Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 19, 2014, 08:19:13 PM
On the q701:

So I've listened to orchestral from each era, chamber, piano, harpsichord, organ, choral, rock, pop, metal, prog... these headphones sound great.  These are the first akg headphones I've heard that actually sound right.  I haven't spent enough time to compare them to other headphones, or describe their sound signature.  But they make it to my short list.

Thanks for the follow-up report. Sounds like these are some good sounding cans.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 19, 2014, 08:38:15 PM
Thanks for the follow-up report. Sounds like these are some good sounding cans.

Yes my short list btw is

Sennheiser hd558/598
Sennheiser hd580/600
Sennheiser hd650
Beyerdynamic dt880
Akg q701

Mirror Image

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 20, 2014, 07:12:58 AM
No headphone is worth that much money. Sorry.
Just quoting the review. As I hate listening on cans I agree. No cans are worth any money at all to me. Though my 12.000 USD speakers are definitely worth it (just making a point that value, as opposed to price, is subjective),

Ken B

Well the headphones I bought on eBay were clearly a fraudulent listing. Nothing has arrived and another customer has left a complaint.  Ebay has "removed" the item and the seller is no longer an eBay member. EBay has not yet agreed to refund my money, but hopefully that should happen next week. If not I will take it to PayPal.
Still I wasted 30 minutes on the phone with eBay and will be closing my eBay account once this is finished.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on August 01, 2014, 04:40:58 PM
Well the headphones I bought on eBay were clearly a fraudulent listing. Nothing has arrived and another customer has left a complaint.  Ebay has "removed" the item and the seller is no longer an eBay member. EBay has not yet agreed to refund my money, but hopefully that should happen next week. If not I will take it to PayPal.
Still I wasted 30 minutes on the phone with eBay and will be closing my eBay account once this is finished.

I hate hearing about that, Ken. I gave up on eBay a long time ago because of a few unsatisfactory transactions. I mainly shop through Amazon and still get some crappy items with inaccurate descriptions or items getting lost in the mail from the MP, but I have never had an issue with Amazon taking care of me.
Hopefully you'll get your money back. 

Mirror Image

Sorry to hear about this, Ken. Why don't you just buy the Sennheiser HD 598s directly from Amazon? I mean you're going to pay more, but it seems like you're just going through one headache after another whenever you could end the headache once and for all by buying from Amazon.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2014, 08:06:24 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Ken. Why don't you just buy the Sennheiser HD 598s directly from Amazon? I mean you're going to pay more, but it seems like you're just going through one headache after another whenever you could end the headache once and for all by buying from Amazon.
I expect I will, once the dust settles on this and I get back from vacation. I always get good service from Amazon.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on August 01, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
I expect I will, once the dust settles on this and I get back from vacation. I always get good service from Amazon.

And you will get a legitimate pair of them and nothing fraudulent if you buy directly from them. Sometimes the MP sellers can be fishy, though. You know, it's interesting, I used to buy from Amazon a lot, but it seems I'm using eBay more and more these days. Of course, you have to be more careful on eBay, but it's worth the effort to find a good price and hopefully a good seller to offer that price.

DavidW

I guess you don't have to worry about receiving a Chinese knockoff! But yeah sorry to hear about that.  It should be pretty easy to get your money back.  The seller has to show proof of shipment to contest your charge, else you should receive the refund.

Ken B

Quote from: DavidW on August 02, 2014, 07:44:58 AM
I guess you don't have to worry about receiving a Chinese knockoff! But yeah sorry to hear about that.  It should be pretty easy to get your money back.  The seller has to show proof of shipment to contest your charge, else you should receive the refund.
Listed as shipped weeks ago but no tracking number ever provided.
But after years of using eBay with no issues at all, in the past year this will be the fifth problem. Two misdescribed items the sellers accepted returns on quite politely and professionally, and two misdescribed CDs a little less so. So I really don't think I want the hassle of such a high failure rate.

Ken B

Quote from: Ken B on August 02, 2014, 07:50:27 AM
Listed as shipped weeks ago but no tracking number ever provided.
But after years of using eBay with no issues at all, in the past year this will be the fifth problem. Two misdescribed items the sellers accepted returns on quite politely and professionally, and two misdescribed CDs a little less so. So I really don't think I want the hassle of such a high failure rate.
EBay has issued a refund. I cannot say I am very happy though as I found their call line support crappy, and this is third straight order that has been totally bogus, and the 5th straight where I was not happy with what I ordered (in the other two cases the vendors were great so no issue). Starting to seem like more effort than it is worth.

DavidW

Quote from: Ken B on August 05, 2014, 10:58:24 AM
EBay has issued a refund. I cannot say I am very happy though as I found their call line support crappy, and this is third straight order that has been totally bogus, and the 5th straight where I was not happy with what I ordered (in the other two cases the vendors were great so no issue). Starting to seem like more effort than it is worth.

That's why I don't use ebay much anymore.  Amazon MP for me.  Amazon has much better customer service.  And since they are so strict, sellers are much less likely to screw you over in the first place.  Ebay is too shady imo.

Mookalafalas

So, did you ever get a pair of the headphones (Senn 598s, right?)? I'm finding I really love mine. When it gets a bit too late to use "appropriate" volume, they are pretty sweet.  I think a legit "bargain" price is around $180.  That's a lot of money, but probably worth it for what you get, IMO.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 02, 2014, 07:41:32 AM
  So, did you ever get a pair of the headphones (Senn 598s, right?)? I'm finding I really love mine. When it gets a bit too late to use "appropriate" volume, they are pretty sweet.  I think a legit "bargain" price is around $180.  That's a lot of money, but probably worth it for what you get, IMO.
Not yet. I did get a bluetooth soundbar for my TV so I am using that for now when streaming.

Artem

I want to try to listen to music on my stereo system with headphones. However, there's no headphone input in the system. There're some free things on the back, including a usb port. Does anyone know if I need to buy an adapter or something like that?

Mookalafalas

Ken, those Sennheisers have been made available by a couple of places for $100 recently.  Much better than even the fraud deal, and for legitimate new ones.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 01, 2014, 08:09:17 PM
Ken, those Sennheisers have been made available by a couple of places for $100 recently.  Much better than even the fraud deal, and for legitimate new ones.
They were in my shopping basket on Amazon ... But then that vendor sold out.
Having just replaced my amp and speakers though I am a bit relieved ...

Holden

What sort of system, amplifier specifically, do you have? If you have a CD player it will surely have a headphone jack, or does it? If it does you can listen through that.

The alternative is to buy a headphone amplifier that will connect to the RCA connectors at the back of your stereo amplifier. There are quite a few available that don't cost too much.

Here's an example

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/291306668289?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps
Cheers

Holden