The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

<< < (79/83) > >>

Roasted Swan:
I listened to this version just the other day.....

and enjoyed it a lot - I agree with MI - I like it ALL.  With this - and other Czech recordings, especially those over 20 years old - there is this great brass sound that I just love.  The Brno orchestra can legitimately call itself Janacek's own orchestra as he lived in the town most of his life so perhaps this is the authentic Janacek sound? 

But perhaps more interestingly for me this time was listening to the couplings.  All of which I have heard over the years but in fact they rarely feature when I'm looking for some Janacek to listen to.  But I was really impressed this time not just by the music but by these performances.  These are late scores and mainly incomplete.  The Danube Symphony features an extraordinary coloratura soprano part navigated here with confident skill by Karolina Dvorakova.  Here in the UK one of our main high street banks used part of the Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin's "Wild Swans" score for a TV advert.  I can only assume Kats-Chernin knew the Danube Symphony!  The music here contains many of Janaceks latest even last scores and as such are of real interest to any Janacek admirer....

Symphonic Addict:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on January 23, 2022, 08:30:10 PM ---Oh, that's simple --- all of them. :)

--- End quote ---

:P

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 24, 2022, 10:17:36 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Symphonic Addict:

--- Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 24, 2022, 12:12:56 AM ---I listened to this version just the other day.....

and enjoyed it a lot - I agree with MI - I like it ALL.  With this - and other Czech recordings, especially those over 20 years old - there is this great brass sound that I just love.  The Brno orchestra can legitimately call itself Janacek's own orchestra as he lived in the town most of his life so perhaps this is the authentic Janacek sound? 

But perhaps more interestingly for me this time was listening to the couplings.  All of which I have heard over the years but in fact they rarely feature when I'm looking for some Janacek to listen to.  But I was really impressed this time not just by the music but by these performances.  These are late scores and mainly incomplete.  The Danube Symphony features an extraordinary coloratura soprano part navigated here with confident skill by Karolina Dvorakova.  Here in the UK one of our main high street banks used part of the Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin's "Wild Swans" score for a TV advert.  I can only assume Kats-Chernin knew the Danube Symphony!  The music here contains many of Janaceks latest even last scores and as such are of real interest to any Janacek admirer....

--- End quote ---

Interesting to read. I'll make sure to listen to this recording. Thanks for sharing.

Leo K.:

This has been my jam this morning. I've been becoming a real fan of Janacek as of late. Broadening my musical horizons the last few years and finding new favorites.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version