Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nesf

Quote from: jlaurson on February 17, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
When I am at my wife-to-be's, I sometimes just turn the music off because the speaker of that slightly-more-sightly-than-a-boom-box system is so dismal, one might as well not listen to music.

As ridiculous as the high falutin' extremes in the HiFi world, it's just as sad at what a low quality so many "normal" level people consume music.

Agreed on both counts. I had a wonderful experience watching my wife listen to decent headphones for the first time in her life. Her face just lit up.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

DavidW

Quote from: jlaurson on February 17, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
When I am at my wife-to-be's, I sometimes just turn the music off because the speaker of that slightly-more-sightly-than-a-boom-box system is so dismal, one might as well not listen to music.

As ridiculous as the high falutin' extremes in the HiFi world, it's just as sad at what a low quality so many "normal" level people consume music.

Sounds like an ipod dock!  Talk about overpriced crap.  I feel so bad I ever bought one. :-[

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2012, 02:57:33 PM
Sounds like an ipod dock!  Talk about overpriced crap.  I feel so bad I ever bought one. :-[

What one did you buy? Out of curiosity.

Yes, I'm shallow.

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 17, 2012, 03:13:52 PM
What one did you buy? Out of curiosity.

It was an Altec Lansing.  I like the pc speakers I have of them but the dock lacks in bass, it is essentially mono and then it broke without much use.

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2012, 03:27:01 PM
It was an Altec Lansing.  I like the pc speakers I have of them but the dock lacks in bass, it is essentially mono and then it broke without much use.

I was considering a Pure Digital one that had decent enough reviews. In case I ever had to go back for a long hospital stay, it can't be much worse than laptop speakers!

Yes, I'm shallow.

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 17, 2012, 03:47:19 PM
I was considering a Pure Digital one that had decent enough reviews. In case I ever had to go back for a long hospital stay, it can't be much worse than laptop speakers!

Yes they are better than laptop speakers! ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on August 11, 2011, 10:29:50 AM
Surround headphones:

Are those last ones even for real?  I don't know but it sure makes for a funny pic! ;D

PC/iTunes delivering surround sound???

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on February 17, 2012, 04:58:38 PM
PC/iTunes delivering surround sound???

Actually many sound cards have 5.1 channel output and that's old news. :)

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2012, 05:00:31 PM
Actually many sound cards have 5.1 channel output and that's old news. :)

But how do you exactly simulate a 5.1 experience via a two-channel headset?

nesf

Quote from: Coopmv on February 17, 2012, 05:03:50 PM
But how do you exactly simulate a 5.1 experience via a two-channel headset?

Dolby Headphone or Creative EAX processing by the soundcard (software processing really if I recall correctly). It sounds just wrong when it comes to music. Can work ok with games though for some people, I prefer stereo gaming myself.

Edit: This is the technology they use to do it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

Works well for some people (my wife), not so well for others (me).

Yes, I'm shallow.

stingo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 17, 2012, 07:55:10 AM
What kind of price range? How do you want to use them?

The intention is for airline travel, so it doesn't need to be absolute premium quality. I don't know what the typical price range, but high performance at a reasonable price would be good (if that's not too general).

Coopmv

Quote from: nesf on February 17, 2012, 05:17:37 PM
Dolby Headphone or Creative EAX processing by the soundcard (software processing really if I recall correctly). It sounds just wrong when it comes to music. Can work ok with games though for some people, I prefer stereo gaming myself.

Edit: This is the technology they use to do it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

Works well for some people (my wife), not so well for others (me).

Exactly what I meant.  While you may have a 5.1 setup on your desktop to be complemented by five speakers plus a sub to come up with 6 distinct sound sources, I just do not see how this can be accomplished by some headphones.

nesf

Quote from: Coopmv on February 17, 2012, 08:05:32 PM
Exactly what I meant.  While you may have a 5.1 setup on your desktop to be complemented by five speakers plus a sub to come up with 6 distinct sound sources, I just do not see how this can be accomplished by some headphones.

It uses a perceptual trick used by the brain to figure out where sound is coming from to recreate 7.1. The issue is some of us tell where sound is from by moving our heads and this renders this technique useless. If you aren't one of these people then it can work ok. The problem with music especially is that it can really screw with the sound if the source is stereo (which it will be on a PC as I'm unaware of any SACD player for PC). It can work okish for movies and games that are designed to be 7.1 by default.

It's no replacement for true 7.1 or a soundbar though. It mostly comes from few people being willing to spend money on a decent 7.1 set up for their TV, never mind their PC!

Yes, I'm shallow.

nesf

Quote from: stingo on February 17, 2012, 06:55:49 PM
The intention is for airline travel, so it doesn't need to be absolute premium quality. I don't know what the typical price range, but high performance at a reasonable price would be good (if that's not too general).

Define reasonable. Sennheiser's (entry level) higher end NC stuff has a reputation for good sound quality but you'll pay $250+ for them. Audio Technic's lower end stuff don't sound as good but can be had for $125. Bose, the sound quality isn't the best but the NC is superb but are bloody expensive (approaching $300+ for the entry level stuff that sounds good). I'm not recommending any of these over the others, just giving you an idea of prices.

Some people then argue for and prefer IEMs to NC headphones for isolation on planes which have their advantages over NC headphones but some people can't stand having things in their ears for a long flight.

Yes, I'm shallow.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: nesf on February 18, 2012, 02:04:19 AM
Define reasonable. Sennheiser's (entry level) higher end NC stuff has a reputation for good sound quality but you'll pay $250+ for them. Audio Technic's lower end stuff don't sound as good but can be had for $125. Bose, the sound quality isn't the best but the NC is superb but are bloody expensive (approaching $300+ for the entry level stuff that sounds good). I'm not recommending any of these over the others, just giving you an idea of prices.

Some people then argue for and prefer IEMs to NC headphones for isolation on planes which have their advantages over NC headphones but some people can't stand having things in their ears for a long flight.
A concise summary. Thumbs up!

Bose are not what I usually recommend for headphones, but for noise cancelling they seem to work well (thinking of the QC15, but as nesf said, they'll run you $300 or so). IEM's may be a good alternative for you.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 18, 2012, 01:48:32 AM
It's no replacement for true 7.1 or a soundbar though. It mostly comes from few people being willing to spend money on a decent 7.1 set up for their TV, never mind their PC!

I would take headphones over a soundbar.  Reflections are a dim reflection ;D to true multichannel.  And headphones can provide pretty precise 3d imaging, which is why gamers use them alot.

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on February 18, 2012, 07:06:53 AM
I would take headphones over a soundbar.  Reflections are a dim reflection ;D to true multichannel.  And headphones can provide pretty precise 3d imaging, which is why gamers use them alot.

Have you heard what music sounds like through Dolby Headphone? :D

Yes, I'm shallow.

71 dB

Quote from: nesf on February 17, 2012, 02:39:14 PM
I wasn't saying you'd make the mistake but others might.

Sure but this isn't rocket science or even that dangerous because of the protecting 300 ohms resistors inside the amplifier. Even if you short circuit the headphone output socket, nothing happens. If there was any danger, I wouldn't be writing this on a discussion board.

Quote from: nesf on February 17, 2012, 02:39:14 PMEspecially if they're unsure of how much power the amp is putting out in the first place. The problem is if you do mess up in the wrong direction you won't know about it until a driver goes *pop*. That'd make me nervous and get me to take out an old pair of cheap headphones for testing purposes! :D

The way to work safely is to turn volume down and increase the volume slowly when testing. In general, headphones can take much more power than our ears so as long as the sound pressure level is decent there shouldn't be problems.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 18, 2012, 09:57:57 AM
Have you heard what music sounds like through Dolby Headphone? :D

I don't have any music in multichannel.  Even through speakers I just use pure stereo.  I don't think that music benefits from surround sound.  But movies and games do.

DavidW

Quote from: stingo on February 17, 2012, 06:55:49 PM

btw for what it's worth this are the two recommended portable noise-canceling phones from consumer reports:

Expensive:
[asin]B002PU9OS2[/asin]

Bargain:
[asin]B0014II9F0[/asin]