Chicago Lyric Opera "Ring..." Production

Started by Haffner, April 24, 2007, 07:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 07, 2007, 03:24:59 PM
It just seems so far removed from what Wagner had in mind. 

Well, you know, authorial intent is a difficult issue, not only because it's impossible to determine exactly but also because great works of art take on a life of their own. Indeed, their greatness lies often their ability to convey meaning beyond the literal ideas of the author. A perpetual repeat of the original Hermann Levi Ring from Wagner's time would a bit boring after a few centuries, don't you think?

marvinbrown

Quote from: O Mensch on May 08, 2007, 08:37:47 AM
A perpetual repeat of the original Hermann Levi Ring from Wagner's time would a bit boring after a few centuries, don't you think?

Thats a good point actually.  Great works of art do take on a life of their own and some variety is inevitible over time.   I guess time is the ultimate test and when a work of art survives for so long  generation after generation it is a testament to its greatness.  I would hope that each generation of listeners has at least one version of a great work of art that is true to the original text or what is perceived to be the original intent of the composer.  I will not live forever (as much as I relish the idea) to see how future generations say 200 years from today will stage Wagner's Ring...wouldn't that be a sight for sore eyes?  Either way the music is destined to remain the same (I hope  :)).

marvin 

Haffner

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 02, 2007, 05:52:30 AM
  Haffner I have been meaning to ask you what about Seigfried Jerusalem's performance in Levine's Ring did you not like?  Was it his acting or rather looks and mannerisms on stage or was it his voice (singing)?  Personally I was a little put off when I first saw him cast as Seigfried but he grew on me. I had to remind myself that Wagner himself thought of Seigfried as obnoxious, conceited and perhaps even spoiled a role Jerusalem played quite well IMHO of course.

marvin 

I was often turned off by his histrionics; his portrayal of Siegfried's easy-to-judge innocence was often way over the top for me. At times his voice seemed a bit thin for the role as well. I wonder what a Domingo-type would do with it!

Other than that, Jerusalem is an excellent singer. I loved his Loge in the same performance, very well done!

marvinbrown

Quote from: Haffner on May 09, 2007, 05:31:00 AM

I was often turned off by his histrionics; his portrayal of Siegfried's easy-to-judge innocence was often way over the top for me. At times his voice seemed a bit thin for the role as well.

All valid points.

marvin