A benchmark Pergolesi Stabat Mater?

Started by Mark, June 11, 2007, 03:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

For me, this certainly is:

I've been aware for years of Emma Kirkby and her glowing reputation, but I'd never owned a recording that featured her until this one arrived today (bought for the bargain basement price of £1.48 from an offshore [tax-free] UK seller). My copy has the reissue cover artwork, rather than that shown above. I just played it through my AKG K501s - and wow! Isn't Kirkby's voice divine? Bowman's is pretty beautiful, too, as countertenors go.

So, with its period instrument playing, impeccable sound and a performance so wonderfully well balanced, this is now my reference recording over the other three versions I own (and that includes the visceral Rinaldo Alessandrini recording on Naive).

Harry

Quote from: Mark on June 11, 2007, 03:03:13 AM
For me, this certainly is:

I've been aware for years of Emma Kirkby and her glowing reputation, but I'd never owned a recording that featured her until this one arrived today (bought for the bargain basement price of £1.48 from an offshore [tax-free] UK seller). My copy has the reissue cover artwork, rather than that shown above. I just played it through my AKG K501s - and wow! Isn't Kirkby's voice divine? Bowman's is pretty beautiful, too, as countertenors go.

So, with its period instrument playing, impeccable sound and a performance so wonderfully well balanced, this is now my reference recording over the other three versions I own (and that includes the visceral Rinaldo Alessandrini recording on Naive).

Jolly good I say, that is indeed a a fine recording, its part of a big box I am playing now, with 5 cd's of her wonderful art, and that of James Bowman.
This box was however only released in Holland for just 10,- euro's, since her fanbase in the Netherlands is the biggest in Europe.
On the first cd is your recording, all of it! Click on it, and it will enlarge.

Choo Choo

I also adore that recording, however over the years I've come to regard it as a bit of a guilty pleasure as I've listened to more sophisticated friends subjecting both Kirkby and Bowman to destructive criticism.

Harry

Quote from: Choo Choo on June 11, 2007, 03:12:37 AM
I also adore that recording, however over the years I've come to regard it as a bit of a guilty pleasure as I've listened to more sophisticated friends subjecting both Kirkby and Bowman to destructive criticism.

Me thinks your own ears are the best judge right?

Mark

Quote from: Choo Choo on June 11, 2007, 03:12:37 AM

Trust only your own ears, my friend. ;)

Choo Choo

Quote from: Harry on June 11, 2007, 03:14:01 AM
Me thinks your own ears are the best judge right?

Oh certainly.  My feelings re. sopranos are not that far removed from yours, Harry.

Quote from: Mark on June 11, 2007, 03:14:51 AM
Trust only your own ears, my friend. ;)

Oh I do, Mark, I do.  :D

Que

Mark, the tile of the thread ends with a question mark but I gather from your opening post is more of a statement! ;D

Well, it's Alessandrini for me!

When I hear the Hogwood, or the one by Robert King for that matter: it sounds thouroughly British. But, if it works for you - enjoy! :)

Q

Mark

Quote from: Que on June 11, 2007, 03:29:09 AM
Mark, the tile of the thread end with a question mark but I gather from your opening post is more of a statement! ;D

I didn't want to be controversial by appearing to claim in the thread title that this is the benchmark recording. ;)

QuoteWell, it's Alessandrini for me!

When I hear the Hogwood, or the one by Robert King for that matter, I don't hear Pergolesi's Stabat Mater but more something like: Rule, Britannia! rules the waves....
In other words: it sounds thouroughly British. But, if it works for you - enjoy! :)

Q

I think I prefer the softness and sweetness of Kirkby's fruit. :)

FideLeo

Frenchified Pergolesi - Veronique Gens/Gerard Lesne/Seminario musicale
Flemish Cover Painting - Rogier van der Weyden  ;D

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: Mark on June 11, 2007, 03:35:36 AM
I think I prefer the softness and sweetness of Kirkby's fruit. :)

She is (and sings) lovely, Mark, no doubt about it. :)

Quote from: masolino on June 11, 2007, 03:36:54 AM

I used to be really into Gérard Lesne for a while, but now I can't stand him.. ???  ;D

Q

Florestan

I own this one and I'm perfectly happy with it.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mark

Quote from: masolino on June 11, 2007, 03:36:54 AM
Flemish Cover Painting - Rogier van der Weyden  ;D

Hmm ... I like Gens.

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2007, 03:39:51 AM
I own this one and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Oooh! I'll bet that's good. :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on June 11, 2007, 03:29:09 AM
Mark, the tile of the thread ends with a question mark but I gather from your opening post is more of a statement! ;D

Well, it's Alessandrini for me!

When I hear the Hogwood, or the one by Robert King for that matter, I don't hear Pergolesi's Stabat Mater but more something like: Rule, Britannia! rule the waves....
In other words: it sounds thouroughly British. But, if it works for you - enjoy! :)

Q

Pergolesi alla maniera tedesca (X2)

When I hear this, I hear Pergolesi's music accompanying the following words :

Tilge, Höchester, meine Sünden...  :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: masolino on June 11, 2007, 03:47:01 AM

Oh, but that is not just Italian with an accent but a real translation - by a master writer no less!  :)
And I don't have it, I'll certainly consider this!

Q

Bunny

Quote from: masolino on June 11, 2007, 03:47:01 AM

I actually bought that for the Bach.  It's a very good recording, to say the least.

BorisG

This stuff has short shelf-life. Along with  flute and most guitar music. $:)

FideLeo

Quote from: BorisG on June 11, 2007, 05:16:39 PM
This stuff has short shelf-life. Along with  flute and most guitar music. $:)

Pergolesi HAD short shelf-life.  He was barely 30 when he expired.  ;)

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on June 11, 2007, 04:34:53 PM
I actually bought that for the Bach.  It's a very good recording, to say the least.

Did Hengelbrock throw in his chorus for the last movement?  I don't remember
since the cd has not been with me for some time.

Harry

Quote from: masolino on June 11, 2007, 07:40:35 PM
Did Hengelbrock throw in his chorus for the last movement?  I don't remember
since the cd has not been with me for some time.

Stax for classical indeed. The first poster that I see with these headphones.
Bravo.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Mark on June 11, 2007, 03:42:21 AM
[re Bonney/Scholl]
Oooh! I'll bet that's good. :)

I have it myself, and I'm not convinced. Two beautiful voices, but they don't match as they ought, both timbrally and stylistically, to my ears. The couplings - a couple of Pergolesi Salve Reginas, one in F minor, one in A minor, one for each of the two featured singers - therefore come off better, and are beautiful pieces in their own right too.