Ferneyhough's Plough

Started by snyprrr, September 29, 2009, 08:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Here's a Spanish analysis of Kurze Schatten II, a piece which seems to be stirring the fevered minds of more than one GMGer:

http://pt.scribd.com/doc/35208204/Analise-de-obra-Kurze-Schatten-II-de-Brian-Ferneyhough

I still haven't found a pdf of the whole thing, but here at least I have some interesting dynamic markings to contemplate. Am I seeing sfffz, mfz, pfz,... huh? I've been wondering how to score my piece dynamically, and I'm not sure my BF is helping. I'd need the score to go along with the recording ???...

Can I be honest? I either don't really LIKE the piece, or the way Magnus Anderson plays it on the recording. Now, I had MA's recital cd 'Chitarra Con Forza', which I now wish I still had ::), but I remember not particularly liking his frenetic, forceful, almost throttled, playing. When I finally heard the BF piece, I laughed, because it sounds like the most demanding pieces on that recital disc. Either the piece itself ends up sounding kind of like someone playing with a hobbled technique (which is what I think), or, MA is just obsessive.

For me, Kurze Schatten II is almost just too much of too much. I'm still just barely getting pleasure out of it, but it's not from the sounds hitting my ears really, it's what I perceive is BF's procedural processes... I don't know, it's like, OK, Brian, sorry, you're TOO SMART to write for the guitar. I mean, the piece really is a jewel (of course),... I'm just being a guitar freak,... who's better at guitar, Ferneyhough or Gatton??? ??? ???

I think I need to look into a cd recital of some kind for context...

I'd really need to hear another approach, perhaps willfully slower, or something?

lescamil

Have you guys seen Ferneyhough's Twitter account? Hilarious stuff. It was probably set up by one of his younger students at Stanford.

https://twitter.com/fernbri
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

Quote from: lescamil on November 05, 2012, 04:33:23 PM
Have you guys seen Ferneyhough's Twitter account? Hilarious stuff. It was probably set up by one of his younger students at Stanford.

that's not right ;) ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on November 05, 2012, 02:16:24 PM
Kurze Schatten II pdf

http://pt.scribd.com/doc/53705379/Brian-Ferneyhough-Kurze-Schatten-II

Wonder if my link caused this to go away. I could view, and didn't have to download. Waaah. :'(

CRCulver

Is there anything I can read about how Ferneyhough chooses pitches in his work? I know he's not writing strict 12-tone serialism, but surely he has some kind of system.

Luke

Read the Collected Writings, which are intense, impenetrable reading, but which explain most things if you persevere!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

CRCulver

I think I've read somewhere that Ferneyhough has been disappointed by how some players didn't take his work seriously and just improvised their way through concerts. Have any particular ensembles or recordings been named? What should I watch out for as I explore the Ferneyhough discography?

Octave

Quote from: lescamil on November 05, 2012, 04:33:23 PM

Thank you so much for this.  This made my day!

Quote from: Brian Ferneyhough
uggggh bros fuuuuuuuukckk i just ate a whole bag of dog foood on accident

ayo bros u think in spain they call pringles priñgles????

@lang_lang @berlinphil @steveaoki WE HIT TURBALENCE!!!!!

STANDFORD OFFICE DANCE PARTYYYYYYYYYYYUYYUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

i bet if i wait like 15 mins all the gum will totally get outta my beard

it's chill ima just pound a couple Amstel lites an play halo with deadmau6

zbros just pounded like 4 amstel lites. i dont even give a shit that theres hella bubblegum n reeses in my beard, i just wanna dance

snyprrr?

This is actually the most complex fun I've had since running into the Speed Demonz forum, though the charm of that wore out a bit more quickly.  There was a pretty good fake Slavoj Zizek twitter account going for a while too.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

snyprrr

Quote from: Octave on March 20, 2013, 03:18:03 PM
Thank you so much for this.  This made my day!

snyprrr?

This is actually the most complex fun I've had since running into the Speed Demonz forum, though the charm of that wore out a bit more quickly.  There was a pretty good fake Slavoj Zizek twitter account going for a while too.

I was just watching... don't look at me!! ;)

snyprrr

Ardittis' Ferneyhough Cycle looks to be on the verge here. 3-cds!!! Can you IMAGINE!?!?!?! Wow, that has got to be something there, huh? The Aeon label certainly is giving the Arditti free latitude to re-record a lot of their Montaigne classics.

CRCulver

What's the deal with Ferneyhough's Streichtrio? There's a Stradivarius disc that contains both his String Trio and this, suggesting they are two different pieces, and notes that Streichtrio was composed at IRCAM using Patchwork. However, there's no mention of this piece anywhere in IRCAM's internet database or at Ferneyhough's publisher. Was this piece withdrawn soon after it was recorded?

not edward

Quote from: CRCulver on September 14, 2013, 02:01:03 PM
What's the deal with Ferneyhough's Streichtrio? There's a Stradivarius disc that contains both his String Trio and this, suggesting they are two different pieces, and notes that Streichtrio was composed at IRCAM using Patchwork. However, there's no mention of this piece anywhere in IRCAM's internet database or at Ferneyhough's publisher. Was this piece withdrawn soon after it was recorded?
I don't have the inlay blurb to confirm form whom, but Streichtrio is a very short homage piece, about 90 seconds long. Presumably it is too minor a piece to have been published.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

petrarch

Quote from: CRCulver on September 14, 2013, 02:01:03 PM

It's a birthday piece to André Richard composed in 1994, the year prior to the much longer String Trio, which, like a number of works from that period (Unsichtbare Farben, for instance), also used Patchwork.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on September 16, 2013, 07:58:41 AM
It's a birthday piece to André Richard composed in 1994, the year prior to the much longer String Trio, which, like a number of works from that period (Unsichtbare Farben, for instance), also used Patchwork.

Have you heard any of Andre Richard's music (he's the Nono guy, right?). I had a cd with a Violin 'Sonata' and two chamber/orchestral works with E/A elements. Boy I should've kept that.

CRCulver

Aeon has now announced the long-awaited recording of Ferneyhough's complete string quartet and string trio cycle by the "new" Arditti Quartet.

3 CDs, Claron McFadden is the soprano in the String Quartet No. 4. Looks good.

bhodges

Quote from: CRCulver on March 27, 2014, 11:49:11 AM
Aeon has now announced the long-awaited recording of Ferneyhough's complete string quartet and string trio cycle by the "new" Arditti Quartet.

3 CDs, Claron McFadden is the soprano in the String Quartet No. 4. Looks good.

Thanks! Glad to know about this.

--Bruce

Cato

From the website for the new Arditti CD:

QuoteOn the occasion of its 40th anniversary (1974-2014), the Arditti Quartet, one of the most famous groups in contemporary music, has chosen to record, for the second time — and this is an occurrence sufficiently rare that it bears emphasizing —, the complete string quartets of Brian Ferneyhough. The pieces on these discs immediately weave an auditory spell and well illustrate this composer's brand of complexity, i.e., writing reputed to be unplayable for the instrumentalists but providing a definite pleasure for the listener, caught up in the headiness of a universe without limits or vanishing point.

(My emphasis above.)

Something for the Grammar Grumble: is the "writing" what is "caught up" or is it the "listener" who is "caught up" in that heady universe?

The writing of this promotional paragraph is also pretty "heady."   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

snyprrr

Quote from: Cato on March 27, 2014, 12:36:03 PM
From the website for the new Arditti CD:

(My emphasis above.)

Something for the Grammar Grumble: is the "writing" what is "caught up" or is it the "listener" who is "caught up" in that heady universe?

The writing of this promotional paragraph is also pretty "heady."   0:)

this is the most bestest news! ferneyhough's kool