Author Topic: Janáček (Leoš' Lair)  (Read 70536 times)

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
Re: Janáček (Leoš' Lair)
« Reply #380 on: October 15, 2021, 12:21:16 AM »
I think sometimes arrangements are worth it. For example, it would be good to hear an arrangement of Messiaean's Turangalia Symphony where the Ondes Martenot is replaced by a real instrument, a viola say. I once wrote to Messiaean estate, very politely, proposing this, but they didn't reply  :(

How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes.  But why change it in the first place - clearly the the composer wrote for that instrument.  This idea is not an "arrangement" its at best reorchestration for no apparent benefit - unless its just because you don't like the actual sound of the Ondes?

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #381 on: October 15, 2021, 03:29:05 AM »
If an ondes martenot is good enough for Radiohead, it's good enough for me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #382 on: October 15, 2021, 12:14:32 PM »
How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes.  But why change it in the first place - clearly the the composer wrote for that instrument.  This idea is not an "arrangement" its at best reorchestration for no apparent benefit - unless its just because you don't like the actual sound of the Ondes?
It makes me want to vomit.

Offline Iota

• Veteran member
« Reply #383 on: October 15, 2021, 12:40:11 PM »

I can see how that might interfere with your enjoyment .. 

Personally I like the ondes martenot in Turangalila. But I do see how as an instrument it might be unpalatable to some. In the Messiaen it seems uniquely able to trigger effusions of craziness/ecstasy that just wouldn't be the same without it.

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #384 on: October 15, 2021, 01:15:25 PM »

My sentiments exactly.

How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes. 

How about a specially designed 10 meter long slide whistle.

Maybe it can be named a "Koechlin whistle," in the spirit of the Wagner tuba.

:D

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #385 on: October 15, 2021, 02:05:22 PM »

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #386 on: October 15, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »
that I doubt

Saying it makes me want to vomit is hyperbole. It makes me want to turn the recording off, which I invariably do.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »
For Janáček fans, Jenůfa is still available, FREE, from the Royal Opera House, in an archived livestream from October. Not sure how long this will be available, but for anyone who loves the piece, definitely check it out. Asmik Grigorian sings the title role, Karita Mattila is Kostelnička, and all conducted by Henrik Nánási.

https://stream.roh.org.uk/free-titles/videos/jenufa

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY