Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

Started by karlhenning, June 12, 2007, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Here's a recent performance by yours truly and fantastic pianist Érico Freire Bezerra of Janáček's magical Pohadka (Fairy Tale) for cello and piano. Full of imaginative instrumental effects, atmospheric sonorities, and soaring melodies, it's one of the gems of the cello and piano literature. In particular, the climax of the 2nd movement, with the cello reaching into its very highest register, is a truly stunning passage: https://youtu.be/8tOZvcBgnbA
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on June 08, 2022, 08:25:43 PM
Here's a recent performance by yours truly and fantastic pianist Érico Freire Bezerra of Janáček's magical Pohadka (Fairy Tale) for cello and piano. Full of imaginative instrumental effects, atmospheric sonorities, and soaring melodies, it's one of the gems of the cello and piano literature. In particular, the climax of the 2nd movement, with the cello reaching into its very highest register, is a truly stunning passage: https://youtu.be/8tOZvcBgnbA

That was beautiful!

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Madiel

Indeed, easily one of my favourite Janacek pieces. Very nice.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

I am looking to get recordings of The Cunning Little Vixen and The Excursions of Mr Broucek. Presto's opera sale gives the following options and I'd welcome suggestions about which to get.
EoMB

I admit the last one there is attractive solely for the presence of Wunderlich and Keilberth.
CLV

Rattle must like this opera a lot: besides these two recordings, he also recorded it for EMI, but Presto isn't listing it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 08:29:01 AM
I am looking to get recordings of The Cunning Little Vixen and The Excursions of Mr Broucek. Presto's opera sale gives the following options and I'd welcome suggestions about which to get.
EoMB

I admit the last one there is attractive solely for the presence of Wunderlich and Keilberth.
CLV

Rattle must like this opera a lot: besides these two recordings, he also recorded it for EMI, but Presto isn't listing it.

The Chandos set is a re-issue of the EMI.

For Vixen, I would suggest looking for the second Neumann recording (with Benačkova), the Gregor recording, or the Mackerras. 

or

Been a while since I listened to Broucek.  That Jilek recording is very good, and there was also a Belohlavek recording on DG.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 08:29:01 AM
EoMB

CLV

Daverz makes some great suggestions. Neumann's later recording of The Cunning Little Vixen on Supraphon is excellent and is superior to the earlier one with the Prague National Theatre Orchestra. Mackerras on Decca, however, is my favorite recording of this opera. As for The Excursions of Mr. Brouček, František Jílek is outstanding. You can't go wrong with that recording.

Mirror Image

One of the things that has always surprised me is how there's not a Janáček Complete Edition available on either Decca or Supraphon (I think these are the labels that have the largest discographies of this composer). I own the Decca sets that were released many years ago, but I wouldn't exactly call them luxury sets by any means. It'd be nice if these labels would put together some kind of box set, especially for the fan who is just starting to get into Janáček's music and wants a one-stop box set of his oeuvre. I guess they're waiting until 2028, which would mark the 100th anniversary of his passing.

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 03:09:29 PM
One of the things that has always surprised me is how there's not a Janáček Complete Edition available on either Decca or Supraphon (I think these are the labels that have the largest discographies of this composer). I own the Decca sets that were released many years ago, but I wouldn't exactly call them luxury sets by any means. It'd be nice if these labels would put together some kind of box set, especially for the fan who is just starting to get into Janáček's music and wants a one-stop box set of his oeuvre. I guess they're waiting until 2028, which would mark the 100th anniversary of his passing.

I imagine Supraphon at least would do something notable for the anniversary, yes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on July 06, 2022, 03:48:02 AM
I imagine Supraphon at least would do something notable for the anniversary, yes.

Let's hope this will be the case.

Mirror Image

Sorry for the late reply, Kyle, but you and the pianist did an excellent job. I've loved this piece for years. It's too bad that it's not a part of the standard repertoire for cello/piano works. It deserves to be performed more often!

Brian

I think there are a lot of unpublished pieces from before 1900, especially from his youth. Would love to hear from someone more expert on what level of "complete edition" is possible, whether any premiere recordings are possible, and how much is lost permanently.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on July 06, 2022, 04:17:01 PM
I think there are a lot of unpublished pieces from before 1900, especially from his youth. Would love to hear from someone more expert on what level of "complete edition" is possible, whether any premiere recordings are possible, and how much is lost permanently.

Let's not forget about the Supraphon series Janáček Unknown, which had several volumes (four or five in all), so these might be worth looking into, Brian if you're interested. They're all OOP it seems.

Mandryka

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2021, 08:32:22 AMPD:  if you like the Janacek quartets try and hear this disc (perhaps Hurwitz mentioned it - I've no idea)

Not only were these the first recordings of a new critical edition of the quartets - with several terrifyingly hard passages reinstated on the "original" instruments, but also the filler is a brilliantly idiomatic transcription of movements from "On an Overgrown Path" for quartet.  Its nearly as good as having a third quartet by Janacek!

Does anyone have the booklet? Is it interesting? It's streaming everywhere, by the way.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Biffo

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2022, 03:27:16 AMDoes anyone have the booklet? Is it interesting? It's streaming everywhere, by the way.

I bought this album back in May 2021. Fine performances of the quartets, as I recall; didn't see much point to the transcriptions. The booklet is fairly basic, the English part is just a couple of pages and a photo of Janacek.

Mandryka

Quote from: Biffo on December 10, 2022, 03:55:52 AMI bought this album back in May 2021. Fine performances of the quartets, as I recall; didn't see much point to the transcriptions. The booklet is fairly basic, the English part is just a couple of pages and a photo of Janacek.

Thanks for checking the booklet. Agreed about the transcription. I like their performance of the 1st quartet very much. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2022, 07:29:36 AMThanks for checking the booklet. Agreed about the transcription. I like their performance of the 1st quartet very much. 

Trranscriptions/arrangements seem to divide people - I come down on the side of liking them if a) they seem appropriate/well done b) throw some light on aspects of the composer/music arranged that is not otherwise obvious.  What I would say in "defence" of the arrangements here are certainly well-arranged for strings and of course Burghauser was very steeped in the Czech music tradition.  Also - on disc, the 2 'proper' Janacek Quartets usually have to have a coupling/filler to complete the disc.  I'd rather have something that piques my interest such as these pieces than another Smetana "From My Life" etc.....

Spotted Horses

I don't think I ever heard a work by Janacek that I didn't enjoy, but I never fail to be amazed at how evocative Janacek Piano music is. Lately I've been listening to Kupiec's release, and have discovered the three Moravian Dances that Janacek arranged for solo piano. It is apparently from a set of 21 (perhaps for two pianos) but I've not been able to find a recording of the larger set.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

lunar22

Janacek has been my favourite composer for a long time -- indeed I spent a whole week in Brno listening to 5 of his operas including the delightful Beginning of a Romance which I don't think has ever been performed outside the Czech lands. If I had to pick just one disk, it would be the second Neumann recording of the Vixen -- already mentioned above. Some quote or allusion from it appears in quite a number of my own works -- I just can't help myself.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 20, 2023, 08:19:48 AMI don't think I ever heard a work by Janacek that I didn't enjoy, but I never fail to be amazed at how evocative Janacek Piano music is. Lately I've been listening to Kupiec's release, and have discovered the three Moravian Dances that Janacek arranged for solo piano. It is apparently from a set of 21 (perhaps for two pianos) but I've not been able to find a recording of the larger set.

I'll see if I can find some samples of Kupiec's recordings.

Quote from: lunar22 on June 20, 2023, 11:06:49 AMJanacek has been my favourite composer for a long time -- indeed I spent a whole week in Brno listening to 5 of his operas including the delightful Beginning of a Romance which I don't think has ever been performed outside the Czech lands. If I had to pick just one disk, it would be the second Neumann recording of the Vixen -- already mentioned above. Some quote or allusion from it appears in quite a number of my own works -- I just can't help myself.
Cool that you love his music so much.  What kind of works have you written?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter