Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 25, 2016, 05:43:50 AM
The HB Faust Faust is near to 90% of the targe amountt! Well,not far to go!! :o :o

That's good. My contribution to the Brian cause must take other forms. Still, great that people donate!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Maestro267

At least I know now not to expect the Brian 8/21/26 disc for a good few months yet.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Augustus on August 25, 2016, 05:28:09 AM
Did we know Alex Walker is recording three more Brian symphonies for Naxos next month in Moscow?  His website says Nos. 8, 21 & 26.

I'd heard rumors...nice to know it's really happening  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 25, 2016, 10:43:55 AM
At least I know now not to expect the Brian 8/21/26 disc for a good few months yet.

Until Sarge's post, I thought 8/21/26 was . . . a date, and that you were being very dry.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2016, 10:55:51 AM
Until Sarge's post, I thought 8/21/26 was . . . a date, and that you were being very dry.

For Havergalians, that is how long the wait seems  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 25, 2016, 11:00:48 AMFor Havergalians, that is how long the wait seems  ;D

Sarge
Brianites have even more endurance.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

And humour is the only way, for Havergalians and Brianites alike, to endure their terrifying hardship.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 25, 2016, 11:40:22 AM
And humour is the only way, for Havergalians and Brianites alike, to endure their terrifying hardship.
Havergalians AND Brianites?!! I hope this isn't some kind of break-a-way movement!
We'll have one faction wanting to record Faust and one wanting to record Turandot!
Who knows where this could lead?
We could end up like the SDP!!! >:(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 25, 2016, 11:20:41 PM
Havergalians AND Brianites?!! I hope this isn't some kind of break-a-way movement!
We'll have one faction wanting to record Faust and one wanting to record Turandot!
Who knows where this could lead?
We could end up like the SDP!!! >:(

* shudders *

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on August 26, 2016, 01:46:26 AM
Yes. Great to learn the SDP still exists.

Ghosts are real.

cilgwyn

My point! They don't!! ;D

cilgwyn

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 21, 2016, 10:14:05 AM
There's still a few days of June to go,Johan! ;D
Those were the days when I could actually spell your name correctly! :-[
I just noticed those exchanges on the Langgaard thread! My apologies for this. (Putting on my reading glasses might help a bit!)
You can call me cilgwynn,if you like?!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2016, 07:43:26 AM
Those were the days when I could actually spell your name correctly! :-[
I just noticed those exchanges on the Langgaard thread! My apologies for this. (Putting on my reading glasses might help a bit!)
You can call me cilgwynn,if you like?!!

Ha! 'Johann' is the German variant. I forgive you.

J.Z. Herrenberg

From the latest Newsletter of the HBS:

"As we go to press, news has reached us that there will be a studio performance of the symphony no. 6, the Sinfonia Tragica at 14:30 on Tuesday October 11th at the BBC's Maida Vale studios in London, to be given by Martyn Brabbins and the BBC Symphony Orchestra. The programme will also feature Edmund Rubbra's 11th symphony and an as yet unspecified concerto."

Another performance of the wonderful Tragica!

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 04, 2016, 11:27:56 PM
From the latest Newsletter of the HBS:

"As we go to press, news has reached us that there will be a studio performance of the symphony no. 6, the Sinfonia Tragica at 14:30 on Tuesday October 11th at the BBC's Maida Vale studios in London, to be given by Martyn Brabbins and the BBC Symphony Orchestra. The programme will also feature Edmund Rubbra's 11th symphony and an as yet unspecified concerto."

Another performance of the wonderful Tragica!
Indeed. My family at one time lived in Maida Vale and I'd often go to performances at the BBC Studio there. My uncle worked for the Performing Rights Society so he got us tickets.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on September 05, 2016, 12:18:54 AM
Indeed. My family at one time lived in Maida Vale and I'd often go to performances at the BBC Studio there. My uncle worked for the Performing Rights Society so he got us tickets.

In 1988 I came over to hear Brian's Third performed there. So I know the place too!

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 05, 2016, 12:24:31 AM
In 1988 I came over to hear Brian's Third performed there. So I know the place too!
Will you come over for this one Johan? I'm sure that my old friend the Stena Hollandica could bring you across from The Hook! If I'm not away I might well try to go, especially to hear the Rubbra as well as the 'Tragica'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on September 05, 2016, 12:32:53 AM
Will you come over for this one Johan? I'm sure that my old friend the Stena Hollandica could bring you across from The Hook! If I'm not away I might well try to go, especially to hear the Rubbra as well as the 'Tragica'.

I don't think I'll be able to, this time.

"The concert is likely to be a BBC Invitation Concert, with a ballot for free tickets that can be applied for through the BBC Ticket Unit, so please watch their website (www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/) for details whenever they appear."

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 05, 2016, 12:37:20 AM
I don't think I'll be able to, this time.

"The concert is likely to be a BBC Invitation Concert, with a ballot for free tickets that can be applied for through the BBC Ticket Unit, so please watch their website (www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/) for details whenever they appear."

Yes, I've just been on the site but I think that I might be away then. Probably HBS nutters have already purchased all the tickets anyway.  8)