Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

Started by karlhenning, June 12, 2007, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just Jeff

This "Composer Portrait" 3LP box set has the core Karel Ancerl conducted pieces in lovely sound quality, pressed in Germany from what sounds like original tapes.  It is my go-to set when I am in the mood for Janacek.

20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

Brian

Right now I'm sitting at a desk in the British Library. At the desk immediately in front of me is a man with a huge stack of Janacek books, including Jenufa (score?) and Svet Janackovych Oper, which is too small to be scores. I think there's a book about Mussorgsky's operas too. Cool stuff  8)

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on December 04, 2010, 06:59:49 AM
Right now I'm sitting at a desk in the British Library. At the desk immediately in front of me is a man with a huge stack of Janacek books, including Jenufa (score?) and Svet Janackovych Oper, which is too small to be scores. I think there's a book about Mussorgsky's operas too. Cool stuff  8)

Luke is from the UK, isn't he? :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Quote from: Opus106 on December 04, 2010, 07:02:07 AM
Luke is from the UK, isn't he? :)

Yes, boning up for a post about Janacek, no doubt.   8)

Brian

He just got Janacek: Years of a Life, Volume I, and literally flipped through the pages from start to end - literally flipped the pages - without reading anything. Luke, I am so disappointed in your scholarship!  :o

*Luke's picture on Facebook doesn't have a grey beard, so we might not have a match. :(

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on December 04, 2010, 07:22:48 AM
He just got Janacek: Years of a Life, Volume I, and literally flipped through the pages from start to end - literally flipped the pages - without reading anything. Luke, I am so disappointed in your scholarship!  :o

*Luke's picture on Facebook doesn't have a grey beard, so we might not have a match. :(

Is he muttering, "what, no pictures"?

karlhenning

Quote from: Brian on December 04, 2010, 06:59:49 AM
. . . Svet Janackovych Oper . . . .

Must mean something like The World of Janáček's Operas.

Luke

Quote from: Brian on December 04, 2010, 07:22:48 AM

LOL! Actually, I do have a beard, as of the summer - that facebook pic is years old, to be honest, though I never go there nowadays, so it doesn't get changed....however, though I hate to disappoint, the truth is I'm busily slaving over my school reports at the moment, much as I would like to be in a library with the score to Jenufa. (It all brings back pleasant memories of the medieval splendours of the library at King's College in which I immersed myself in Janacek scores during my time there - one of my favourite places on earth!)

karlhenning

Luke, if you're still awake at 7:00PM Chowder Time tonight, that's the Henning Radio Gala ; )

Luke

7.00 p.m. real time, or your time?  ;) I'm out tonight - especially if I can get 77 reports written in the next 20 minutes, which i doubt somehow. Is anyone recording it?

karlhenning

Boston (Massachusetts) time. I think Lance may well make his own recording of his shows; but just in case, I am trying to figure out how to make my own "dub."

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 04, 2010, 07:35:22 AM
Luke, if you're still awake at 7:00PM Chowder Time tonight, that's the Henning Radio Gala ; )

Hey, that's midnight. I'll probably be up. I'll stop by your thread for deets?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 04, 2010, 07:25:36 AM
Must mean something like The World of Janáček's Operas.

It does. Must be some sort of guidebook...
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

karlhenning

Quote from: Brian on December 04, 2010, 08:40:55 AM
Hey, that's midnight. I'll probably be up. I'll stop by your thread for deets?

Yes, here.

Guido

Looked through my collection today and was amazed that I didn't have the Glagolitic Mass! I thought I knew all the major works of Janacek by now, so it's an absolute delight that one lays undiscovered still, and such a major one! Of course I don't have his entire oeuvre, but excepting this I have all the essentials and much more besides (though I'm sure Luke would say everything by Janacek is an essential!).

Is the Ancerl the one to get then? Whats all this controversy with versions? Usually with Janacek original is best in my experience...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Guido

Just listening on Spotify to the little piano pieces (not from the "big three" piano works) of Janacek that Ades has recorded at the moment. All of them are fantastic - perfect, crystaline little utterances, a mood, a flutter, a moment distilled, a ravishment, captured and recorded.

Must get a copy of these too. So wonderful.

And poking around the Janacel wikipedia page - I also don't have the Eternal Gospel (never even heard of that one before!), a cantata no less!  Also don't have any of the choral works. These things need remedying. Obviously.

One is almost surprised to realise on reflection that he tried his hand at virtually every major genre: String Quartet, Opera, Symphony, Tone Poem, Piano concerto, Violin Concerto, Violin Sonata, Cello Sonata, Piano Sonata, Piano miniature, Mass, Cantata, Song Cycle - all about as central and standard in terms of 19th century genres as one could imagine, all utterly transformed into something completely personal and wonderful and weird.
Geologist.

Luke

The Eternal Gospel is proper, big, mature Janacek, pure Janacek in style and content, and it ought to be better known ... but it has never grabbed me as much as the other big works of his maturity, if I am honest.

But as far as the other choral music goes, you ought to head straight for the Bezruc choruses - they are relatively little-known works, but they are amongst his finest, most moving masterpieces.

Guido

Ok will do. What recording of Glagolitic and Eternal Gospel is best? And the Bezruc choruses for that matter (though I somewhow doubt there's quite as many options.)

Now that you say that I do in fact remember you talking about The Eternal Gospel before. I think we all have blind spots in the oeuvre's of our favourites. It's sometimes comforting to know that they couldn't be geniuses (however warped or partial) all the time!

(Here I am at 3am still not in bed because I can't stop Jenufa listening to Jenufa! Tomorrow: Osud, Katya.)
Geologist.

Guido

Which of these has the Bezruc? Are all worth getting?
[asin]B000025JP3[/asin]

[asin]B000024WC2[/asin]

[asin]B000002ZYB[/asin]
Geologist.

Luke

I have them all, and they are all worth getting, though there is obviously some duplication of repertoire. The Bezruc settings are on the second of those discs, which is one of the Janacek discs I listen to most frequently. It also has the extraordinary modernist-primitve setting of Tagore's The Wandering Madman (the two men actually met, which I find the most beautiful idea!)