MAC Laptop doesn't read DVDs or CDs anymore!

Started by George, September 21, 2009, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Whether its a store bought DVD/CD or a DVD-R/CD-R, my MAC laptop stopped reading all discs today.  :-[

This morning it read a DVD-R and I was able to copy files from it.

When I got home from work today, it wouldn't read anything. I tried repairing permissions, restarting the computer and nothing works.

I insert the disc, it makes some weird sounds for a few minutes, then spits it back out.  :-[

Any help, guys?

DavidW

Are Macs still made to have their own hardware and integration thereof?  So you can't just like a pc buy a new part and swap it in?  You might want to seek out an authorized repair/service center if I'm right. :-\

Scarpia

Quote from: George on September 21, 2009, 06:28:05 PM
Whether its a store bought DVD/CD or a DVD-R/CD-R, my MAC laptop stopped reading all discs today.  :-[

This morning it read a DVD-R and I was able to copy files from it.

When I got home from work today, it wouldn't read anything. I tried repairing permissions, restarting the computer and nothing works.

I insert the disc, it makes some weird sounds for a few minutes, then spits it back out.  :-[

Any help, guys?

It's busted.  Best case scenario is it's full of dust.  More than likely it will need to be swapped out.  On a PC it would probably be a $50 part, but MAC users must pay a price for being so hip.   ???

Daverz

Quote from: DavidW on September 21, 2009, 06:34:17 PM
Are Macs still made to have their own hardware and integration thereof?  So you can't just like a pc buy a new part and swap it in?  You might want to seek out an authorized repair/service center if I'm right. :-\

That's not really the issue with repair.  The real issue is that taking apart a Mac laptop or a Mac mini can be very tricky, and putting it back together can be even trickier.  I would take it to an Apple Store or authorized service center.

Coopmv

Quote from: Daverz on September 21, 2009, 07:10:53 PM
That's not really the issue with repair.  The real issue is that taking apart a Mac laptop or a Mac mini can be very tricky, and putting it back together can be even trickier.  I would take it to an Apple Store or authorized service center.

If the Mac is already out of warranty, it may not be worth repairing.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on September 21, 2009, 07:10:08 PM
On a PC it would probably be a $50 part, but MAC users must pay a price for being so hip.   ???

There's nothing cheap about a $50 repair no matter what brand of laptop it is. :-\

George, is the laptop still under warranty? If it is get to an Apple Store pronto. If not, drop by an Apple Store anyway and see what they can do for you. One thing I've found is that Apple likes their customers happy and will go the extra mile for you in a pinch.

One of the perks for being so hip! 8)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Wanderer

Go to an Apple Store as already suggested. You can also buy an external drive to do your business if the repair is too costly.

George

Quote from: Wanderer on September 22, 2009, 12:29:04 AM
Go to an Apple Store as already suggested. You can also buy an external drive to do your business if the repair is too costly.

Thanks!

About how much is an external drive? Does it burn CDs just as well or better than an internal drive?

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 21, 2009, 07:44:35 PM
George, is the laptop still under warranty? If it is get to an Apple Store pronto.

It's not.  :-[

If not, drop by an Apple Store anyway and see what they can do for you. One thing I've found is that Apple likes their customers happy and will go the extra mile for you in a pinch.

The stores here are very busy, so I want to explore all options as far as getting the one I have to run before going to the store.

Any other suggestions for what I can do on my own to try and get the drive to work?

Valentino

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: George on September 22, 2009, 02:38:19 AM
Thanks!

About how much is an external drive? Does it burn CDs just as well or better than an internal drive?

George,  Just get an external drive.  I have an HP dvd1040 external drive and I love it.  I bought it shortly after I bought my new DELL desktop last year.  It cost less than $60 at Newegg with free shipping.

George

Quote from: Coopmv on September 22, 2009, 06:34:40 PM
George,  Just get an external drive.  I have an HP dvd1040 external drive and I love it.  I bought it shortly after I bought my new DELL desktop last year.  It cost less than $60 at Newegg with free shipping.

Bought this one tonight and it works great!

http://www.jr.com/lacie/pe/LAC_301484U/

Recommended by a number of folks over at SHMF.  8)

Cato

If you have been holding the MAC with one hand on one side throughout the months, you may have warped the drive.  I was told always to hold it with two hands!

The two MAC stores I know - one in California and one here in Ohio - have been very understanding with customers, and so see if they will give you a break.

My MAC has never frozen or crashed and burned.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Coopmv

Quote from: George on September 22, 2009, 06:41:08 PM
Bought this one tonight and it works great!

http://www.jr.com/lacie/pe/LAC_301484U/

Recommended by a number of folks over at SHMF.  8)

There are some pretty good techies at SHMF, though their tastes for music are generally nothing to write home about ...