Ferneyhough's Plough

Started by snyprrr, September 29, 2009, 08:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millionrainbows

Or maybe he's referring to the "unplayability factor" as an integral part of the composer's intent, which totally vindicates Cage. It's kinda like when you purposely do something wrong to a device, to see what effect you get.

bwv 1080

Quote from: millionrainbows on May 24, 2017, 10:24:28 AM
Or maybe he's referring to the "unplayability factor" as an integral part of the composer's intent, which totally vindicates Cage. It's kinda like when you purposely do something wrong to a device, to see what effect you get.

there is nothing in BF's rhythms that is wrong - all the subdivisions add correctly.  You see things in his guitar piece Kurze Schatten II (of which I have played the 1st movement) like a harmonic held over a couple of measures  and then terminating to a rest within a 33:28 ->5:4 nested tuplet within a bar of 7/16.  The note wont sustain this long so it would not matter one way or another if the rhythm is played precisely, however it is playable as the start of the rest coincides with a harmonic struck on another string at the same point in time.  I do believe that BF's precise rhythmic notation gets a different performance than Cage's indeterminate writing.

Mandryka

The second part of the quote, about indeterminacy, I shouldn't have included it probably, was in a separate paragraph devoted to a part of Transit where the notation deliberately leaves the pitch to the performers to improvise.

Cage wrote "impossible" music to show that the impossible is not impossible.  It's not quite the same as BF.

(Re Cage, I've just noticed that there are no dynamic indications in the piano etudes but loads of them in the Freeman etudes, I don't understand why.) 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bwv 1080

A little known piece from 1980

https://youtu.be/ScxXYjgf3PU

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

I just tried to listen through all of Ferneyhough's Music for Flute (Bridge), and, whew, just couldn't do it all, so concentrated and intense, a Symphony for solo instrument... whew, again, ...

And, it's hard to tell exactly what the differences are in terms of certain gestures which are his stock in trade. There are evocative moments, with a lot of intense movement.

ANY FANS?

wolftone

I really like Mnemosyne. I remember being attracted to Cassandra's Dream Song every time I listened, but don't remember much afterwards. This does not occur to me with other works of his. Maybe I just did not focus as much.

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on February 15, 2018, 08:50:21 AM
I just tried to listen through all of Ferneyhough's Music for Flute (Bridge), and, whew, just couldn't do it all, so concentrated and intense, a Symphony for solo instrument... whew, again, ...

And, it's hard to tell exactly what the differences are in terms of certain gestures which are his stock in trade. There are evocative moments, with a lot of intense movement.

ANY FANS?
I know this may sound CRAAZYYY!!!! but maybe you don't need to listen to it all in one go...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on February 16, 2018, 10:13:30 AM
I know this may sound CRAAZYYY!!!! but maybe you don't need to listen to it all in one go...

Yea, not recommended!!

Flute Music (or... Music for Flute ::)) I need to ta ::)ke in doses. I think I realize now why most flute recitals don't go pass the 50min. mark, it'sjust too much (and makes one understa ::)nd Mozart bet ::)e ::)r!!lol)

I mean, I did sort of like each piece, but, yea, not all at once.

Quote from: wolftone on February 16, 2018, 10:02:59 AM
I really like Mnemosyne. I remember being attracted to Cassandra's Dream Song every time I listened, but don't remember much afterwards. This does not occur to me with other works of his. Maybe I just did not focus as much.

Yes, at least it has more stuff going on, like a chamber music piece,... not that all these pieces don't seem to have an orchestral palate

Still, quite a grueling wxperience,whew

bwv 1080

Superscripto is an amazing piece - how many composers could write a compelling solo piccolo work?

Mirror Image

Quote from: bwv 1080 on February 18, 2018, 11:01:00 AM
Superscript is an amazing piece - how many composers could write a compelling solo piccolo work?

Not really a question of who but really of why?

snyprrr

Quote from: bwv 1080 on February 18, 2018, 11:01:00 AM
Superscripto is an amazing piece - how many composers could write a compelling solo piccolo work?

It does illuminate some of his techniques, since, I'm guessing, the piccolo is a little more limited than the flute, necessitating a reliance of stock gestures? I did applaud his ingenuity, but, even at such a short duration, I felt that even Ferneyhough might have been asking himself, "Why?". Of all the pieces on that album, that would be the one that would get listened to a couple of times and then moved on from. In terms of that album it didn't seem that amazing, but, yes, whoomp, there it is! in all its piccolo glory-

I probably liked it better than I led on- :P

I do like 'Funerailles' a lot (Erato), ...

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: snyprrr on February 19, 2018, 10:08:57 AM
It does illuminate some of his techniques, since, I'm guessing, the piccolo is a little more limited than the flute, necessitating a reliance of stock gestures? I did applaud his ingenuity, but, even at such a short duration, I felt that even Ferneyhough might have been asking himself, "Why?". Of all the pieces on that album, that would be the one that would get listened to a couple of times and then moved on from. In terms of that album it didn't seem that amazing, but, yes, whoomp, there it is! in all its piccolo glory-

I probably liked it better than I led on- :P

Erato release of the EIC/Boulez recording? That's really good.

Also, it is a bit odd to come across a solo piccolo work, considering they are played by flautists anyway. The only reason I can imagine anyone writing one is if a friend asked specifically for one.

wolftone

Quote from: snyprrr on February 19, 2018, 10:08:57 AM
I really like the Stradivarius recording with the Arditti and ensemble recherche. Probably one of my favorite Ferneyhough records alongside 'Chamber Music' on Metier, which has Flurries, Incipits, and others. I wonder how the Stradivarius recording compares with the Erato one.

snyprrr

Quote from: wolftone on February 20, 2018, 12:22:39 AM
I really like the Stradivarius recording with the Arditti and ensemble recherche. Probably one of my favorite Ferneyhough records alongside 'Chamber Music' on Metier, which has Flurries, Incipits, and others. I wonder how the Stradivarius recording compares with the Erato one.

I seem to recall liking the Erato better, but I may be confusing pieces...  maybe it's the acoustic is better?...
Quote from: jessop on February 19, 2018, 03:57:15 PM
Erato release of the EIC/Boulez recording? That's really good.

Also, it is a bit odd to come across a solo piccolo work, considering they are played by flautists anyway. The only reason I can imagine anyone writing one is if a friend asked specifically for one.

Erato, yes... such a great recital of works! I just call it Ferneyhough's Harp Concerto!

Mandryka

I've only just noticed that this was released in March this year. I'm listening to Plötzlichkeit now and it's very impressive indeed. Good to hear it with such good sound, it's what it needs really.

Iota

This is rather strange, I'd always drawn a complete blank on Ferneyhough's music until yesterday, yet  last night, listening first to the 2nd String Quartet, then Inconjunctions, I found myself riveted to the action, they suddenly seemed clearly remarkable works, full of engaging music. A very pleasant experience I must say, and am very interested to see where it leads.

String Quartet No.2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=595&v=p8RTPYaWXj8

Incinjunctions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5pTtJWJy8

schnittkease

That's very exciting to hear!

Mandryka

Interesting things said here by Reynard Rott and BF here, and a performance of Time and Motion II

https://www.youtube.com/v/ghyN-kJpcbI

CRCulver

If I understand correctly, Ferneyhough and Roger Reynolds were faculty at UC San Diego at the same time, yet I have never seen a mention of one composer in press about the other. How did they get on during those years, and are they sympathetic to one another or not?