Wagner's Valhalla

Started by Greta, April 07, 2007, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Bump.

Anyone listening to any Wagner lately? I'm still kicking myself for missing Das Rheingold here in Atlanta, GA a few weeks ago, as I'm finally starting to listen to full Wagner operas lately, it seems.

Also in the middle of reading Alex Ross's Wagnerism, a very interesting book, published since the most recent post in this thread, so I suppose I should ask if any of the Wagnerians here have read it with any interest?

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 19, 2023, 02:39:45 PMBump.

Anyone listening to any Wagner lately? I'm still kicking myself for missing Das Rheingold here in Atlanta, GA a few weeks ago, as I'm finally starting to listen to full Wagner operas lately, it seems.

Also in the middle of reading Alex Ross's Wagnerism, a very interesting book, published since the most recent post in this thread, so I suppose I should ask if any of the Wagnerians here have read it with any interest?

Which Ring cycle did you end up with, or still undecided?

vers la flamme

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 19, 2023, 05:59:25 PMWhich Ring cycle did you end up with, or still undecided?

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one, though I did buy the Dohnányi/Cleveland Rheingold recently, and have been listening to that a lot.

Ganondorf

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 19, 2023, 02:39:45 PMAlso in the middle of reading Alex Ross's Wagnerism, a very interesting book, published since the most recent post in this thread, so I suppose I should ask if any of the Wagnerians here have read it with any interest?

So sorry that you missed Rheingold  :(  If it's any consolation, I am kicking myself for having missed Puccini's Fanciulla years ago when I had a chance.
I mentioned in reading thread that I recently read Roger Scruton's Ring of Truth - The Wisdom of Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung which analyzes in superb way Ring. It is influenced greatly by Paul Heise's analysis of Ring (available for free online in Wagnerheim) but I find Roger Scruton's more enjoyable mainly because Heise's interpretation is a bit too abstract (the very thing Scruton himself said even though he was still influenced by Heise in some ways). Heise's is in no way bad and I like it a great deal - just a personal preference for Scruton. If you ever get the chance, I recommend reading Scruton's book. He has also made books about Tristan (which I am currently reading) and Parsifal I think was one of the last of his before his passing.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Ganondorf on May 20, 2023, 11:01:14 AMSo sorry that you missed Rheingold  :(  If it's any consolation, I am kicking myself for having missed Puccini's Fanciulla years ago when I had a chance.
I mentioned in reading thread that I recently read Roger Scruton's Ring of Truth - The Wisdom of Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung which analyzes in superb way Ring. It is influenced greatly by Paul Heise's analysis of Ring (available for free online in Wagnerheim) but I find Roger Scruton's more enjoyable mainly because Heise's interpretation is a bit too abstract (the very thing Scruton himself said even though he was still influenced by Heise in some ways). Heise's is in no way bad and I like it a great deal - just a personal preference for Scruton. If you ever get the chance, I recommend reading Scruton's book. He has also made books about Tristan (which I am currently reading) and Parsifal I think was one of the last of his before his passing.

My dumb ass waited until 1 hour before showtime on the last day to buy my ticket, by which time it was sold out. :( I'm moving to New York in a couple of months, hopefully I'll get the chance to see some Wagner while I'm there. I have never been to the opera in any capacity.

That Scruton book sounds cool, I'll have to look out for it.

vers la flamme

I would also like to get a recording of Hollander. Any recommendations?

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 25, 2023, 06:45:30 AMI would also like to get a recording of Hollander. Any recommendations?
Definitely Karajan/BPO, there's no more powerful, evocative recording than that one! 😊
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Valentino

My audiophile whims have now landed the complete Solti Ring on LP (yes, all 19 LPs) here. The new 2022 digital remaster on vinyl. Yes. On that analog note, the US web site Tracking Angle has a very nice long read on opera history and Ring production history, the recording of the Solti Ring, and the releases and reissues over the last 65 years. I found all three parts very good reading and viewing indeed:

https://trackingangle.com/features/the-greatest-recording-ever-made-the-decca-solti-ring-cycle-revisited-and-remastered-part-1
https://trackingangle.com/features/the-greatest-recording-ever-made-the-decca-solti-ring-cycle-revisited-and-remastered-part-2-recording-the-first-studio-ring-cycle
https://trackingangle.com/features/the-greatest-recording-ever-made-the-decca-solti-ring-cycle-revisited-part-3-listening-to-the-decca-ring
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

brewski

Was browsing YouTube looking for something else, when I stumbled across this new production of Die Walküre at La Monnaie, directed by Romeo Castellucci and conducted by Alain Altinoglu—just uploaded yesterday from performances in January and February. A quick preview shows excellent audio and video, and more information (with some photos) is here.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

lordlance

Been on a Dorati kick and pleasantly surprised by generally high quality of playing. Listening to his Tannhauser Overture/Venusburg off of MLP:

I always appreciate fluidity and not getting bogged down by slower tempi because it is more "spiritual" but in this case I am not quite so certain it suits the music. There are times when the music feels "too" fluid. Like a certain broadening of tempi or a thicker orchestral sound might work. That said though it can't really be argued that this is a slightly different approach. Not HIP Wagner certainly but also not as gloriously luxuriant as Karajan.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.