oldies but goodies on 78's

Started by zamyrabyrd, September 21, 2009, 01:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

The Internet Archive is an excellent source for 78 freaks like myself.
http://www.archive.org/details/78rpm

The last time I heard this recording must have been about 40 years ago on an uncle's 78.

Lucrezia Bori's voice was enchanting then as now:
http://www.archive.org/details/VrsAcoustics-87333-LucreziaBori

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Coopmv

Mark Obert-Thorn has remastered many 78's to very listenable CD's on Naxos Historical and I just bought a bunch of them this past spring ...

Bogey

I just grabbed this one yesterday.  Obviously not  78, but was wondering where I might find info on the different "London Labels" for dating purposes?

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

Quote from: Bogey on October 10, 2009, 06:56:48 AM
I just grabbed this one yesterday.  Obviously not  78, but was wondering where I might find info on the different "London Labels" for dating purposes?

Don't know for LPs, but if was released on CD and still is in Decca catalogue you can find the date through deccaclassics.com, than search catalogue and then hit on any track of given recording, pop-up will give you recording details.

For instance that Tosca is July 1959.

Bogey

Quote from: Drasko on October 10, 2009, 07:57:17 AM
Don't know for LPs, but if was released on CD and still is in Decca catalogue you can find the date through deccaclassics.com, than search catalogue and then hit on any track of given recording, pop-up will give you recording details.

For instance that Tosca is July 1959.

Thanks, Miloš.  That will be most helpful since there is not a date on any of the older lps I have been buying.  However, where I get tripped up is when there is a later pressing and the earlier ones are suppose to have superior sound.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

Website is only for recording dates, sorry, no idea about determining the pressings. Maybe serial numbers or something like that?

Bogey

Quote from: Drasko on October 10, 2009, 08:25:04 AM
Website is only for recording dates, sorry, no idea about determining the pressings. Maybe serial numbers or something like that?

Well, if I can now match you website up with the labels it will be easy to figure out the earliest pressing of that recording, so both are vital info.

Bogey