Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on July 09, 2014, 08:18:46 PM
eBay. New. I lost the auction, my last bid being 125, but then i got, on my eBay page, a "second chance". So maybe the winning bidders dropped out, which seems unlikely as it ended just today and I was significantly outbid, or maybe they had several in stock and took the top n bidders. Anyway, seems like the best price I am likely to get.
It is being shipped from Taiwan I think ...  ;D

Yes, that's the best price you'll get for these headphones. I've rarely seen them go for what you've paid, so consider yourself one of the 'lucky ones.' :)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 09, 2014, 09:11:40 PM
Yes, that's the best price you'll get for these headphones. I've rarely seen them go for what you've paid, so consider yourself one of the 'lucky ones.' :)

I agree. I was checking on ebay a lot just weeks ago and didn't see any new ones for less than $188, as I recall.  I came very close to ordering some from Hong Kong, but ended up buying a pair out of a shop while I was in Japan... 
It's all good...

DavidW

Quote from: Ken B on July 09, 2014, 08:51:29 PM
I was just teasing Al who lives in Taiwan. These are coming from Texas, and should be here Wed the note says.

Coming from Texas doesn't mean that they are not counterfeit.  You might want to carefully inspect them when they arrive.  That is why I only buy Sennheiser headphones new from amazon.

This video will help you, it provides multiple visual tests for authenticity: http://youtu.be/C7m4ZvED6pc

You might think "so what?"  But you don't want to pay more than a $100 for cheap, fragile headphones that sound like $20 headphones.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2014, 05:37:41 AM
Coming from Texas doesn't mean that they are not counterfeit.  You might want to carefully inspect them when they arrive.  That is why I only buy Sennheiser headphones new from amazon.

This video will help you, it provides multiple visual tests for authenticity: http://youtu.be/C7m4ZvED6pc

You might think "so what?"  But you don't want to pay more than a $100 for cheap, fragile headphones that sound like $20 headphones.

Thanks for linking this video, Dave. I'm thankful I have a real pair of Sennheiser HD 598s. I, too, will only buy Sennheiser or any kind of headphones directly from Amazon.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2014, 06:27:29 AM
Thanks for linking this video, Dave. I'm thankful I have a real pair of Sennheiser HD 598s. I, too, will only buy Sennheiser or any kind of headphones directly from Amazon.

Welcome back, John! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on July 10, 2014, 06:29:59 AM
Welcome back, John! :)

??? Was I gone somewhere? I've hanging out in 'The Diner' a lot lately, Henk, and I've been taking a hiatus from classical for awhile.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2014, 06:36:37 AM
??? Was I gone somewhere? I've hanging out in 'The Diner' a lot lately, Henk, and I've been taking a hiatus from classical for awhile.

Yeah that was funny! :D  I've seen you posting all the time, and then someone says welcome back! ;D

71 dB

Quote from: Ken B on July 09, 2014, 05:56:57 PM
Is the 598 just the 595 restyled?

I wouldn't say so. I have heard only 598, but I have understood 598 has better sound stage than 595 thanks to  more forward driver placement. 598 does well any kind of music (I listen to electronic dance music, pop, rock, classical, jazz, etc. and everything works with HD-598) and the sound stage is great (with crossfeeding pretty amazing). For the price ($200) 598 must be one of the best headphones on the market at the moment.

The problem of 598 is the VERY curvy impedance which means you HAVE TO drive them from a low impedance (10 Ω or less) source.  Doing so is important anyway for high damping factor (clean, accurate and distortion-free sound)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2014, 07:03:32 AM
Yeah that was funny! :D  I've seen you posting all the time, and then someone says welcome back! ;D

:P Well, it's good to be back! ;D

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2014, 06:36:37 AM
??? Was I gone somewhere? I've hanging out in 'The Diner' a lot lately, Henk, and I've been taking a hiatus from classical for awhile ever.
I don't want to say "fixed" that. Still ...

:(

Ken B

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2014, 05:37:41 AM

Great vid, thanks. I still have  certainly real 518s, which I requested a return for but have not mailed yet, so will keep a few more days for comparison.

TheGSMoeller

I have the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone, and no I did not pay full price for them. They are the best sounding headphones I've owned, received them for an incredible discount because of my employer, but I think they are worth it. Although I don't think I would have bought them without the discount. They are one of the highest rated headphones on Amazon (I believe they are the 4th highest), 497 of the 617 reviews are 5-star reviews.
Here's some more info from their website... V-MODA CROSSFADE-M-100

DavidW

Cool Greg! 

I'm receiving some akg q701 headphones as a gift.  I'm looking forward to receiving those.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2014, 07:23:27 PM
Cool Greg! 

I'm receiving some akg q701 headphones as a gift.  I'm looking forward to receiving those.

Just looked it up, never heard of those headphones before. That's a nice gift!  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2014, 07:23:27 PMI'm receiving some akg q701 headphones as a gift.  I'm looking forward to receiving those.

I believe these are open-back, Dave? I think these were one the headphones I was considering around the time I bought the Sennheiser HD 598s. Let me know what you think about them. If I remember correctly, they had quite similar specs to the 598s.

Edit: One thing that kind of bothers me about those AKG Quincy Jones models is the headband, but it may be pretty comfortable...who knows.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on July 10, 2014, 06:01:05 PM
I don't want to say "fixed" that. Still ...

:(

Well, I did listen to Barber's Symphony No. 2 a few nights ago, but I suppose this doesn't really count as a 'comeback' per se. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 10, 2014, 06:19:16 PM
I have the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone, and no I did not pay full price for them. They are the best sounding headphones I've owned, received them for an incredible discount because of my employer, but I think they are worth it. Although I don't think I would have bought them without the discount. They are one of the highest rated headphones on Amazon (I believe they are the 4th highest), 497 of the 617 reviews are 5-star reviews.
Here's some more info from their website... V-MODA CROSSFADE-M-100

I remember you telling me about these headphones, but I could never see myself buying anything but Sennheisers now, but those AKG Quincy Jones Dave was gifted look quite nice.

DavidW

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 10, 2014, 07:57:08 PM
Just looked it up, never heard of those headphones before. That's a nice gift!  8)

Yes indeed.  Que and a few other forumites own the k701 (only difference is the color).  They like them a bit.  I've owned the little brothers (now extinct) k501s in the past.  Great for classical except needing a beefy amp.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2014, 08:14:36 PM
I believe these are open-back, Dave? I think these were one the headphones I was considering around the time I bought the Sennheiser HD 598s. Let me know what you think about them. If I remember correctly, they had quite similar specs to the 598s.

Edit: One thing that kind of bothers me about those AKG Quincy Jones models is the headband, but it may be pretty comfortable...who knows.

I'll keep you posted!

Wakefield

I needed to buy a hard shell for my MacBook, but I finally acquired these Sennheiser Momentum headphones (ivory color):

Especially made for iPod, iPhone and iPad, the soundstage of my iPod improves dramatically with them. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire