Vaughan Williams box set?

Started by Air, September 30, 2009, 06:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

I love the Haitink and never quite understand why others don't like it.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Irons on November 15, 2018, 12:16:40 AM
[...] I listened to Handley's "London" last week (Royal Liverpool PO) and blown away with both performance and recording.

Trippy:  I listened to this, myself, just a coupla days ago.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on November 15, 2018, 02:16:35 AM
I also fondly remember Handley's LPO version of the London Symphony. I had it on a cassette where it was coupled with a refreshingly robust performance of the Tallis Fantasia. I still have the cassette but no means of playing it. I haven't heard it for years so can't really make comparisons.
I preferred Handley's LPO version of A London Symphony to the later Liverpool version. However, his No.6 was better IMHO in the later Liverpool version. Barbirolli's EMI 5th Symphony is my favourite, his Bavarian No.6 is worth hearing as well (Orfeo).

I think that the original plan was for Boult and Barbirolli to share the EMI cycle but after Barbirolli died Boult re-recorded nos 2 and 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Omicron9

All,

This has been helpful, insightful, and interesting.  I've ordered the remastered Previn box (I also like that it contains the Tuba Concerto).

Thanks again,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

vandermolen

Quote from: Omicron9 on November 15, 2018, 06:26:50 AM
All,

This has been helpful, insightful, and interesting.  I've ordered the remastered Previn box (I also like that it contains the Tuba Concerto).

Thanks again,

And 'Three Portraits from the England of Elizabeth' which I rather like.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 15, 2018, 07:26:53 AM
And 'Three Portraits from the England of Elizabeth' which I rather like.
Like?!? It's terrific! And this is the best performance, too (out of three available).  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 15, 2018, 07:36:47 AM
Like?!? It's terrific! And this is the best performance, too (out of three available).  8)
Haha - yes, I understated my enthusiasm for it! And, yes, it is the best of the three versions (Marco Polo/Naxos/Chandos/RCA).
;D

I shall listen to it tonight as an act of penance.