(non Bach) baroque cantatas

Started by 71 dB, April 09, 2007, 03:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazioso

About a decade ago, the Ricercar label had a whole series devoted to German Baroque cantatas. Most volumes are out of print, yet worth seeking out.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

71 dB

Quote from: Grazioso on April 13, 2007, 11:28:34 AM
About a decade ago, the Ricercar label had a whole series devoted to German Baroque cantatas. Most volumes are out of print, yet worth seeking out.

Ricercar had complete set of Bruhns' 12 cantatas. For years I hunted down that set but it's seriously OOP. Just impossible to get!  :'(

BRUHNS COMPLETE CANTATAS
Ricercar 245722
Released 26 March 1996
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Grazioso

Quote from: 71 dB on April 13, 2007, 11:33:41 AM
Ricercar had complete set of Bruhns' 12 cantatas. For years I hunted down that set but it's seriously OOP. Just impossible to get!  :'(

BRUHNS COMPLETE CANTATAS
Ricercar 245722
Released 26 March 1996

Some of the Bruhns discs are on sale on eBay as we speak.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

71 dB

Quote from: Grazioso on April 13, 2007, 11:40:54 AM
Some of the Bruhns discs are on sale on eBay as we speak.

Yes, thanks Grazioso for the info.  :)

71 dB

AAARRGGHH, I LOST IN EBAY!!!!! I offered $20 and someone got those for $20.50! I was unlucky because the auction ended in the night my time and I had to sleep. I could not compete on the last seconds!

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2007, 02:05:21 AM
Well you should do the struggling with your girlfriend dear friend, and the words you use are not really flattering, now are they.
I am sorry about this mishap I really am, but using such strong language is a bit over the top, don't you think so too? :o

I apologize. I was so dissappointed. In this era off "free downloading and music sharing" it's so frustrating again I fail to get hold of these discs.

Harry

Well thank you too, I removed my message about it, so no harm done! :)

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2007, 02:15:18 AM
Well thank you too, I removed my message about it, so no harm done! :)

Thank you Harry! I react strongly to disappointments but I calm down in 10 minutes.

Bruhns' cantatas are so special and beautiful. It's a shame it's this difficult to get all of them. Even Harmonia Mundi seems reluctant recording the other 6 of them...  :-\

71 dB

Especially for those who have a SACD player I can't recommend enough this disc:

Death & Devotion - Cantatas by Buxtehude, Weckmann, Tunder and Ritter.
The Netherlands Bach Society/Jos van Veldhoven
CHANNEL CLASSICS CCS SA 20804

I was blown away by the cantatas by Franz Tunder (1614-1667).
Tunder was Buxtehude's predecessor in the office of Lübeck organist.

SonicMan46

Well, Sunday morn and some of my Cantatas order(s) arrived this week - great day to switch over to some 'vocal' music:

Nikolaus Bruhns (1665-1697) (similar dates to Purcell who lived a little longer) - already discussed; excellent performance & recording - highly recommended; includes basically half of his cantata output.

Dietrich Buxtehude (1637-1707) - first exposure to this composer - these are just wonderful; like 'chamber cantatas' (well explained in the liner notes); plus, I love the Purcell Quartet w/ Emma Kirkby; this is Vol. 2, but also have Vol. 1 by the same group on order - expect similar enjoyment.

Georg Philipp Telemann (1681 - 1767) - another great Brilliant bargin 3-CD set - just starting on these discs, so far excellent; superb review on Music Web (may have already provided this link?) -  :)

71 dB

You are in cantata heaven SonicMan!  :)

I think I need to get that Telemann box. I have heard negative reviews of the Buxtehude discs on Chaconne but perhaps they are wrong.

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on April 22, 2007, 09:37:32 AM
You are in cantata heaven SonicMan!  :)

I think I need to get that Telemann box. I have heard negative reviews of the Buxtehude discs on Chaconne but perhaps they are wrong.

71 dB - just about done w/ the Telemann box - agree w/ the review linked, and for the money quite a deal!

Was not sure about the Buxtehude offerings, myself - but as stated I do like the Purcell Quartet & Emma K. - plus, there was a glowing review on Amazon HERE; don't usually rely too much on the Amazonians unless there is an overwhelming concensus or the reviewer seems knowledgeable; also, the Penguin Guide gave these recordings a 'keyed' 3* review w/ high praise for the Purcell Quartet, so thought these discs would be a good choice - but would love to hear others' thoughts who might own them -  :D

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan on April 22, 2007, 10:12:01 AM
71 dB - just about done w/ the Telemann box - agree w/ the review linked, and for the money quite a deal!

Was not sure about the Buxtehude offerings, myself - but as stated I do like the Purcell Quartet & Emma K. - plus, there was a glowing review on Amazon HERE; don't usually rely too much on the Amazonians unless there is an overwhelming concensus or the reviewer seems knowledgeable; also, the Penguin Guide gave these recordings a 'keyed' 3* review w/ high praise for the Purcell Quartet, so thought these discs would be a good choice - but would love to hear others' thoughts who might own them -  :D

Okay! Telemann will be ordered sooner or later.  :)

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 22, 2007, 10:12:01 AM

Our friend 71dB does not like Emma, he said so himself! ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on April 22, 2007, 10:44:33 AM
Our friend 71dB does not like Emma, he said so himself! ;D

Sorry, Harry, I must have 'missed' that comment!  ::)  Well, I re-listened to about half of that disc in the late afternoon and really enjoyed the performances; again, this small scale 'chamber cantata' approach is just wonderful to my ears, and the Purcell Quartet is superb - I'm looking forward to getting Vol. 1 in the mail soon (it's on the way!) -  :D

71 dB

I can always give Emma the second change. Perhaps her voice suites better to Buxtehude than Handel?

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 22, 2007, 03:13:44 PM
I can always give Emma the second change. Perhaps her voice suites better to Buxtehude than Handel?

I found her voice absolutely bliss on the Da Capo/Naxos issue my friend, and the Chandos recording is well known to me, for I have it, and I can assure you, her voice did not change a bit, to my relieve I might add! ;D

DavidW

Well if there's one thing that I've learned from reading this thread is that I need to hear Buxtehude!  Perhaps I'll saunter over to Naxos' website and see what I can hear. :)

Harry

Quote from: DavidW on April 24, 2007, 06:49:03 AM
Well if there's one thing that I've learned from reading this thread is that I need to hear Buxtehude!  Perhaps I'll saunter over to Naxos' website and see what I can hear. :)

Than you do well to start with Naxos recording on Naxos featuring Emma Kirkby.
That would be a excellent start for little money!

DavidW

Quote from: Harry on April 24, 2007, 07:18:41 AM
Than you do well to start with Naxos recording on Naxos featuring Emma Kirkby.
That would be a excellent start for little money!

Well I was thinking of going to naxos to see what I could hear without paying money. ;D  If anyone knows of any public domain recordings on the net, please tell me.  That might be a long shot though. :)