to go as they disclose details for dispatches to the US.

Will check out the collaborations page you linked to later...

krummholz

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 29, 2015, 08:16:05 PM
Email sent.

BTW,  a new recording of no. 10 is there, coupled with 30 and two other works. An excellent CD on the Dutton label. For the current state of Brian recordings, I'd check the site of the Havergal Brian Society.

Yes, I have the Brabbins 10/30 on Dutton and love it, especially the 10th. The real eye-opener for me on that release was actually the Concerto for Orchestra. I need to listen to it again soon...

Thanks to all for the help and recommendations! I appreciate them very much.

John Whitmore

Quote from: krummholz on August 30, 2015, 09:53:24 AM
Argh, John, thanks for the warning. The older Unicorn CD issue is indeed the one I was thinking of buying. As of yet the 2-CD reissue does not seem to be available over here and I'm not sure what extra charges would be involved in ordering from amazon.uk. Prestoclassical.uk might be the way to go as they disclose details for dispatches to the US.

Will check out the collaborations page you linked to later...
If you buy the Unicorn CD just use it as a drinks coaster.You would be far better off with the vinyl. Send an email to Tim Grocott at Heritage via their website - we worked together on the reissue and maybe he can help you get hold of the new set. It's well worth buying.In the meantime here's a link to a pdf file containing some of my LSSO press cuttings. You might enjoy it.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0zg9buwbbbwxxb9/The_LSSO_Havergal_Brian_recordings.pdf

Augustus

https://twitter.com/RSNO?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
See 5 Sept entry

Knowing the RSNO are due to record Brian 2 & 14 sometime this autumn, a friend of mine just called my attention to this picture posted 5 September on the RSNO Twitter feed.  Could this be the recording session for Brian's 2nd?  There seem to be two pianos in front of the orchestra, an organ and a positive multiplicity of horns in the side stalls which could suggest the "Battle scherzo"?  Is there any other work that might explain these forces?

relm1

Quote from: Augustus on September 10, 2015, 10:55:04 AM
https://twitter.com/RSNO?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
See 5 Sept entry

Knowing the RSNO are due to record Brian 2 & 14 sometime this autumn, a friend of mine just called my attention to this picture posted 5 September on the RSNO Twitter feed.  Could this be the recording session for Brian's 2nd?  There seem to be two pianos in front of the orchestra, an organ and a positive multiplicity of horns in the side stalls which could suggest the "Battle scherzo"?  Is there any other work that might explain these forces?

Brian No. 2 looks like a good bet.  Woohoo!

Maestro267

Yep. Seems to be it. It seems like this recording will use Brian's desired 16 horns as well, unlike the Marco Polo/Naxos one, which states in its liner notes that only eight are used there.

J.Z. Herrenberg

It seems to be the real thing alright...

:)

Maestro267

Ordered a haul of discs today, so later this week hopefully I'll be adding a whopping SIX new Havergal Brian symphonies to my collection. The EMI 2-disc set with Nos. 7-9, 31 and The Tinker's Wedding, and the Naxos disc with Nos. 11 & 15, the overtures For Valour and Dr. Merryheart.

Currently I have Nos. 1, 3, 4 & 12.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 04, 2015, 08:49:25 AM
Ordered a haul of discs today, so later this week hopefully I'll be adding a whopping SIX new Havergal Brian symphonies to my collection. The EMI 2-disc set with Nos. 7-9, 31 and The Tinker's Wedding, and the Naxos disc with Nos. 11 & 15, the overtures For Valour and Dr. Merryheart.

Currently I have Nos. 1, 3, 4 & 12.

Excellent...ten down, twenty-two to go  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"