Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on April 06, 2013, 06:39:23 PM
I actually have a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones that allows me to listen to FM classical stations located in NYC.  But the signals required a rooftop antenna to be picked up and the stereo tuner is located on the top floor, the only way I can listen to any FM broadcast outside the top floor music room is via this pair of wireless headphones since I do not want to blast my sound system.  Well, that was almost 10 years ago and before the time of internet tuner, which I now have in my study ...

Nice, Coopmv. I'm pretty satisfied with my headphone listening as I have a headphone amp and can run a CD player through it, but I do love to listening to music through a good stereo. No question about that. What do you think about internet tuners? Any you can recommend? I've been looking into getting one.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2013, 07:51:38 PM
Nice, Coopmv. I'm pretty satisfied with my headphone listening as I have a headphone amp and can run a CD player through it, but I do love to listening to music through a good stereo. No question about that. What do you think about internet tuners? Any you can recommend? I've been looking into getting one.

I like my Grace Internet Tuner.  It allows me to connect to my stereo system via RCA type jacks, which I have not done yet.  I have been listening through headphones.  The headphone output quality from the tuner is actually quite good.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on April 07, 2013, 09:46:29 AM
I like my Grace Internet Tuner.  It allows me to connect to my stereo system via RCA type jacks, which I have not done yet.  I have been listening through headphones.  The headphone output quality from the tuner is actually quite good.

I'll check the Grace out. Kudos, Coopmv.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 07, 2013, 07:33:00 PM
I'll check the Grace out. Kudos, Coopmv.

You will enjoy those classical music broadcasts from the likes of BBC, etc. that much more when you can listen to them through your stereo system.  IMO, the sound of the internet radio just does not cut it.

Mirror Image

I bought these Audio Technica ATH-AD700 today on Amazon for $99:

Here are the specs -

Type: Open-air Dynamic
Driver Diameter: 53 mm
Magent: Neodymium
Voice Coil: Copper-clad aluminum wire
Frequency Response: 5 - 30,000 Hz
Maximum Input Power: 500 mW
Sensitivity: 98 dB/mW at 1 kHz
Impedance: 32 ohms
Weight: 280 g
Cable: 3.0 m (Single/Hybrid-PCOCC)
Connector: 1/8" (3.5 mm) mini stereo, gold-plated
Accessory Included: Detachable 1/4" (6.3 mm) adapter

I've read the pros/cons on these headphones and the good seemed to outweigh the bad here. The frequency response and the fact that I read numerous times that these have a wide soundstage, due obviously to it's open-air design, immediately attracted me to this model. The comfort level is of course very important for me since I do a lot of listening at night and these look quite comfortable. I love these types of earpads. Anyway, I hope they're good ones and if I have any problem, I can always send them back.

Todd

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2013, 09:39:49 AMI bought these Audio Technica ATH-AD700 today on Amazon for $99:

I'm using those as I type this.  Very easy to listen to for extended periods.  Not the last word in detail or bass performance, but a really fine performer at the price. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2013, 09:39:49 AM
I bought these Audio Technica ATH-AD700 today on Amazon for $99:

1. What happened to the ATH-M50s you ordered very recently?
2. If I have the ATH-M50s, would there be a reason for me to buy these?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2013, 10:00:46 AM

I'm using those as I type this.  Very easy to listen to for extended periods.  Not the last word in detail or bass performance, but a really fine performer at the price.

Yes, the lack of bass is something I've read about, but I have a headphone amplifier that helps me beef up the bass end quite a bit. Thanks for your feedback.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on April 16, 2013, 10:38:57 AM
1. What happened to the ATH-M50s you ordered very recently?
2. If I have the ATH-M50s, would there be a reason for me to buy these?

1. I posted a message awhile back about the ATH-M50s. In that message, I detailed how uncomfortable these were to wear (they almost gave me a headache), plus, I should've known better to buy a closed-back headphone in the first place as I never have liked the sound of these kinds of headphones. But sometimes you have to take a chance on something and see what the hype is about. I can safely say I'll never buy another pair of closed-back headphones. But I would never recommend open-air or semi-open headphones be used for traveling because of sound leakage.

2. I really can't answer this question because I don't know what you're looking for in a pair of headphones. The semi-open and open-air designs are geared towards music with a wider sonic spectrum, thus giving you a larger soundstage which is ideal for classical IMHO.

Todd

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2013, 11:04:26 AMYes, the lack of bass is something I've read about, but I have a headphone amplifier that helps me beef up the bass end quite a bit.

Headphone amps won't make up for the frequency response curve, unless they have a tone control.  I know, I listened to it with three headphone amps, none of which added anything to the bass.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2013, 11:14:05 AM

Headphone amps won't make up for the frequency response curve, unless they have a tone control.  I know, I listened to it with three headphone amps, none of which added anything to the bass.

I see. Well, like I said I've weighed in the pros/cons of these headphones and I look forward to hearing them.

Parsifal

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2013, 11:14:05 AMHeadphone amps won't make up for the frequency response curve, unless they have a tone control.  I know, I listened to it with three headphone amps, none of which added anything to the bass.

You have not addressed the claim.  A headphone amp may improve bass response over a typical digital media player with a poor quality output stage.  The iPod, for instance, is notorious for having a relatively high output impedance, which can lead to depleted bass response when used with low impedance headphones.   A well designed headphone amp could certainly avoid that problem and give more satisfactory bass response.

Todd

Quote from: Parsifal on April 16, 2013, 12:16:22 PMYou have not addressed the claim.

Gibberish. 

The cans in question have a measured frequency response that will always result in comparatively weak bass.  You can head over to HeadRoom and compare the ATH-AD700 to any number of models you want, and you'll see why.  They were designed that way.

I have hundreds of hours with these headphones, mostly with an old Sony Discman and PC, but also with a Creek OBH 11, Schiit Asgard, and Woo WA6-SE.  I know how they sound with a variety of pieces of equipment, and sure enough, the measured frequency response doesn't lie.  These are not for fans of bass.  I enjoy them immensely, but I can't miss the sonic signature they produce.

Brian

I do most of my critical or Serious listening with my headphones (the aforementioned ATH-M50s) plugged into a PC. Should I be looking at any sort of amps or other headphone accessory equipment? This is a field I know nothing about.

(I realize this is a big/beginner question.)

Todd

Quote from: Brian on April 16, 2013, 12:38:07 PMI do most of my critical or Serious listening with my headphones (the aforementioned ATH-M50s) plugged into a PC. Should I be looking at any sort of amps or other headphone accessory equipment? This is a field I know nothing about.

A headphone amp will produce better sound, but as with all audio, diminishing returns sets in, and rather quickly.  I'd recommend going used, so you can save some money.  (Audiogon is a good place to start.)  I picked up my Creek for around $100, and it was money well spent.  Topping is good for not much money, though at least paired with Sennheisers it sounded bright on top, and it was working hard to drive my 600 Ohm Beyers.  Schiit is superb if you can swing it.

Parsifal

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2013, 12:30:33 PM
Gibberish. 

I don't see why it is necessary to punctuate what could be a civil discussion with an expression of contempt.

The cans in question have a measured frequency response that will always result in comparatively weak bass.  You can head over to HeadRoom and compare the ATH-AD700 to any number of models you want, and you'll see why.  They were designed that way.

I have hundreds of hours with these headphones, mostly with an old Sony Discman and PC, but also with a Creek OBH 11, Schiit Asgard, and Woo WA6-SE.  I know how they sound with a variety of pieces of equipment, and sure enough, the measured frequency response doesn't lie.  These are not for fans of bass.  I enjoy them immensely, but I can't miss the sonic signature they produce.

It is true that the ATH-AD700 has a frequency response which decreases in the far low frequencies.  It also has a rather low impedance of 32 ohms.  The iPod, to mention one example, is known to produce attenuated low frequencies when driving low impedance headphones because of the design of the output stage.  (Perhaps Apple engineers wanted to preserve batter life by suppressing what they consider excessive currents at low frequency).   As a result I would expect the already weak bass response of these headphones to be further weakened if used with in iPod or device with similar output, and substitution of a better amplifier could restore the lost bass response.

Todd

Quote from: Parsifal on April 16, 2013, 01:43:58 PMIt is true that the ATH-AD700 has a frequency response which decreases in the far low frequencies.

You'd better go back and reread the graphs.  The ATH-AD700 is between 3 dB and 10 dB down between 50 Hz and 200 Hz compared to most headphones; the drop in bass is not only in the low bass (ie, <40-50 Hz).  Most headphones have boosted bass output right up to 200 Hz because a flat response, like what is theoretically preferred in loudspeakers, makes headphones sound decidedly bass-light, irrespective of impedance.  That's the case with the ATH-AD700.  A headphone amp cannot and will not change that.  What Apple's designers did is irrelevant.

Mirror Image

So I received the ATH AD700 headphones on Saturday and they're going back on Monday. Extremely comfortable headphones, sub-par sound. 'Nuff said. I'm still having trouble finding a pair that beats my Samson SR850. If these Samson's ever malfunction, I would replace them in a minute. They sound that good.

DavidW

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 10, 2013, 05:04:19 AM
Funny how we hear things. I was quite disappointed by these. I find them excellent for voices (jazz and classical both), decent for pinao, but totally underwelming with orchestral sounds. I've even plugged them directly into my big rig thinking that perhaps I had an issue with the amp, but absolutely no difference. I find the Senn 580 much better. I think the thing you like is what dislike. I find them colorless and bland (and neutral is not the word I'd use, though they are more that than the Senns).

After spending more time with these headphones, I feel as you feel.  I think that the mids are slightly recessed, for classical you need those mids.  I now put the Senns above the dt880s.

Parsifal

Quote from: DavidW on April 22, 2013, 04:07:53 PM
After spending more time with these headphones, I feel as you feel.  I think that the mids are slightly recessed, for classical you need those mids.  I now put the Senns above the dt880s.

Beyerdynamic DT880s are my overall favorite, I would say, above any of the Sennheisers I've owned.