Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Just think (and I'm sure you have! ;D). Within the next few weeks we could actually be listening to Brian's Second Symphony No 2 in start of the art digital quality sound?!! ??? :o ;D
By the way,while s/h copies of Vol 2 remain sky high;the third volume of MM's survey of Brian's symphonies keeps popping up in cheap s/copies on places like Amazon,ebay,Abe Books (etc). According to the cover it only covers the last three symphonies;but according to some,including a surprised reviewer on Amazon;there is allot more to it than that. How much? What can I expect if I fork out?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 05:46:37 AM
the third volume of MM's survey of Brian's symphonies keeps popping up in cheap s/copies on places like Amazon,ebay,Abe Books (etc). According to the cover it only covers the last three symphonies;but according to some,including a surprised reviewer on Amazon;there is allot more to it than that. How much? What can I expect if I fork out?

The preface and chapters on the last three symphonies take up 78 pages. There are a further 230 pages devoted to various topics with chapter titles including: The Roots of Brian's Symphonism; Line and Harmony; Tonality and Form; Brian and the Orchestra; The Symphonies as Drama; Brian's Mind; Elegy and Recapitulation; and a wonderful Epilogue, summing up Brian's achievement and what he means to MM.  In a nutshell, a must read for Brian enthusiasts.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

DaveF

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 05:46:37 AM
What can I expect if I fork out?

If you're anywhere near Abergavenny you're welcome to come & have a look at my copy - although with our permanent temporary roadworks plus preparations for the Eisteddfod you'll be lucky to get anywhere near the place...
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

cilgwyn

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 22, 2016, 06:04:12 AM
The preface and chapters on the last three symphonies take up 78 pages. There are a further 230 pages devoted to various topics with chapter titles including: The Roots of Brian's Symphonism; Line and Harmony; Tonality and Form; Brian and the Orchestra; The Symphonies as Drama; Brian's Mind; Elegy and Recapitulation; and a wonderful Epilogue, summing up Brian's achievement and what he means to MM.  In a nutshell, a must read for Brian enthusiasts.

Sarge
Thank you,Sarge.All the info I needed there (the book aside! ;D). "Brian's mind",eh?! I also understand,that it includes a rundown of MM's favourite Brian symphonies (A sort of Brian Top of the Pops!)
I just looked at the Dutton artwork. Thanks for the link,Maestro! I'm not sure what to think of that,yet. It does fit in with some of the mental images No14 evokes,though!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'm in complete agreement with Sarge. Vol. 3 is a must-read for every Brianite.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

The artwork seems to tie in with the Goethean and medieval inspiration behind the Second Symphony...

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 06:25:49 AM
Thank you,Sarge.All the info I needed there (the book aside! ;D). "Brian's mind",eh?! I also understand,that it includes a rundown of MM's favourite Brian symphonies (A sort of Brian Top of the Pops!)
I just looked at the Dutton artwork. Thanks for the link,Maestro! I'm not sure what to think of that,yet. It does fit in with some of the mental images No14 evokes,though!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 06:25:49 AM
I also understand,that it includes a rundown of MM's favourite Brian symphonies (A sort of Brian Top of the Pops!)

It does. He excludes The Gothic, saying it's "unrankable" and then lists a Top 5, including one really surprising choice. He then puts the rest at various levels.

Sarge

Maestro267

I wonder how long we'll have to wait before we get commercial recordings of the remaining symphonies, Nos. 21 & 26.

I'm also aware that I'm having to buy multiple recordings of certain works in order to complete (as far as possible) the symphony cycle. For example, I have two Festal Dances (not a substantial work, so no big deal really). But I'll need to get both recordings of the Violin Concerto (quite a substantial work) in order to get the 13th and 18th Symphonies.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 22, 2016, 06:43:23 AM
I wonder how long we'll have to wait before we get commercial recordings of the remaining symphonies, Nos. 21 & 26.

21 has been available on CD (not sure if it is oop now):

Sarge

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 22, 2016, 06:34:52 AM
It does. He excludes The Gothic after saying it's "unrankable" and then lists a Top 5, including one really surprising choice. He then puts the rest at various levels.

Sarge

I've always thought the Gothic was pretty rank.

(Runs away, fleeing the wrath . . . . )
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

cilgwyn

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 22, 2016, 06:34:52 AM
It does. He excludes The Gothic after saying it's "unrankable" and then lists a Top 5, including one really surprising choice. He then puts the rest at various levels.

Sarge
And I'll need to buy the book to find out what that "really surprising choice" is,Sarge?!! ;D

Well,it's not 4 (!!) 13 or 14........so (thinking hard :-\).....

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on June 22, 2016, 06:54:42 AM
I've always thought the Gothic was pretty rank.

(Runs away, fleeing the wrath . . . . )

Fleeing the wrath and the bazooka!

(poco) Sforzando

cilgwyn

It can't be No 9?!!........... :-[

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 06:57:53 AM
And I'll need to buy the book to find out what that "really surprising choice" is,Sarge?!! ;D

Well,it's not 4 (!!) 13 or 14........so (thinking hard :-\).....

I didn't want to spoil it for you, just in case you do buy the book  ;D  I'll tell you if you really want to know now. I will say the surprising choice is not 14, which he ranks at the bottom   ??? >:(

Sarge

cilgwyn

That would have been surprising,Sarge!! ::) ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 07:00:17 AM
It can't be No 9?!!........... :-[

Sarge is a bit cruel... Reading MM's  choices again, I wonder if I still agree with him. I must say that after living with Brian's music for so long, I find it difficult to rank the symphonies, although some are stronger.

cilgwyn

Okay,here goes! No 11?! :-\

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 07:07:25 AM
Okay,here goes! No 11?! :-\

Ha! Nope.

My choice for the six best would be 8, 10, 16, 22, 27, 30.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 22, 2016, 07:05:16 AM
Sarge is a bit cruel... Reading MM's  choices again, I wonder if I still agree with him.

I only agree with one of his choices.

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 07:05:09 AM
That would have been surprising,Sarge!! ::) ;D

You don't like 14? I'm probably (undoubtedly) in the minority in that I'm looking forward to the new release more for 14 than 2 (I've been less happy with the Marco Polo than most here).

Sarge