The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

<< < (77/80) > >>

Roasted Swan:

--- Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 14, 2021, 08:16:43 PM ---I think sometimes arrangements are worth it. For example, it would be good to hear an arrangement of Messiaean's Turangalia Symphony where the Ondes Martenot is replaced by a real instrument, a viola say. I once wrote to Messiaean estate, very politely, proposing this, but they didn't reply  :(

--- End quote ---

How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes.  But why change it in the first place - clearly the the composer wrote for that instrument.  This idea is not an "arrangement" its at best reorchestration for no apparent benefit - unless its just because you don't like the actual sound of the Ondes?

Madiel:
If an ondes martenot is good enough for Radiohead, it's good enough for me.

calyptorhynchus:

--- Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2021, 12:21:16 AM ---How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes.  But why change it in the first place - clearly the the composer wrote for that instrument.  This idea is not an "arrangement" its at best reorchestration for no apparent benefit - unless its just because you don't like the actual sound of the Ondes?

--- End quote ---
It makes me want to vomit.

Iota:

--- Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 15, 2021, 12:14:32 PM ---It makes me want to vomit.

--- End quote ---

I can see how that might interfere with your enjoyment .. 

Personally I like the ondes martenot in Turangalila. But I do see how as an instrument it might be unpalatable to some. In the Messiaen it seems uniquely able to trigger effusions of craziness/ecstasy that just wouldn't be the same without it.

Spotted Horses:

--- Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 15, 2021, 12:14:32 PM ---It makes me want to vomit.

--- End quote ---

My sentiments exactly.

--- Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2021, 12:21:16 AM ---How on earth would that work?  Apart from audibility no other instrument can seamlessly transition from high to low register likes the Ondes. 

--- End quote ---

How about a specially designed 10 meter long slide whistle.

Maybe it can be named a "Koechlin whistle," in the spirit of the Wagner tuba.

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version