Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Turns out my parents are getting me a brand new headphone amplifier (I don't know which one) and a pair of these Samson SR850 Professional studio reference headphones, which my Dad owns a pair of and I was really impressed with the quality of the sound.

Here's the specs on them:

SR850 Professional studio reference headphones-

-Semi-open design for enhanced ambient listening environment
-50mm drivers for exceptional reproduction and wide dynamic range
-Frequency Response: 10Hz – 30kHz
-32ohm impedance
-Self-adjusting headband
-1/8-inch to 1/4-inch gold plated adapter included

After hearing these, I was amazed by the clarity of the soundstage, the richness of the highs, mids, and lows, and just the overall feel of them (they are quite light). The Sennheiser HD 598s still seem like great headphones, but I just couldn't justify paying that price for them and after reading the many negative reviews about the Audio-Technica headphones I was looking at, I just couldn't bring myself to buy those either. With my tax return, I'll probably just buy more music, because 7,000 classical recordings just isn't enough for me. ;) :D

nesf

Some subjective reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sr850-professional-studio-reference-headphones/reviews

I've never listened to a pair of Samson headphones so I don't know the house sound so I couldn't tell you if they are a good match for classical. However, free headphones are always nice headphones! ;D
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

Mirror Image

Quote from: nesf on February 23, 2012, 07:51:39 PM
Some subjective reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sr850-professional-studio-reference-headphones/reviews

I've never listened to a pair of Samson headphones so I don't know the house sound so I couldn't tell you if they are a good match for classical. However, free headphones are always nice headphones! ;D

As I said, I heard them and they have great frequency response. I listened to Vaughan Williams' Symphony No. 5 straight into my iPod Classic with the treble booster EQ on, because I don't like heavy bass and I was really impressed with the clarity and seperation of all the instruments. Plus, there was still plenty of bottom end to give it a nice, rounded tone. I haven't listened to them through my headphone amplifer but I can imagine that they would sound even better.

I'm still not going to forget about the Sennheiser HD 598s, but I'll only buy them when they're $100 cheaper. This said, I'll just wait on those because I'm still anxious to hear them.

DavidW

Those Samsons look like rip offs of akg headphones, perhaps the 271?

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 24, 2012, 03:55:39 AM
Those Samsons look like rip offs of akg headphones, perhaps the 271?

Doesn't matter if they're rip-offs, what does matter is the sound and these sounded fantastic!

Mirror Image

Here's the headphone amplifier my parents bought me for my birthday: an Audio-Technica AT-HA20

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2012, 09:53:26 AM
Here's the headphone amplifier my parents bought me for my birthday: an Audio-Technica AT-HA20

This is definitely a very feature-rich headphone amp.  Most headphone amps do not have the power button if I am not mistaken.  Besides, Audio-Technica has been making headphones for decades ...

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2012, 07:08:46 AM
Doesn't matter if they're rip-offs, what does matter is the sound and these sounded fantastic!

Sorry didn't mean to rip on them, I was just surprised at the uncanny resemble to akg monitors.  I'm glad that you found some good, neutral and comfy headphones! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 25, 2012, 06:14:14 PM
Sorry didn't mean to rip on them, I was just surprised at the uncanny resemble to akg monitors.  I'm glad that you found some good, neutral and comfy headphones! :)

No problem, thanks Dave. :D Yeah, I see now what you mean by these Samsons looking very similar to the AKGs.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on February 25, 2012, 04:17:01 PM
This is definitely a very feature-rich headphone amp.  Most headphone amps do not have the power button if I am not mistaken.  Besides, Audio-Technica has been making headphones for decades ...

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing it. I have seen several headphone amplifiers with a power button. I have also seem many with a switch as well. I'm glad this one has the button.

fridden

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2012, 08:46:12 PM
After doing a lot of research tonight and knowing the Sennheiser brand and being overall impressed with what I've heard, I will be buying Dave's preferred choice of headphones: the Sennheiser HD 598:

After reading about the HD 598 in this thread and good reviews elsewhere on the net I ordered a pair together with a NuForce uDac 2. They arrived today and first impression is wow! :D  Very clear big sound with good bass and nice detail in all frequencies. My previous headphones was purchased a long time ago and have served me well, but this is really something else!

/fridden

nesf

Quote from: fridden on February 27, 2012, 08:48:16 AM
After reading about the HD 598 in this thread and good reviews elsewhere on the net I ordered a pair together with a NuForce uDac 2. They arrived today and first impression is wow! :D  Very clear big sound with good bass and nice detail in all frequencies. My previous headphones was purchased a long time ago and have served me well, but this is really something else!

/fridden

They are rather nice. :D

Yes, I'm shallow.

SonicMan46

Well, I've used some wireless headphones from Sennheiser for a number of years, inexpensive and running off the 900 MHz RF band - terrible but tolerable - now that I'm retired and wife (i.e. Susan, a.k.a. Harpo here) dislikes constant music, I needed a BETTER option!

So did some searching & reviewing - decided to splurge for $200 and just received the headphones below; also Sennheiser but using the 2.4 GHz band w/ Kleer Technology - ordered from Crutchfield just north of me in Virginia (free shipping, 2 days, and extra warranty coverage) - arrived today and used all afternoon - absolutely superb sound and NONE of the RF frequency w/ my older & cheaper phones (which will be donated to Goodwill) - I guess that one needs to just spend more $$ to obtain this 'interference free' experience - Susan will be pleased -  ;) ;D

nesf

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 20, 2012, 05:19:01 PM
Well, I've used some wireless headphones from Sennheiser for a number of years, inexpensive and running off the 900 MHz RF band - terrible but tolerable - now that I'm retired and wife (i.e. Susan, a.k.a. Harpo here) dislikes constant music, I needed a BETTER option!

So did some searching & reviewing - decided to splurge for $200 and just received the headphones below; also Sennheiser but using the 2.4 GHz band w/ Kleer Technology - ordered from Crutchfield just north of me in Virginia (free shipping, 2 days, and extra warranty coverage) - arrived today and used all afternoon - absolutely superb sound and NONE of the RF frequency w/ my older & cheaper phones (which will be donated to Goodwill) - I guess that one needs to just spend more $$ to obtain this 'interference free' experience - Susan will be pleased -  ;) ;D

I've been tempted by a pair of these but as you say it's a luxury and a cost thing.

Yes, I'm shallow.

classicalgeek

I'm in the market for a new set of headphones after my Sennheiser HD485s (purchased ca. 2008) gave out last week.

Here are the basic criteria:
1) Price under US $75 (preferably less)
2) Should work with an iPod without needing an amplifier
3) Should be closed (I use them almost exclusively at work, in a semi-open cubicle setting.  I once had a co-worker two cubes away say he could hear the end of the Saint-Saëns 'Organ' Symphony ;D)

After some initial research, the Beyerdynamic DT235s look good:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-235-black.php

Does anyone have experience with these, or have any other recommendations?
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

DavidW

I would worry that they won't isolate well enough.  They're not full sized to really give you that seal, but instead look supra-aural, as in lie on your ears.  Those type of headphones leak even if designed to be closed.  I would go full sized or go with in ear.

I have had closed Beyerdynamics in the past (but not that model, I had the dt660) and it sounded bright, the polar opposite of Sennheiser, but works well for classical.  Most of their lineup works well with ipods.

suzyq

I have a portable coby cd player, the headphones that came with it are not the greatest.

The ones I've looked at that are good for listening to classical music are far too expensive.  Are there any
headphones ($10-20) that will work without breaking the bank.   I'm not a fan of earbuds.

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: suzyq on April 14, 2012, 04:29:02 AM
I have a portable coby cd player, the headphones that came with it are not the greatest.

The ones I've looked at that are good for listening to classical music are far too expensive.  Are there any
headphones ($10-20) that will work without breaking the bank.   I'm not a fan of earbuds.

Thanks for any suggestions. :)
Tough price range - I'd keep an eye out for some more expensive cans that go on sale or are reduced if there is a new version coming out.

If that doesn't happen, the Sennheiser 201 or 202 is ok for a closed headphone at about $20. There is also the Koss KSC 75 for the same. The Senns are bigger and the Koss are more mobile (not sure if that will make a difference).

To read more about these and others, you may find this site helpful: http://www.headphone.com/index.php, in particular this: http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/top-cheap-headphones.php
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Marc

If you don't set your requirements too high:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V250V-Monitor-Headphones-Control/dp/B00001W0DC

I bought it about 4 years ago and I'm perfectly happy with it in train and bus.

Funny review (not a classical music listener though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX40ZfbKBRg