Sir John Blackwood Mcewen (1868-1948)

Started by vandermolen, September 20, 2009, 12:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Thought we had a thread on Mcewen. I really like the Solway Symphony and 'Grey Galloway' from the Border Ballads - also the string quartets. His music should appeal to admirers of late Romantic music and Bantock fans might enjoy it.  For me, the valedictory 'Where the Wild Thyme Blows' (1936), Mcewen's last work for orchestra, is his masterpiece - a hauntingly poetic score, with a bleak sibelian quality to it (also it reminded me a bit of Holst's 'Egdon Heath'). Do investigate this interesting Scottish composer.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jowcol

Okay, I couldn't let Jeffrey twist in the wind. Also, I've got the blood of four different clans mixed up on my family tree, so I had to give it a try. (So why does a Scottish composer use a Mc and not a Mac?)   I went to Classicsonline and picked this up. 

(For the record Jeffrey has been a TERRIBLE influence on my bank account, even though I haven't gone as far as to collect 20 versions of Walton's First  ::))

Where the Wild Thyme Blows is spooky, haunting, and I  KNOW I'll be listening to it more and more.  I also get the Tapioloa/Egdon Heath vibe from it. I haven't tried the others yet, I think I'll play this one a few more times. But really cool if you like late Romantic.  Also I'm getting a taste of RVW's 9th.

I've also noticed our friend Jeffrey has a thing for "Valedictory works".   It's part of the psychological profile I'm working up...... >:D

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

The new erato

Quote from: jowcol on September 25, 2009, 11:33:07 AM

I've also noticed our friend Jeffrey has a thing for "Valedictory works".   It's part of the psychological profile I'm working up...... >:D

Ah - the plot thickens. The "Profiler" has been called in.

vandermolen

Quote from: jowcol on September 25, 2009, 11:33:07 AM
Okay, I couldn't let Jeffrey twist in the wind. Also, I've got the blood of four different clans mixed up on my family tree, so I had to give it a try. (So why does a Scottish composer use a Mc and not a Mac?)   I went to Classicsonline and picked this up.  

(For the record Jeffrey has been a TERRIBLE influence on my bank account, even though I haven't gone as far as to collect 20 versions of Walton's First  ::))

Where the Wild Thyme Blows is spooky, haunting, and I  KNOW I'll be listening to it more and more.  I also get the Tapioloa/Egdon Heath vibe from it. I haven't tried the others yet, I think I'll play this one a few more times. But really cool if you like late Romantic.  Also I'm getting a taste of RVW's 9th.

I've also noticed our friend Jeffrey has a thing for "Valedictory works".   It's part of the psychological profile I'm working up...... >:D

If you think that your bank balance is in a bad way you should see mine (and other members of this forum are implicated in this sorry financial mess!) However, I was able to scrape around to buy the reissued EMI Walton's First Symphony (cond. Walton). I already have the same recording in an earlier incantation (several actually) but this one has a different cover photo. So what I never said before was that all my 24 versions of Walton's First Symphony are of the same recording  ;D

Glad you like Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony - one of the great 'valedictory' scores. I look forward to reading your psychological profile (the words obsessive-compulsive may feature). I though that our other Scottish friend Colin (Dunndonell) might respond but he seems to have been absent for a long time  :(

Thanks for responses  :)

Glad you liked the Wild Thyme - great work

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2009, 12:52:04 AM

If you think that your bank balance is in a bad way you should see mine (and other members of this forum are implicated in this sorry financial mess!) However, I was able to scrape around to buy the reissued EMI Walton's First Symphony  ;D I already have the same recording in an earlier incantation (several actually) but this one has a different cover photo. So what I never said before was that all my 24 versions of Walton's First Symphony are of the same recording  ;D

Glad you like Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony - one of the great 'valedictory' scores. I look forward to reading your psychological profile (the words obsessive-compulsive may feature). I though that our other scottish friend Colin (Dunndonell) might respond but he seems to have been absent for a long time  :(

Thanks for responses  :)

Glad you liked the Wild Thyme - great work
I just caught on to the fact (due to a recent BBC television program about 60ies pop) that Waltons nephew was a record producer for the Who in the 60-ies. William Walton was queried as to what he thought about this rock music, and he answered that he thought it wasn't modern enough. Sorry for the OT.

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on September 26, 2009, 12:56:39 AM
I just caught on to the fact (due to a recent BBC television program about 60ies pop) that Waltons nephew was a record producer for the Who in the 60-ies. William Walton was queried as to what he thought about this rock music, and he answered that he thought it wasn't modern enough. Sorry for the OT.

OT

I remember an interview on TV with Walton; when asked for his views on pop music , he replied (in a very posh voice) " Oh, I don't like groups like The Whooooo"

jowcol

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2009, 12:52:04 AM

I look forward to reading your psychological profile (the words obsessive-compulsive may feature).

Actually, I think everybody in this forum, by definition, is obsessive-compulsive.  I know I am.

(BTW-- another one of Jeffrey's major obsessions-- the slow elegaic movements....)
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: jowcol on September 26, 2009, 04:15:05 AM

(BTW-- another one of Jeffrey's major obsessions-- the slow elegaic movements....)

Especially if they they have a valedictory quality  ;D

Lethevich

Having listened to the composer's music for a good few weeks, I can conclude that I am very impressed by everything I have heard. The composer's basic style offers an intoxicating sense of Stanford-deluxe; all that you enjoyed about Stanford, but wish were less restrained, might possibly be found here. Occasionally the orchestral music offers real clues as to where Bax and Vaughan Williams emerged from.

The Border Ballads, especially Grey Galloway (a favourite of Havergal Brian), are magnificent. Expertly proportioned works, and with strong melodic material that always comes in well before the mind begins to wander. The scoring also ideally fits the subjects - the brass towards the end of the aforementioned piece is such a beautiful resolution, not dissimilar from the mystical way that Bantock wrote. The opening of Hymn on the Morning of Christ's Nativity is another example of how far removed the composer's music can be from his compatriots, with its decidedly impolite proto-Baxian tone.

The quartets are excellent as well, offering a consistently rewarding and contrasting series of works which are rather individual in tone. The 7th and 16th quartets, both with a strong concept, are tailored towards their differing moods. The harmonic language is also slightly more advanced from what I am used to from Parry, Mackenzie, etc, though it always serves to flavour the traditionally structured works than transform them. I find them easily able to stand alongside those of, say, Taneyev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, etc. The violin sonata disc on Chandos is very impressive, full of the mythical Romanticism of a composer like Medtner. I would insta-buy a recording of his piano trios (he apparently wrote four) if such a thing were recorded, not to mention the rest of the sonatas.

I suppose that my overriding feeling of the composer's output is that it should be dry and academic, but never is. This is not to say that McEwen's music pushes the envelope all that often, but it's always startlingly creative and affirmative, and quite impressively rarely feels as though the composer is just going through the motions.

Fans of Hebrides-style Mendelssohn, Stanford's Irish rhapsodies, and perhaps those frustrated by Bax's meanderings really ought to hear this. Perhaps even Rimsky Korsakov (a very tentative link) fans could find something of value - certainly those who admire Medtner's violin sonatas really need to investigate McEwen's chamber music.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

cilgwyn

By dinasman at 2011-12-04

After listening to some French chamber music by Faure,amongst others,I put this on. Apart from his use of folksongs in the Scottish Rhapsody (Prince Charlie) you probably wouldn't these pieces were by a Scottish composer if you heard them 'blind'. But who compares when the music is as good as this? Radio 3 could  schedule some of this music instead of all the usual stuff.

Actually,I'm VERY impressed,indeed. This music is really VERY good!! ;D I think I will dig out my cds of the String quartets and piano music next! :)

Szykneij

I just heard Mcewen's "Violin Sonata No. 6 in G Major" (Olivier Charlier, violin; Geoffrey Tozer, piano; Chandos) on the local classical radio station and was quite impressed. It was composed after he retired to southern France and is distinctively Ravelian in effect.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

SymphonicAddict

I'm listening to Grey Galloway from Three Border Ballads (Chandos recording) right now. What a wonderful piece of music, simply astounding, it sounds so heroic! Comparisons are not good, but it's somewhat similar to Bantock's style (they were born the same year, indeed).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 19, 2017, 01:50:32 PM
I'm listening to Grey Galloway from Three Border Ballads (Chandos recording) right now. What a wonderful piece of music, simply astounding, it sounds so heroic! Comparisons are not good, but it's somewhat similar to Bantock's style (they were born the same year, indeed).
Brilliant! My Mcewen thread arises Phoenix-like from the ashes after five years in hibernation.  8)
Grey Galloway is very fine indeed.
You must hear 'Where the Wild Thyme Blows' a very poignant and moving valedictory score.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2017, 06:51:38 AM
Brilliant! My Mcewen thread arises Phoenix-like from the ashes after five years in hibernation.  8)
Grey Galloway is very fine indeed.
You must hear 'Where the Wild Thyme Blows' a very poignant and moving valedictory score.

Yesterday I listened to the complete Border Ballads along with the Solway Symphony, Hills o' Heather and Where the Wild Thyme Blows. I enjoyed so much all these works, they are in a full postromantic/impressionistic vein. Where the Wild Thyme Blows reminded me of Delius, I felt a quiet and foggy atmosphere, also a melancholic air. I don't know why composers like this one are not recorded more often. I think the answer is pure marketing issue. Really sad.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 20, 2017, 03:39:54 PM
Yesterday I listened to the complete Border Ballads along with the Solway Symphony, Hills o' Heather and Where the Wild Thyme Blows. I enjoyed so much all these works, they are in a full postromantic/impressionistic vein. Where the Wild Thyme Blows reminded me of Delius, I felt a quiet and foggy atmosphere, also a melancholic air. I don't know why composers like this one are not recorded more often. I think the answer is pure marketing issue. Really sad.
Yes, very much agree with you. Good that Chandos recorded them at all. The chamber music on Chandos is also worth investigating although the orchestral works like the Solway Symphony remains my favourite. There's a very early recording of the Solway Symphony but the Chandos version is the one to have.

Symphonic Addict

Listening to the No. 6 Biscay, a work full of appealing ideas and memorable music. The 2nd mov. Les Dunes has an English flavour not too dissimilar to VW's pastoral style, and the 3rd mov. La Racleuse is simply infectious, sounds like an American dance where all people are having fun.

A pity that this quartet cycle has not been finished yet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 23, 2022, 12:45:46 PM

Listening to the No. 6 Biscay, a work full of appealing ideas and memorable music. The 2nd mov. Les Dunes has an English flavour not too dissimilar to VW's pastoral style, and the 3rd mov. La Racleuse is simply infectious, sounds like an American dance where all people are having fun.

A pity that this quartet cycle has not been finished yet.

And it won't be....... not on Chandos at least.  A great shame as the McEwen quartet cycle is one of the finest/most diverse written by any British composer.   No.7 "Threnody" is a genuinely remarkable work and should be much better known..

foxandpeng

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 23, 2022, 01:37:58 PM
the McEwen quartet cycle is one of the finest/most diverse written by any British composer.   

+1 from me
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 23, 2022, 01:37:58 PM
And it won't be....... not on Chandos at least.  A great shame as the McEwen quartet cycle is one of the finest/most diverse written by any British composer.   No.7 "Threnody" is a genuinely remarkable work and should be much better known..

Sad news... the only possibility is that another record label will continue the project then.

Other quartets I find to be quite fine are Nos. 4, 13, 15 and 16.

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 23, 2022, 02:04:48 PM
+1 from me

+2
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky