Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

I don't have an amplifier. It is just a 5+1 cd player and there's no headphone jack. Now, I'm wondering if I can get some kind of simple adapter for headphones.

Jay F

Quote from: Artem on December 03, 2014, 04:39:20 PM
I don't have an amplifier. It is just a 5+1 cd player and there's no headphone jack. Now, I'm wondering if I can get some kind of simple adapter for headphones.

How do you listen to it without amplification?

Maybe you could point us to your actual player.

Jay F

The new erato

Quote from: Jay F on December 04, 2014, 05:11:33 AM
If the amplifier has typical RCA inputs in the back, do what Holden suggested, and hook up a headphone amp.
You mean outputs?

Mirror Image

Getting back on topic for a bit, I'm REALLY enjoying my Sennheiser HD 598s. They really sound superb and the drivers are nice and burned in now (I've owned these for little over a year now). Ken, you MUST get you a pair of these ASAP!

Jay F

Quote from: The new erato on December 04, 2014, 05:50:38 AM
You mean outputs?

Yes. I suppose I do. I'm a terrible audiophile.

Thanks.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2014, 06:50:21 AM
Getting back on topic for a bit, I'm REALLY enjoying my Sennheiser HD 598s. They really sound superb and the drivers are nice and burned in now (I've owned these for little over a year now).

I have been enjoying My Sennheiser HD 598s for 3 and a half years now. Driven from a source with low output impedance ( less than 10 ohms) and using crossfeeding, these cans produce awesome sound for their price.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2014, 06:50:21 AM
Getting back on topic for a bit, I'm REALLY enjoying my Sennheiser HD 598s. They really sound superb and the drivers are nice and burned in now (I've owned these for little over a year now). Ken, you MUST get you a pair of these ASAP!

I had a pair in my basket at $100! No warning about low stock or anything so I hunted for more stuff. Should I buy two pair I thought, one for my son? Came back and *poof* it was back at $178  :'(

PS I was told Gruppen sounds just awful on the HD-598s. (I think that was meant as praise of the HD-598s)

Holden

Quote from: Artem on December 03, 2014, 08:25:28 PM
It is basically something like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-Home-Theater-System-HT-SS380/dp/B004TEO8HY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417670670&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+home+theater

I've had a look at the manual for this model and Artem you are right - there is no headphone jack or RCA audio out. The only audio output appears to be via HDMI.

However, I might have a solution. This is specifically a home theatre system which means it is hooked up to your TV and you can play any connected source via your TV speakers if you wish. Now if your TV has a headphone jack (most do) then you can listen via that after selecting the correct source on your TV menu.

Does this help?
Cheers

Holden

Artem

Holden, thank you very much for your advice. It may sound strange, but there's no tv at my present home.

Jay F

Quote from: Artem on December 04, 2014, 07:31:04 PM
Holden, thank you very much for your advice. It may sound strange, but there's no tv at my present home.

Would listening to headphones at your computer make sense? Do you have music on your computer?

Artem

I can, but it'd be less comfortable than on stereo system.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on December 04, 2014, 07:56:56 AM
I had a pair in my basket at $100! No warning about low stock or anything so I hunted for more stuff. Should I buy two pair I thought, one for my son? Came back and *poof* it was back at $178  :'(

PS I was told Gruppen sounds just awful on the HD-598s. (I think that was meant as praise of the HD-598s)

Hah, Gruppen sounds awful on any headphones, Ken. ;) ;D

Jay F

Quote from: Artem on December 04, 2014, 08:18:14 PM
I can, but it'd be less comfortable than on stereo system.

Then you need a new stereo system, one that will work with headphones.

Ken B

Needing Bluetooth headphones for my cell phone/Spotify I bought a pair of Soul SV3SLV headphones. Partly for the greatly reduced price I found them at. I am very impressed. They are perhaps a touch base heavy but nor irksomely so. Even over bt they are better than the Senn 518 s were in that way. The soundstage is okay, and it's a clear warm sound. Not audiophile cans but quite good for an inexpensive wireless headset.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on December 05, 2014, 06:35:53 PM
Needing Bluetooth headphones for my cell phone/Spotify I bought a pair of Soul SV3SLV headphones. Partly for the greatly reduced price I found them at. I am very impressed. They are perhaps a touch base heavy but nor irksomely so. Even over bt they are better than the Senn 518 s were in that way. The soundstage is okay, and it's a clear warm sound. Not audiophile cans but quite good for an inexpensive wireless headset.

Some reviewers complained about the plastic coming off. However, I think you helped me to find a Christmas present for my wife!  8)
Thanks Ken!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Todd

Every year to year-and-half I end up buying new mid-price headphones for use at work.  This time I decided to swap out Beyerdynamic DT-1350s for Audio Technica ATH AD900x cans.  Prior to the DT 1350s, I used the ATH AD700.  The AD900x is step up.  The high are cleaner and more extended, and the bass is improved, though still on the light side.  Piano sound is definitely better.  The AD900x is also the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever encountered, bettering the AD700 with a superior clamping mechanism.  The sensitivity is given as 100 dB/mW, and the impedance is 38 Ohms, so they are easy to drive.  When I A/Bd them with my Beyer T1s, themselves super-sensitive at 102 dB/mW but rated at 600 Ohms, the AD900xs were noticeably louder at every setting, as expected.  I should get a good year out of these before getting bored and moving on.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Ken B. asked me to give a review of my new Philips SHP9500 headphones:

[asin]B00ENMK1DW[/asin]

I haven't owned these but for two days but what I can say with a good deal of confidence is they sound great. One of the things I like about these headphones, and this goes for the Seinnheiser HD 598s as well, is the sound is rather neutral. Nothing is accentuated and every detail seems to fall where it should. These headphones are also open, which I prefer to closed, and, as the case with open-back headphones, the soundstage is wider which is ideal for the music I listen to the most: classical and jazz. I haven't listened to any rock music with these Philips but I imagine them handling that style with no problems. These Philips, like the Seinnheiser, are also very light, but the construction is much better than the HD 598s. The price was right on these and I highly recommend them. I'm not sure what the burn in time on these are, but they sound fantastic right out of the box, which only proves that they'll sound even better as I begin to burn them in. The only negative I have is the detachable audio cable that comes with these is rather cheap and is prone to tangle, so I replaced this cable with an iXCC audio cable. All is well now! 8)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2015, 07:44:16 PM
Ken B. asked me to give a review of my new Philips SHP9500 headphones:

[asin]B00ENMK1DW[/asin]

I haven't owned these but for two days but what I can say with a good deal of confidence is they sound great. One of the things I like about these headphones, and this goes for the Seinnheiser HD 598s as well, is the sound is rather neutral. Nothing is accentuated and every detail seems to fall where it should. These headphones are also open, which I prefer to closed, and, as the case with open-back headphones, the soundstage is wider which is ideal for the music I listen to the most: classical and jazz. I haven't listened to any rock music with these Philips but I imagine them handling that style with no problems. These Philips, like the Seinnheiser, are also very light, but the construction is much better than the HD 598s. The price was right on these and I highly recommend them. I'm not sure what the burn in time on these are, but they sound fantastic right out of the box, which only proves that they'll sound even better as I begin to burn them in. The only negative I have is the detachable audio cable that comes with these is rather cheap and is prone to tangle, so I replaced this cable with an iXCC audio cable. All is well now! 8)

Are they as good as the 598s?