Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

Started by karlhenning, June 12, 2007, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggluek

Yes, I'm sure that's the one.

Madiel

Yesterday was my introduction to On An Overgrown Path.

As a result, I need to say: the last piece of the first series, The barn owl has not flown away, is incredible.

So haunting.  And so very modern. I could easily hear this in a film score somewhere.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

mahler10th

Quote from: orfeo on October 05, 2012, 05:51:51 PM

As a result, I need to say: the last piece of the first series, The barn owl has not flown away, is incredible.

So haunting.  And so very modern. I could easily hear this in a film score somewhere.

What a treat that must have been orfeo.  Something Janacek brought to piano pieces gives them a real atmosphere, it's always great when other folk hear the same.  An Overgrown Path is utter brilliance to me.  Despite it's modernity, it takes me here:  I am wandering along country wooded lanes in an autumn evening, heartbroken, at the turn of the last century.  It really does have a 'teleportation' quality.
Excellent.  It is such a wonderful set of wee pieces.  I am most happy you heard this and liked it, and great to see it being mentioned on GMG again.

North Star

Quote from: orfeo on October 05, 2012, 05:51:51 PM

Good to read you like it. Just wait until you've heard In the mists, the string quartets, the violin sonata, Mládi, Sinfonietta, Glagolitic, and Ridakla!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Quote from: North Star on October 06, 2012, 03:34:18 PM
Good to read you like it. Just wait until you've heard In the mists, the string quartets, the violin sonata, Mládi, Sinfonietta, Glagolitic, and Ridakla!

Already know the Sinfonietta and Glagolitic Mass.  Just not from my new box set!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

North Star

Quote from: orfeo on October 07, 2012, 03:21:11 PM
Already know the Sinfonietta and Glagolitic Mass.  Just not from my new box set!
Excellent!

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Attention lovers of the original Glagolitic Mass:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Attention lovers of bad typos: Check out the first movement of Taras Bulba.  ;D )

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 19, 2012, 09:43:18 AM
Attention lovers of the original Glagolitic Mass:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Attention lovers of bad typos: Check out the first movement of Taras Bulba.  ;D )

Yes! I'm excited for this release, Brian! Hopefully, it will be a good one. Janowski is an excellent conductor.

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 19, 2012, 09:47:53 AM
Yes! I'm excited for this release, Brian! Hopefully, it will be a good one. Janowski is an excellent conductor.
+∞
E:

Amazon DE release date: 20. November 2012!
http://www.amazon.de/Glagolitic-Taras-Soloists-RundfunkSinfonieorchester-Berlin/dp/B0085BFVHS/

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

I've had my eye on this set for quite a little time, I'm going to get it for Christmas:

[asin]B0001Y4JH0[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 19, 2012, 11:59:17 AM
I've had my eye on this set for quite a little time, I'm going to get it for Christmas:

[asin]B0001Y4JH0[/asin]

A great set, Ilaria! You'll enjoy it.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 19, 2012, 09:47:53 AM
I requested a review copy from MusicWeb, so hopefully I'll be receiving it in the new year.

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 19, 2012, 12:07:24 PM
+1
How well do you know Janacek, Ilaria? Do you have any other recordings?

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 19, 2012, 12:07:24 PM

Thank you, John! I haven't also forgotten your suggestion about Mackerras' performances of the Janaceck operas; that's another set I'm definitely keen to listen to. :)

Quote from: North Star on December 19, 2012, 12:17:55 PM
+1
How well do you know Janacek, Ilaria? Do you have any other recordings?

I'm not extremely familiar with Janacek's compositions yet, but I've loved what I've listend to very much (Sinfonietta, Glagolitic Mass, Overture Zarlivost, The Wandering of a Little Soul, Taras Bulba and The Cunning Little Vixen - Suite); that's why I would like to improve my knowledge of his music.
I've got these recordings so far:

Rudolf Kempe/RPO: Glagolitic Mass, Overture Zarlivost, The Cunning Little Vixen - Suite.
MTT/LSO: Glagolitic Mass, Sinfonietta.
Josef Suk/Vaclav Neumann/Czech Philharmonic: The Wandering of a Little Soul, Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

North Star

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 19, 2012, 12:54:24 PM
Thank you, John! I haven't also forgotten your suggestion about Mackerras' performances of the Janaceck operas; that's another set I'm definitely keen to listen to. :)

I'm not extremely familiar with Janacek's compositions yet, but I've loved what I've listend to very much (Sinfonietta, Glagolitic Mass, Overture Zarlivost, The Wandering of a Little Soul, Taras Bulba and The Cunning Little Vixen - Suite); that's why I would like to improve my knowledge of his music.
I've got these recordings so far:

Rudolf Kempe/RPO: Glagolitic Mass, Overture Zarlivost, The Cunning Little Vixen - Suite.
MTT/LSO: Glagolitic Mass, Sinfonietta.
Josef Suk/Vaclav Neumann/Czech Philharmonic: The Wandering of a Little Soul, Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba.

You definitely need the operas, and Mackerras's Decca box is an economic way to get excellent performances, but there's no libretti, and the Wiener Philharmoniker aren't exactly idiomatic.
You might perhaps consider these, for starters:

But the chamber music and piano works should definitely be the next stop for you.

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 19, 2012, 12:16:39 PM
I requested a review copy from MusicWeb, so hopefully I'll John will be receiving it in the new year.

There...corrected. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on December 19, 2012, 01:14:12 PMand the Wiener Philharmoniker aren't exactly idiomatic.

So what? I never understood this. The London Symphony Orchestra could play the hell out of Janacek and they're not Czech. I never understood the notion that just because an orchestra, or conductor, isn't of the composer they're performing nationality that they somehow wouldn't sound right for the music. I've heard much better recordings of Janacek's music from a non-Czech conductor and orchestra than I have of the real thing. Sorry, I just don't buy into your whole 'idiomatic' opinion. This MEANS NOTHING in music performance.

North Star

Hmmm, I guess it's not a huge mystery who got that one copy from German Amazon's stock... ;D

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 19, 2012, 01:21:48 PM
So what? I never understood this. The London Symphony Orchestra could play the hell out of Janacek and they're not Czech. I never understood the notion that just because an orchestra, or conductor, isn't of the composer they're performing nationality that they somehow wouldn't sound right for the music. I've heard much better recordings of Janacek's music from a non-Czech conductor and orchestra than I have of the real thing. Sorry, I just don't buy into your whole 'idiomatic' opinion. This MEANS NOTHING in music performance.
You mean that the unique sound of the Czech orchestras doesn't make even the slightest difference?
I didn't mean they can't play the music well, but with Janacek so much has to do with the local speech patterns and folk music, and I find pronunciation and orchestral tone to be important. Of course there are singers like Soukupova and Blachut in the Mackerras box, so that isn't an issue.
Anyway, the Mackerras & WP recordings are great, too - forgot to add that earlier.

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: North Star on December 19, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
You definitely need the operas, and Mackerras's Decca box is an economic way to get excellent performances, but there's no libretti, and the Wiener Philharmoniker aren't exactly idiomatic.
You might perhaps consider these, for starters:

But the chamber music and piano works should definitely be the next stop for you.

Thank you for the feedback, Karlo! I'll certainly get Janacek's operas at some point, all these sets look excellent; I had only considered the Mackerras/VPO set so far, but I think the Neumann could be amazing as well ( he and the Czech Philharmonic are a winning combination, and moreover it's rather hard to beat the CPO in Czech composers :)). It's not a great problem if there's no libretti in Mackerras' box, I usually prefer to concentrate on the music.

North Star

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 19, 2012, 02:21:29 PM
Thank you for the feedback, Karlo! I'll certainly get Janacek's operas at some point, all these sets look excellent; I had only considered the Mackerras/VPO set so far, but I think the Neumann could be amazing as well ( he and the Czech Philharmonic are a winning combination, and moreover it's rather hard to beat the CPO in Czech composers :)). It's not a great problem if there's no libretti in Mackerras' box, I usually prefer to concentrate on the music.
I'm not reading the libretto most of time I'm listening, either. If libretti don't matter at all, even in somewhat stranger operas, definitely get the Mackerras box first thing.

My photographs on Flickr