Sven-David Sandström (b. 1942)

Started by bhodges, December 09, 2008, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

On MusicWeb (here), Göran Forsling interviews Sven-David Sandström about his upcoming opera, Batseba, which will be staged in Stockholm. 

As a big fan of Sandström (thanks to multiple recordings and live performances of his High Mass), I'm excited to hear about this major new work. 

--Bruce

bhodges

And here is Forsling's review of Batseba, with performances through next March.  I hope a recording is being planned.

--Bruce

toledobass

That High Mass is nuts.  I can't imagine hearing or playing that live, How many times have you had a chance to see it live Bruce?

violinconcerto

Anyone here got a recording of his violin concerto?

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on December 17, 2008, 04:37:41 PM
That High Mass is nuts.  I can't imagine hearing or playing that live, How many times have you had a chance to see it live Bruce?

I heard it in Minneapolis in 2003, with VocalEssence conducted by Philip Brunelle.  I went to the dress rehearsal and then to the performance, so technically I heard it twice.  It was pretty amazing stuff.  Since then I've acquired recordings of other pieces by him, e.g., the CD with his concertos for flute, guitar and cello (below).  He also has many smaller choral works included in various compilations, e.g., the "Baltic Voices" series.

--Bruce

UB

Hi Bruce - I can not say that I am excited about "High Mass." I have not been able to get through both cds. I have both the Blomstedt and Sergestam cds. Maybe seeing it live would help me get into it more.

I love the concertos - especially the cello. I recommend the 2001 Piece for Orchestra, the Requiem, the Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra - a pretty wild piece - and Culminaitons. If you like the trombone, his concerto 'Kejsarvisan' should please. It is not my favorite instrument.

For the most part I find his music enjoyable and rewarding. It is a shame he does not have a better website. I think David Matthews has about the best composer's website that I have seen.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

bhodges

Granted, hearing a piece live is often much more persuasive!  When I heard it I had absolutely NO idea what to expect, other than that a chorus was involved.  When I got to the hall and saw the huge chorus, an even huger orchestra, plus eight soloists (IIRC), I was a little surprised--just didn't realize it was such a big piece.

PS, I think the Segerstam recording (OOP, of course) is very slightly preferable to the Blomstedt one--not to dismiss the fact that such a piece has already received not one, but two recordings.  The Segerstam has a bit more bite, and the recording seems a little clearer.  But then, Blomstedt's has that nice bonus of Lidholm's Kontakion.

I need to hear the Requiem; several people have said it's their favorite of his works.  And I do like the trombone, so thanks for that pointer.  Interesting you comment on his website!  I hadn't seen it and just logged on awhile ago, and yes, it could use some work.  (Looks like "Internet circa 1995.")

--Bruce

bhodges

Sandström is on Facebook (perhaps a :o is appropriate) and I noticed it's his birthday today! 

--Bruce

snyprrr

I have Sandstrom's SQ No.3 on Caprice, I believe (with other Swedish SQs). It's fairly short (@15mins.), and, I guess I would use the word post-modern, only in that it definitely uses a mid-1980s vocabulary in a mixture of romanticism and avant techniques. There's nothing scary about it, and it does have a pathos towards the end. Nothing shattering, just a nice, typical mid-'80s SQ.