Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Well they are a premiere earphone manufacturer in general, but you haven't answered my question.  I'm asking what your reply has to do with my post, telling me to reread the article doesn't answer my question.

Valentino

Tea spoon: Your post was a general dismissal of Linkwitz' work and studies. You drop a name which I have to look up, and what I see is sales pitch.

You seem to be a hard science guy, so why should we argue? If you like an argument, find some cable worshipper.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

DavidW

Quote from: Valentino on September 05, 2009, 08:25:32 AM
Tea spoon: Your post was a general dismissal of Linkwitz' work and studies.

No it wasn't, it was dismissal of that specific article.  Don't generalize please.

QuoteYou drop a name which I have to look up, and what I see is sales pitch.

Uh no did you even read that article that you posted?  That was one of the three earphones tested, and the one used as a basis for claiming that reference phones have problematic sound quality on the basis of not having a flat frequency response.  I didn't drop that name as a sales pitch. ::)

QuoteYou seem to be a hard science guy, so why should we argue? If you like an argument, find some cable worshipper.

I am a science nerd, which is why I object to deceit with unsubstantiated data, which is just as unscientific as cable worshipping.  The difference is that at least the latter camp is intellectually honest.  I object to calling absolutely anything with supporting measurements, science or even objective. 

Valentino

"On the basis of not having a flat frequency response"?
He doesn't say that.

Amusing objection noted.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

DavidW

Quote from: Valentino on September 05, 2009, 08:57:24 AM
"On the basis of not having a flat frequency response"?
He doesn't say that.

Amusing objection noted.

He does, you must have trouble understanding what you read.  The whole point of the article is to design and test an amp/earphone system to not have resonant curves and thus be flat.  If you find my objection to unverified measurements amusing, then you must have no true understanding of what science is or how it works.  I will disregard your claims regarding either the audio world or science in the future.

I find it amusing that your replies to each of my posts demonstrate poor attitude through condescension, but an unwillingness to actually address my points.  Even IF you are an expert on the subject, you are not entitled to simply sneer at those that disagree with you, especially without even trying to explain yourself.

Very disappointing. :-\

Valentino

Reread the Linkwitz article. He doesn't say it. Sorry.

Scarpia

Just to finish the Sennheiser headphone story, the pair of HD600 headphones that I sent back for warranty repair (for  buzzing in the left earpiece) were set back to me promptly with the statement that some part was replaced and that they were "up to manufacturers spec."  However, the obvious buzzing in the left earpiece was still there.  I think they simply replaced the earpad.

Given the cost of shipping them back and the low quality of the work done at the Sennheiser I think the frustration of dealing with this further outweighs any small hope that they will ever be fixed.  They were taken away with the trash yesterday, and are the last Sennheiser product I will ever purchase.

I'm still quite satisfied with the Denon AH-D2000 headphones I got to replace them, however.

DavidW

At the beginning of the month I bought Beyerdynamic dt-660 to have an inexpensive closed headphone, just for those times that it's noisy.  It is a bright headphone, but head-fiers exaggerated it by alot, it's slightly bright, just a little bit of sparkle.  It is just a little off of neutral, but there is practically no bass.  For an inexpensive closed headphone it's very detailed and transparent, not up to par with my Sennheiser 650 but certainly better than any other closed headphone in that price range that I've heard.  And lacking bass, it also doesn't have a nasty bass hump to color everything, and the mid-range is superb.  And these headphones isolate well.  So I'm happy.

But, when it's not noisy, which is still most of the time, I prefer the 650s which are obviously my main headphones. :)

John Copeland

Today I browsed earphones and looked at frequency ranges.  Most of the standard priced headphones had frequencies which were listed up to 22?hz, but I went for ones which went up to 23?hz thinking the higher frequencies available might be better for listening to Classical Music.  Is there a tremendous difference in the range of these, or are they just fancy figures?  I bought noise cancelling earphone buds, and I already think they're tremendously clearer and brighter than even my normal on head earphones.
Can anyone enlighten me?
:)

George

Quote from: John on February 17, 2010, 05:52:00 PM
Today I browsed earphones and looked at frequency ranges.  Most of the standard priced headphones had frequencies which were listed up to 22?hz, but I went for ones which went up to 23?hz thinking the higher frequencies available might be better for listening to Classical Music.  Is there a tremendous difference in the range of these, or are they just fancy figures? 

The latter, I think. The human ear only hears up to 20k, so above that I can't imagine it matters. 

What name brand and model did you get?

Coopmv

Quote from: George on February 17, 2010, 06:06:00 PM
The latter, I think. The human ear only hears up to 20k, so above that I can't imagine it matters. 

What name brand and model did you get?

If you ride the subway or the underground daily, you might have already suffered from hearing loss on the high-end.  I found out when I left NYC for good over 20 years ago (during a pre-employment physical given by Big Blue, my first corporate employer).  Yes, George, I used to live in Manhattan.    :P

DavidW

Quote from: John on February 17, 2010, 05:52:00 PM
Today I browsed earphones and looked at frequency ranges.  Most of the standard priced headphones had frequencies which were listed up to 22?hz, but I went for ones which went up to 23?hz thinking the higher frequencies available might be better for listening to Classical Music.  Is there a tremendous difference in the range of these, or are they just fancy figures?  I bought noise cancelling earphone buds, and I already think they're tremendously clearer and brighter than even my normal on head earphones.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Like George said it's marketing bs.  Actually the mids and are what needs to be done well for classical.  You can't easily advertise that with a big number. 

DavidW

So I have my main headphone is the 650, my alternate main (for when it's noisy) is the Beyerdynamic dt-660.  My office can is the Audio Technica ath-ad700.  I'm happy with all three... however none of them suit me for on the road gear.  I don't like ear buds or iems none of them fit me well.  I have narrowed it down to

Sennheiser px200
Sennheiser hd25
Audio Technica es7 (don't look at the amazon picture btw it's wrong)

Any thoughts on these?  Any that I missed and should consider?

John Copeland

Ultra Sound In-ear: Earphones
Philips

Passive noise isolation for better sound at lower volume - The perfect, snug fit inside your ear stops unwanted background noise detracting from the pure pleasure of your favourite music. This means you still enjoy the headphones' superb sound quality at lower volume settings and also benefit from a longer battery life.
Neodymium magnet enhances bass performance and sensitivity - Neodymium is the best material for producing a strong magnetic field for greater sensitivity in a voice coil, better bass response and higher overall sound quality.
Copper Cladded Aluminium Wire improves sound quality - By using top-quality Copper Cladded Aluminium Wire (CCAW) in the headphone driver's voice coil, the sound quality is considerably improved.
24 k gold-plated plug ensures an ultra-reliable connection - You can rest assured that the precious metal gold finishing on the plug will give you a more reliable connection for better quality audio.

Sound - Acoustic system Open, Magnet type Neodymium, Voice coil CCAW, Diaphragm Mylar dome, Frequency response 6 — 23 500 Hz, Impedance 16 Ohm, Maximum power input 50 mW, Sensitivity 102 dB, Speaker diameter 10 mm
Connectivity - Cable Connection Two-parallel asymmetric, Cable length 0.6 m + 0.6 m, Connector 3.5 mm stereo, Finishing of connector 24k Gold-plated, Type of cable OFC

DavidW

Yeah Philips are surprisingly good cheapos, alot of cheap phones suck but Philips are decent.  I also like JVC for cheap phones.

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2010, 06:50:29 PM
Yeah Philips are surprisingly good cheapos, alot of cheap phones suck but Philips are decent.  I also like JVC for cheap phones.

Philips has the size and scale to offer good values for the money compared with smaller manufacturers ...

John Copeland

Aye, okay, they're cheap, tell everybody, now I have been unmasked as el cheapo... :'(   ;D
Perhaps it is the new MP3 player I got that makes the difference then.  But I shall never reveal it, as it was cheap too.

DavidW

Quote from: John on February 17, 2010, 07:04:15 PM
Aye, okay, they're cheap, tell everybody, now I have been unmasked as el cheapo... :'(   ;D
Perhaps it is the new MP3 player I got that makes the difference then.  But I shall never reveal it, as it was cheap too.

Nah, nah you got a good one they are pretty transparent and not overly muddy with flabby bass.  You won't hear everything you should be able to hear with those phones, but you'll hear most of it, and they are pretty neutral.  They are a good buy. :)

George

Quote from: John on February 17, 2010, 07:04:15 PM

;D

John's features when he leaves the house tomorrow with his new MP3 player.

John Copeland

Quote from: George on February 17, 2010, 07:15:47 PM
;D

John's features when he leaves the house tomorrow with his new MP3 player.

You are a top man George, that had me laughing into the night at this ungodly hour.  Brilliant.   ;D  ;D