Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Since there's so many headphones on the market, which ones do you guys prefer for classical and/or jazz?

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2012, 06:35:59 AM
Since there's so many headphones on the market, which ones do you guys prefer for classical and/or jazz?

Stax electro statics is a perfect choice for classical music, a worthwhile investment for your ears.

mc ukrneal

It's all a price/return question. If you have the money the highend HD800's sound fantastic. But most of us either cannot or don't want to spend that (plus the amp outlay). I bought the Senn HD580 in the year they stopped making it for a great price and have loved that, but getting good value doesn't hurt. I also listen to the Beyer DT880, but don't like them as much as the Senns, though they are amazingly comfortable on the ears (and I wear glasses, so not always so easy to find). For work, I have the PX-100, which always amaze me with their sound for what they are. They have taken a bit of a beating too, and they keep on going. But there are so many choices and each produce a different sound. Remarkable really.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Sennheiser 598.  It is fairly neutral, wide and deep soundstage and works well with just about everything. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2012, 05:30:44 AM
Head-fi's flavor of the year (many posters love those headphones).  Good choice (though I still prefer open headphones). :)

Why do you prefer open-ear headphones, Dave? Just curious...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Harry on February 19, 2012, 06:39:35 AM
Stax electro statics is a perfect choice for classical music, a worthwhile investment for your ears.

Those are totally out of my budget, Harry. I'm not going to pay $600 for a pair of headphones. Maybe if I was a millionaire...

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2012, 06:58:13 AM
Those are totally out of my budget, Harry. I'm not going to pay $600 for a pair of headphones. Maybe if I was a millionaire...

I ordered the Grado PS 1000, the sound is amazing, but big bucks, about 2000 dollars

Mirror Image

Quote from: nesf on February 19, 2012, 03:40:58 AM
Exceptionally good value for money according to the people I know who have them.

My only problem with them is the exaggerated bass response:

They're not the most neutral of headphones. But this may not bother you. :)

I will be listening through a Cmoy headphone amplifier and an Ipod Classic with the treble booster equalizer, so the bass won't be too much of a concern I wouldn't think.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2012, 06:53:33 AM
Why do you prefer open-ear headphones, Dave? Just curious...

It's the soundstage thing... open headphones sound spacious, not nearly as good as speakers but they are certainly designed to imitate the sound of speakers.  Closed headphones are for isolation and sound more intimate.  Since you live in a big city maybe you can find an audio equipment shop and listen and decide what type you like.  It's kind of like lcd vs plasma... you have to actually see them to see which type you prefer. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Harry on February 19, 2012, 07:01:35 AM
I ordered the Grado PS 1000, the sound is amazing, but big bucks, about 2000 dollars

Yeah, I've read about these. Again, just too much money for a pair of headphones for me.

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2012, 06:52:48 AM
Sennheiser 598.  It is fairly neutral, wide and deep soundstage and works well with just about everything. :)

Seconded, have them and love them. Not that much more expensive than the M50s either.

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2012, 06:24:43 AM
Yup I agree, but for rock or pop-- ROCK OUT!! ;D

Exactly my thinking. :D
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

stingo

Seems like there's a consensus of sorts on the ATH-M50. It is better rated than the more expensive Sennheiser and Bose on Amazon.

DavidW

Quote from: stingo on February 19, 2012, 08:37:41 AM
Seems like there's a consensus of sorts on the ATH-M50. It is better rated than the more expensive Sennheiser and Bose on Amazon.

The M50s aren't noise cancelling btw, we're talking about headphones for MI now.  Did you decide on what you want to order?

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on February 19, 2012, 07:05:20 AM
Seconded, have them and love them. Not that much more expensive than the M50s either.

The M50s used to be a $100 but that time is gone and past.  It must be about to go oop to be so expensive.

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on February 18, 2012, 06:52:15 PM
And I consider Audio Technica to be a much better brand.  Bose is over hyped.  Audio Technica is like the Japanese Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser.

Agree.  On the other hand, Denon makes some pretty good headphones as well.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2012, 08:24:39 PM
Since most of my listening to done on headphones and I'm in need of a better pair (only own Sennheiser PX-100), I will be purchasing these with some of my birthday money:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

These headphones received 371 positive reviews out of 444 total on Amazon. I know many of these reviews are from audiophiles like myself.

These should be good headphones.  If I do not already have the Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, I would have gone for this Audio Technica set ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2012, 07:03:10 AM
Yeah, I've read about these. Again, just too much money for a pair of headphones for me.

I personally will not spend more than $800 on a pair of headphones since I do not use headphones enough to justify the expense.

eyeresist

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2012, 06:11:26 AM
No I mean those ath headphones follow the loudness curve-- they recess the mids and increase the bass and treble (what we most have trouble hearing) so that they sound louder, fuller and more energetic.  It's not neutral but sounds fun. :)

... Not necessarily what you want from "professional studio monitor" phones, i.e. if you are using them in a professional sound studio situation.

Mirror Image

After doing a lot of research tonight and knowing the Sennheiser brand and being overall impressed with what I've heard, I will be buying Dave's preferred choice of headphones: the Sennheiser HD 598:

I will purchase these headphones either with a: birthday money or b: tax return. One or the other.

nesf

I've only two warnings about them MI: The cord is 3 meters (9 and a bit feet) long making them impractical for mobile use and they don't provide much isolation so you'll hear what's going on in the environment around you (all open headphones are like this). You mentioned using an iPod so I'm worried that you were planning on using them out and about which these are really not well suited for.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.