Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

I see there are two Brian part songs being given at the English Music Festival in Dorchester on Sunday 29th May in the 19.00 concert by the City of London Choir: "Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day" and "Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind".
https://www.englishmusicfestival.org.uk/programme.html

Augustus

Yesterday was the day Brian's The Vision of Cleopatra was to be performed in Bristol.  Did anyone go and can update us about the piece and performance?

relm1

Did anyone here manage to attend the premiere of Brian/Pickard Vision of Cleopatra or find a review of it?

Maestro267

I'm listening to a fantastic "introductory talk" on Brian's music from the HB Society's website. Why haven't I heard this before? Plenty of music excerpts included too.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 28, 2016, 07:41:19 AM
I'm listening to a fantastic "introductory talk" on Brian's music from the HB Society's website. Why haven't I heard this before? Plenty of music excerpts included too.

It's excellent. The late Malcolm MacDonald did a wonderful job, as usual.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Scion7

I've been up since 2 a.m., and have just finished reading all 346 pages of this thread topic.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scion7 on May 25, 2016, 04:20:41 AM
I've been up since 2 a.m., and have just finished reading all 346 pages of this thread topic.

A near Gothic feat. I'm impressed  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Maestro267

Happy to say I'm about to add 8 more Brian symphonies to my collection:

No. 2 (Moscow SO/Rowe)
Nos. 5, 19 & 27 (RSNO/Brabbins)
Nos. 20 & 25 (NSO Ukraine/Penny)
Nos. 17 & 32 (RTÉ SO/Leaper)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 01, 2016, 05:05:53 AM
Happy to say I'm about to add 8 more Brian symphonies to my collection:

No. 2 (Moscow SO/Rowe)
Nos. 5, 19 & 27 (RSNO/Brabbins)
Nos. 20 & 25 (NSO Ukraine/Penny)
Nos. 17 & 32 (RTÉ SO/Leaper)

Great to hear! One caveat, though - do NOT buy the Naxos Second Symphony. There will be a far better recording out next month with Brabbins...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on June 01, 2016, 05:39:11 AM
Ahoy there, Johan!

Ahoy, Karl!

(Alive but busy in very fruitful ways...)

Maestro267

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 01, 2016, 05:08:27 AM
Great to hear! One caveat, though - do NOT buy the Naxos Second Symphony. There will be a far better recording out next month with Brabbins...

You're kidding?! Oh well. It's done now. I'll get the new one as well, as I believe it's paired with No. 14.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 01, 2016, 06:09:33 AM
You're kidding?! Oh well. It's done now. I'll get the new one as well, as I believe it's paired with No. 14.

Correct. That will be a very instructive case of 'compare & contrast', then!

Maestro267

All my Brian discs arrived this morning. Currently at the finale of No. 2 as I write, and I am very impressed by this work. Plenty of Brian's characteristically wonderful orchestral effects, not least the contrast of high divided violins and low brass, organ and percussion.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Good to hear it. I find that the Naxos 2 gradually gets better. And the Finale comes off well. Still, I cannot wait for the Brabbins!

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 01, 2016, 05:08:27 AM

What prove do we have that the new second will be out next month. I can't find any mention of it.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

In the latest HBS Newsletter (244, March-April) the editor said that Dutton had scheduled the CD for release in June. Perhaps there is a slight delay.

cilgwyn

There's still a few days of June to go,Johan! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hope springs eternal, cilgwyn...