Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

Started by karlhenning, June 12, 2007, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 14, 2021, 08:16:43 PM
I think sometimes arrangements are worth it. For example, it would be good to hear an arrangement of Messiaean's Turangalia Symphony where the Ondes Martenot is replaced by a real instrument, a viola say. I once wrote to Messiaean estate, very politely, proposing this, but they didn't reply  :(

How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes.  But why change it in the first place - clearly the the composer wrote for that instrument.  This idea is not an "arrangement" its at best reorchestration for no apparent benefit - unless its just because you don't like the actual sound of the Ondes?

Madiel

If an ondes martenot is good enough for Radiohead, it's good enough for me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2021, 12:21:16 AM
How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes.  But why change it in the first place - clearly the the composer wrote for that instrument.  This idea is not an "arrangement" its at best reorchestration for no apparent benefit - unless its just because you don't like the actual sound of the Ondes?
It makes me want to vomit.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Iota

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 15, 2021, 12:14:32 PM

I can see how that might interfere with your enjoyment .. 

Personally I like the ondes martenot in Turangalila. But I do see how as an instrument it might be unpalatable to some. In the Messiaen it seems uniquely able to trigger effusions of craziness/ecstasy that just wouldn't be the same without it.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 15, 2021, 12:14:32 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2021, 12:21:16 AM
How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes. 

How about a specially designed 10 meter long slide whistle.

Maybe it can be named a "Koechlin whistle," in the spirit of the Wagner tuba.

:D
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Roasted Swan

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2021, 02:05:22 PM
that I doubt

Saying it makes me want to vomit is hyperbole. It makes me want to turn the recording off, which I invariably do.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

bhodges

For Janáček fans, Jenůfa is still available, FREE, from the Royal Opera House, in an archived livestream from October. Not sure how long this will be available, but for anyone who loves the piece, definitely check it out. Asmik Grigorian sings the title role, Karita Mattila is Kostelnička, and all conducted by Henrik Nánási.

https://stream.roh.org.uk/free-titles/videos/jenufa

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

What is your favorite movement from Sinfonietta? I came to think that this very work is a marvel in itself, and each movement is an independent world, memorable, strikingly rhtythmic, harmonically compelling and "refreshing" from similar composers.

Mine is the 2nd. Gorgeous is just little to describe how unique this movement is. The brass section in the 2nd half of the mov. with that noble motif/tune gets me everytime!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 06:55:57 PM
What is your favorite movement from Sinfonietta?

Oh, that's simple --- all of them. :)

Roasted Swan

I listened to this version just the other day.....

and enjoyed it a lot - I agree with MI - I like it ALL.  With this - and other Czech recordings, especially those over 20 years old - there is this great brass sound that I just love.  The Brno orchestra can legitimately call itself Janacek's own orchestra as he lived in the town most of his life so perhaps this is the authentic Janacek sound? 

But perhaps more interestingly for me this time was listening to the couplings.  All of which I have heard over the years but in fact they rarely feature when I'm looking for some Janacek to listen to.  But I was really impressed this time not just by the music but by these performances.  These are late scores and mainly incomplete.  The Danube Symphony features an extraordinary coloratura soprano part navigated here with confident skill by Karolina Dvorakova.  Here in the UK one of our main high street banks used part of the Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin's "Wild Swans" score for a TV advert.  I can only assume Kats-Chernin knew the Danube Symphony!  The music here contains many of Janaceks latest even last scores and as such are of real interest to any Janacek admirer....

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 23, 2022, 11:12:56 PM
I listened to this version just the other day.....

and enjoyed it a lot - I agree with MI - I like it ALL.  With this - and other Czech recordings, especially those over 20 years old - there is this great brass sound that I just love.  The Brno orchestra can legitimately call itself Janacek's own orchestra as he lived in the town most of his life so perhaps this is the authentic Janacek sound? 

But perhaps more interestingly for me this time was listening to the couplings.  All of which I have heard over the years but in fact they rarely feature when I'm looking for some Janacek to listen to.  But I was really impressed this time not just by the music but by these performances.  These are late scores and mainly incomplete.  The Danube Symphony features an extraordinary coloratura soprano part navigated here with confident skill by Karolina Dvorakova.  Here in the UK one of our main high street banks used part of the Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin's "Wild Swans" score for a TV advert.  I can only assume Kats-Chernin knew the Danube Symphony!  The music here contains many of Janaceks latest even last scores and as such are of real interest to any Janacek admirer....

Interesting to read. I'll make sure to listen to this recording. Thanks for sharing.

Noam Chomsky

Leo K.

This has been my jam this morning. I've been becoming a real fan of Janacek as of late. Broadening my musical horizons the last few years and finding new favorites.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Leo K. on March 18, 2022, 07:28:58 AM

This has been my jam this morning. I've been becoming a real fan of Janacek as of late. Broadening my musical horizons the last few years and finding new favorites.

That is a fantastic collection. Janacek Chamber music (string quartets especially) and solo piano music is equally striking.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Leo K. on March 18, 2022, 07:28:58 AM

Great choice!  Delighted to see that you've become a Janacek fan!  By the way, do you know his two string quartets?  They're big favorites of mine.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Leo K.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 18, 2022, 07:41:22 AM
Great choice!  Delighted to see that you've become a Janacek fan!  By the way, do you know his two string quartets?  They're big favorites of mine.  :)

PD

Thank you! Yeah I've listened to them each one time so far - wild rides they are! I will definitively return to them too very soon. They are amazing conceptions and music, there is nothing like Janacek and I'm sad that I didn't get into him sooner.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Leo K. on March 18, 2022, 09:04:06 AM
Thank you! Yeah I've listened to them each one time so far - wild rides they are! I will definitively return to them too very soon. They are amazing conceptions and music, there is nothing like Janacek and I'm sad that I didn't get into him sooner.

It's nice when there is still something new to discover!

Leo K.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 18, 2022, 09:21:33 AM
It's nice when there is still something new to discover!

Yeah wow, I love it and it really inspires the soul!