Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

I saw these at Amazon from Sennheiser...

[asin]B000R2PC2M[/asin]

mc ukrneal

Quote from: stingo on February 18, 2012, 01:01:38 PM
I saw these at Amazon from Sennheiser...

[asin]B000R2PC2M[/asin]
You may find this site useful: http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/type/noise-cancelling-headphones.php. You can also read some pretty good user reviews there (as well as see all the specs). If you haven't been there head-fi (forum) is also a good resource. Ideally, you would be able to test before you buy, but that is hard to do in many places these days.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Coopmv

Quote from: nesf on February 18, 2012, 01:48:32 AM
It uses a perceptual trick used by the brain to figure out where sound is coming from to recreate 7.1. The issue is some of us tell where sound is from by moving our heads and this renders this technique useless. If you aren't one of these people then it can work ok. The problem with music especially is that it can really screw with the sound if the source is stereo (which it will be on a PC as I'm unaware of any SACD player for PC). It can work okish for movies and games that are designed to be 7.1 by default.

It's no replacement for true 7.1 or a soundbar though. It mostly comes from few people being willing to spend money on a decent 7.1 set up for their TV, never mind their PC!

I believe the unavailability of non-SACD playback on PC is by design, as Sony and Philips. the co-inventors of SACD wanted to keep the priates at bay.  While the pirates have figured out how to duplicate redbook CD's, they have not figured out how to duplicate SACD's. 

Coopmv

Quote from: nesf on February 18, 2012, 02:04:19 AM
Define reasonable. Sennheiser's (entry level) higher end NC stuff has a reputation for good sound quality but you'll pay $250+ for them. Audio Technic's lower end stuff don't sound as good but can be had for $125. Bose, the sound quality isn't the best but the NC is superb but are bloody expensive (approaching $300+ for the entry level stuff that sounds good). I'm not recommending any of these over the others, just giving you an idea of prices.

Some people then argue for and prefer IEMs to NC headphones for isolation on planes which have their advantages over NC headphones but some people can't stand having things in their ears for a long flight.

I bought these Audio-Technica ATHANC7 Noise-cancelling Headphones 2 or 3 years ago and they are great headphones at very reasonable price ...

nesf

Quote from: Coopmv on February 18, 2012, 01:42:24 PM
I believe the unavailability of non-SACD playback on PC is by design, as Sony and Philips. the co-inventors of SACD wanted to keep the priates at bay.  While the pirates have figured out how to duplicate redbook CD's, they have not figured out how to duplicate SACD's.

They can (I believe), you just need an (expensive) SACD player that's hacked so it outputs the stream at a point where it is not encrypted. These are very much grey market items at best. But since SACD burners don't exist for PCs it's not a huge factor in piracy to the best of my knowledge. Rips do exist though I think, I've never seen one though.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

nesf

Quote from: Coopmv on February 18, 2012, 01:47:38 PM
I bought these Audio-Technica ATHANC7 Noise-cancelling Headphones 2 or 3 years ago and they are great headphones at very reasonable price ...

Exactly the ones I was thinking of for Audio Technica. I've read some good reviews, some mixed ones but for the price it'd be hard to complain in my opinion so long as they sounded anyway decent.

Yes, I'm shallow.

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on February 18, 2012, 01:42:24 PM

I think that is probably the entire purpose of sacd.  Ditto blu-ray.  And while they offer better quality, the intention behind the formats is trying to kill piracy by making it either hard to do or just not worth it due to file size.

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on February 18, 2012, 01:47:38 PM

The new model that's much easier to find is the 27, maybe the only good name brand full sized ones.  A bit awkward for the airplane because you're only allowed one personal item, not counting iems which can be stuffed in a pocket... but full sized headphones just sacrificed your book (which is why I think that headphones are a poor choice for traveling).

Anyway here is the link for the new model:
[asin]B00372YKMM[/asin]

Edit: spelling error

Coopmv

Quote from: nesf on February 18, 2012, 02:08:54 PM
Exactly the ones I was thinking of for Audio Technica. I've read some good reviews, some mixed ones but for the price it'd be hard to complain in my opinion so long as they sounded anyway decent.

BTW, Audio Technica has been in the headphones business for many years before Bose finally jumped in a few years ago ...

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on February 18, 2012, 06:33:42 PM
BTW, Audio Technica has been in the headphones business for many years before Bose finally jumped in a few years ago ...

And I consider Audio Technica to be a much better brand.  Bose is over hyped.  Audio Technica is like the Japanese Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser.

Mirror Image

Since most of my listening to done on headphones and I'm in need of a better pair (only own Sennheiser PX-100), I will be purchasing these with some of my birthday money:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

These headphones received 371 positive reviews out of 444 total on Amazon. I know many of these reviews are from audiophiles like myself.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2012, 08:24:39 PM
Since most of my listening to done on headphones and I'm in need of a better pair (only own Sennheiser PX-100), I will be purchasing these with some of my birthday money:

These headphones received 371 positive reviews out of 444 total on Amazon. I know many of these reviews are from audiophiles like myself.

Headroom think the ATH-M50 is the best mid-range price product out there.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

nesf

Exceptionally good value for money according to the people I know who have them.

My only problem with them is the exaggerated bass response:

They're not the most neutral of headphones. But this may not bother you. :)

Yes, I'm shallow.

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on February 18, 2012, 06:52:15 PM
And I consider Audio Technica to be a much better brand.  Bose is over hyped.  Audio Technica is like the Japanese Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser.

Seconded.

Yes, I'm shallow.

DavidW

Head-fi's flavor of the year (many posters love those headphones).  Good choice (though I still prefer open headphones). :)

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 19, 2012, 03:40:58 AM
They're not the most neutral of headphones. But this may not bother you. :)

Loudness curve headphones! ;D

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2012, 05:31:59 AM
Loudness curve headphones! ;D

Eh, they're not perfect representations of sound by any means but they can give you some idea what to expect when you compare two headphones.  :P

Yes, I'm shallow.

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 19, 2012, 05:57:50 AM
Eh, they're not perfect representations of sound by any means but they can give you some idea what to expect when you compare two headphones.  :P

No I mean those ath headphones follow the loudness curve-- they recess the mids and increase the bass and treble (what we most have trouble hearing) so that they sound louder, fuller and more energetic.  It's not neutral but sounds fun. :)

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2012, 06:11:26 AM
No I mean those ath headphones follow the loudness curve-- they recess the mids and increase the bass and treble (what we most have trouble hearing) so that they sound louder, fuller and more energetic.  It's not neutral but sounds fun. :)

Ah, yeah, definitely agree there. Fun definitely, though personally I prefer something more neutral for classical. YMMV etc. :) 

Yes, I'm shallow.

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 19, 2012, 06:15:13 AM
Ah, yeah, definitely agree there. Fun definitely, though personally I prefer something more neutral for classical. YMMV etc. :)

Yup I agree, but for rock or pop-- ROCK OUT!! ;D