Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: -abe- on January 08, 2019, 12:44:34 PM
These babies have treated me well the past four years. Sennheisser 650.

Thanks. I was hoping for an on-ear instead of covering the ear model.

lisa needs braces

Sorry PW, I was just sharing that I own that pair. It looks like you were looking for bluetooth headphones? Those aren't that. Hopefully you didn't make a purchase based on my post!  :-\

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: -abe- on January 09, 2019, 09:09:29 PM
Sorry PW, I was just sharing that I own that pair. It looks like you were looking for bluetooth headphones? Those aren't that. Hopefully you didn't make a purchase based on my post!  :-\
For a corded headphone it is odd to have wires coming off each earpiece like that...

Daverz

I've been looking into DAC/amps for my Sennheiser 650s to simplify my current setup: Squeezebox Touch -> Neko DAC -> Musical Fidelity V-Can.  The main weak point is the V-Can, which has too low a setting on it's volume control for my preferred listening level with the 650s and also has no power switch!  Pretty good sound, though.  I'd love to find something that can be powered off my computer's USB bus.  I've been looking at the iFi devices.

Holden

The Burson Play might be an option. An extremely powerful amp section and the ability to switch out different op amps allows you to tinker with the sound. It comes in four versions, basic, V5i, V6 vivid and V6 Classic. I've got the V6 Vivid and it's clarity, detail, instrumental separation and bass extension are outstanding.

Burson also have other options as well including a newer version of the Play with an improved DAC chip called the Playmate.

Www.bursonaudio.com
Cheers

Holden

Daverz

Quote from: Holden on January 11, 2019, 12:02:37 PM
The Burson Play might be an option. An extremely powerful amp section and the ability to switch out different op amps allows you to tinker with the sound. It comes in four versions, basic, V5i, V6 vivid and V6 Classic. I've got the V6 Vivid and it's clarity, detail, instrumental separation and bass extension are outstanding.

Burson also have other options as well including a newer version of the Play with an improved DAC chip called the Playmate.

Www.bursonaudio.com

Thanks.  The build quality looks really nice for $250.

EDIT: odd that it has a mic input and can also be mounted in a PC.  I wonder how much traction they got marketing this to PC gamers.  I have a game PC, and it has no external bays on the front at all.

Holden

The PLay was designed with gamers in mind hence the mike input. Gamers apparently need to be able to audibly pinpoint objects they see on their monitors which means that this also works extremely well with instrumental separation for music. It's also designed to be able to fit into a PC tower and does have moles connectors. However, as the Play runs quite warm you'd need to have it well ventilated.
Cheers

Holden

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on January 10, 2019, 01:18:25 PM
I've been looking into DAC/amps for my Sennheiser 650s to simplify my current setup: Squeezebox Touch -> Neko DAC -> Musical Fidelity V-Can.  The main weak point is the V-Can, which has too low a setting on it's volume control for my preferred listening level with the 650s and also has no power switch!  Pretty good sound, though.  I'd love to find something that can be powered off my computer's USB bus.  I've been looking at the iFi devices.

I opted to get just a headphone amp, the 3rd iteration of the Schiit Magni ($99 direct from Schiit):

It does a beautiful job of driving my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on March 18, 2019, 02:09:55 PM
I opted to get just a headphone amp, the 3rd iteration of the Schiit Magni ($99 direct from Schiit):

That looks like some good Schiit.

mc ukrneal

What do you think would be the best headphone for use without an amp on the computer? I hear noises in one ear of my Senn 598, and I have not been following their newer models at this price point. It appears there is a 599. I am not fond of the Beyer 880 or a Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 , both of which I use in a different location sometimes. The max I'd like to spend is $200, but something at half that price would be preferable. I could buy the newest version of the Senn 598, but it's $170 (at Amazon, have not yet looked elsewhere), and am not sure I want to spend that. Suggestions welcome.

I used to be quite into headphones, but not so much in recent years. SO a bit rusty on the newer models. I guess not for long!! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Todd

My current work setup dictates that when I listen to music, I need to use earbuds.  Since earbuds break quickly in my experience - I expect 6-12 month lifespans - I don't go for spendy models.  The plus side of short lifespans is that I can try new things.  I picked up some HiFiMan RE600S (V1) headphones for under $70 and will be giving them a shot for a while.  My Audio Technica earbuds are too persnickety in terms of placement, and my Beyer earbuds croaked, so hopefully these new buds will fill the bill for a while.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Holden

If you are going to use iems then it is worth getting a decent pair. My experience is that SQ differences between the cheaper ones and those costing a lot more are commensurate with their price. The one initial effect with in ear monitors is that their immediacy tends to make you think that their sound quality is much better than it really is. It's only when you upgrade that you become aware that what you were listening to was not that good.
Cheers

Holden

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on March 18, 2019, 02:09:55 PM
I opted to get just a headphone amp, the 3rd iteration of the Schiit Magni ($99 direct from Schiit)

I added a Topping D10 DAC ($90) to replace my older, somewhat limited non-USB DAC and replaced my Squeezebox Touch with a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer (about $65 altogether for board, case, and microSD card).  The Topping is bus powered, so no extra power supply needed.  It has the same ES9018 chipset as my (originally) $3500 Auralic Vega in my main system.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/

For measurements of lots of DACs and headphone amps see:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

Todd

For no good reason, I started thinking about buying a new headphone amp.  I don't need one - I've got five standalone amps (three from Schiit, one from Woo, and one from Creek), along with three built in to integrated amps and sources - but, you know, why not?  I want solid state and I was originally thinking about the Schiit Ragnarok 2, but then I found the Rupert Neve Designs unit, in its original, professional gear guise.  (The company now makes consumer units under the brand name Fidelice.)  It checks all the boxes and comes in at a cozy price, and it gets good reviews.  I also confess to liking the old school industrial design.  It reminds me of old Tek gear, like the units collecting dust in my garage. 

That written, I revisited the Schiit site yesterday, and they have two brand new versions of the Magni 3, one a maxxed out discrete design, and the other an op amp design, both released in a Thunderdome setting.  I have the second iteration of the Magni 3, so I don't think I need another one.  But then, at only a hundred bucks, why not go op amp for fun, too?

Holden

Quote from: Daverz on June 22, 2019, 04:25:02 PM
I added a Topping D10 DAC ($90) to replace my older, somewhat limited non-USB DAC and replaced my Squeezebox Touch with a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer (about $65 altogether for board, case, and microSD card).  The Topping is bus powered, so no extra power supply needed.  It has the same ES9018 chipset as my (originally) $3500 Auralic Vega in my main system.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/

For measurements of lots of DACs and headphone amps see:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

What amp is the Topping paired with?
Cheers

Holden

vandermolen

Ok my daughter has asked for 'noise reducing headphones' for Christmas. Any suggestions?  Preferably under £100 (I'm a semi-retired teacher and not an investment banker). They seem to range enormously in price.
Thanks for any suggestions
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Quote from: vandermolen on November 30, 2019, 11:21:15 PM
Ok my daughter has asked for 'noise reducing headphones' for Christmas. Any suggestions?  Preferably under £100 (I'm a semi-retired teacher and not an investment banker). They seem to range enormously in price.
Thanks for any suggestions
:)

Sony makes several wireless, noise cancelling headphones under the cited price.  Sony is a boring name, but their products always pass muster.  About a dozen years ago, a cheap pair of Sony headphones (~$50) convinced me to start buying more expensive headphones.  Unless your daughter is a discriminating audiophile, I suspect the Sony models would work just fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-CH700N-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-Black/dp/B078VGQCZ4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1UUYZ9ZKEGDTS&keywords=noise+cancelling+headphone&qid=1575213005&sprefix=noise+can%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-5

vandermolen

Quote from: Todd on December 01, 2019, 06:20:25 AM

Sony makes several wireless, noise cancelling headphones under the cited price.  Sony is a boring name, but their products always pass muster.  About a dozen years ago, a cheap pair of Sony headphones (~$50) convinced me to start buying more expensive headphones.  Unless your daughter is a discriminating audiophile, I suspect the Sony models would work just fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-CH700N-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-Black/dp/B078VGQCZ4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1UUYZ9ZKEGDTS&keywords=noise+cancelling+headphone&qid=1575213005&sprefix=noise+can%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-5
Thanks so much. Only she's just texted me to say that she doesn't want Sony as they deal in arms.  ::)
Having said that, the ones you suggest look good. I may get those anyway. Thanks again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Holden

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2019, 07:59:46 AM
Thanks so much. Only she's just texted me to say that she doesn't want Sony as they deal in arms.  ::)
Having said that, the ones you suggest look good. I may get those anyway. Thanks again.

Your daughter is incorrect, Sony do not deal in arms. She's probably another victim of the rash of fake news stories currently going on social media.
Cheers

Holden

vandermolen

Quote from: Holden on December 01, 2019, 09:35:28 AM
Your daughter is incorrect, Sony do not deal in arms. She's probably another victim of the rash of fake news stories currently going on social media.
Thanks. I've just passed that information on to her.