Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

Ready for lift-off? :D

DavidW

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on August 11, 2011, 01:43:36 AM
Aren't those Jecklin Floats?

Wow!  Impressive, you know your headphones. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Renfield on August 10, 2011, 08:44:24 PM
Ready for lift-off? :D

That's a perfect caption. ;D

I need to find some more of these...

DavidW

Surround headphones:

Are those last ones even for real?  I don't know but it sure makes for a funny pic! ;D

DavidW

What the heck is that?! :D  It looks like a record player... but... weird...

DavidW

Perfect for listening to the old Ludwig van! ;D

Josquin des Prez

Need to resurrect this thread in lieu of my sudden and unexpected acquisition of monetary funds, which, in true GMG fashion will pour entirely on audio equipment!

I've been scavenging the net for every bit of information i could find, and so far i nearly settled for a Sennheiser HD 600 + Yulong D100 DAC/amp combo. From what i understand, the HD600 are a bit more neutral sounding then the more expensive HD650 model, and the DAC in the Yulong is also supposed to be extremely silent. I despise artificial coloring in my audio so this should be a good combo. Alas, from what i understand the amp paired with the D100 isn't exactly state of the art, but i'm not planning on blasting my eardrums so perhaps it might be good enough (and it is certainly convenient to have both DAC and amp in the same unit). What does anybody think here?

jlaurson

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on January 16, 2012, 06:54:42 AM
Need to resurrect this thread in lieu of my sudden and unexpected acquisition of monetary funds, which, in true GMG fashion will pour entirely on audio equipment!

I've been scavenging the net for every bit of information i could find, and so far i nearly settled for a Sennheiser HD 600 + Yulong D100 DAC/amp combo. From what i understand, the HD600 are a bit more neutral sounding then the more expensive HD650 model, and the DAC in the Yulong is also supposed to be extremely silent. I despise artificial coloring in my audio so this should be a good combo. Alas, from what i understand the amp paired with the D100 isn't exactly state of the art, but i'm not planning on blasting my eardrums so perhaps it might be good enough (and it is certainly convenient to have both DAC and amp in the same unit). What does anybody think here?

Among the Sennheiser's, only the HD 800 are truly neutral.
And when I went shopping some years back with either HD580 or the allegedly better HD600 in the running, I actually liked the HD580 better for the way I like to hear classical music. (Which is usually also very neutral, although that cannot necessarily be said of either HD580 or HD600. At least neither of them 'beautify' the sounds as do, for example, B&W Speakers which I don't like for that reason. After 10 minutes, everything sounds cloying with those.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: jlaurson on January 16, 2012, 07:02:09 AM
Among the Sennheiser's, only the HD 800 are truly neutral.

Yeah but i would have to sell my liver to get those, not just for the headphones but for the DAC/amp necessary to drive them.  :(

jlaurson

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on January 16, 2012, 07:18:58 AM
Yeah but i would have to sell my liver to get those, not just for the headphones but for the DAC/amp necessary to drive them.  :(

If you can haggle them down to a kidney, you've got two of those. Worth it.

Josquin des Prez

DavidW

Audiophile headphones are usually not neutral jdp.  Every brand has their own distinctive signature sound.  It's easier to find neutrality in studio monitors.  That being said most audiophile headphones do sound tonally correct and are detailed.

As for Senns I think that the 598s are closer to neutral than either the 600 or 650.  But even those are still warm and just a tad bit dark.

Kontrapunctus

I like my Stax 407 system. It's a little light in the bass department, but boy is it transparent and revealing!

nesf

I'm very happy with my Sennheiser HD598s to be honest. They didn't cost an arm and a leg and don't need a lot of amplification which is perfect for my needs at the moment.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on January 16, 2012, 03:37:12 PM
I like my Stax 407 system. It's a little light in the bass department, but boy is it transparent and revealing!

Agreed they are detailed and very transparent.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Harry on January 17, 2012, 03:12:33 AM
Agreed they are detailed and very transparent.

Yeah, I've considered selling them and getting a pair of either Sennheiser HD 800 or Grado PS 1000, but I don't know if any dynamic headphones can match the Stax's clarity and detail. I just wish they had a bit more bass for my organ CDs/SACDs. My main system can produce thunderous bass, but wife and neighbors don't always share my enthusiasm! :)

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on January 17, 2012, 01:00:33 PM
Yeah, I've considered selling them and getting a pair of either Sennheiser HD 800 or Grado PS 1000, but I don't know if any dynamic headphones can match the Stax's clarity and detail. I just wish they had a bit more bass for my organ CDs/SACDs. My main system can produce thunderous bass, but wife and neighbors don't always share my enthusiasm! :)

Be glad about the lighter bass, that way you will not damage your ears. Stax protects your ears in a sense. I am using them for nigh almost 25 years now, never thought there was not enough bass.

jlaurson

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on January 17, 2012, 01:00:33 PM

Well, if any headphones can match the electrostatic Staxes in terms of clarity/detail/neutrality, it would likely be the HD 800. But no point in going ahead without having first tested and compared.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: jlaurson on January 17, 2012, 01:35:35 PM
Well, if any headphones can match the electrostatic Staxes in terms of clarity/detail/neutrality, it would likely be the HD 800. But no point in going ahead without having first tested and compared.

With demise of most high end audio salons, that would be hard to do!

jlaurson

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on January 19, 2012, 12:43:38 PM
With demise of most high end audio salons, that would be hard to do!

In that case one might try to find a reputable on-line dealer that will take product back. Not that that would be much easier to find...