Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

Started by karlhenning, June 12, 2007, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Direct link to PDF file from Hyperion

If you know that a piece has been recorded by Hyperion, Chandos, Naxos or Soli Deo Gloria (that's Gardiner's private label) you can usually download the notes for free, from their respective websites (assuming the disc is still in print and has a dedicated page to it, of course).
Regards,
Navneeth

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on April 07, 2014, 12:35:14 PM
Yes :( .

I liked No. 1 better, but that doesn't say much. Not that I thought they were bad, but they weren't for me right now. And that doesn't say much (about me) because I usually like large ensemble/orchestral music. In fact, the quartets that I listed (along with Bartok No. 3) are pretty much the only ones that I listen to regularly. Quartets are great fun to play in, but I don't like listening to them so much.

What orchestral works of Janacek are your favorite? What should I hear next?

The Violin Concerto 'The Wanderding of a Little Soul', Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba - in that order (same answer to either question)
https://www.youtube.com/v/9S-tz2jR05c   https://www.youtube.com/v/PScaxSwGa6o  https://www.youtube.com/v/NH0e14TKa4M
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on April 07, 2014, 12:47:54 PM
The Violin Concerto 'The Wanderding of a Little Soul', Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba - in that order (same answer to either question)
https://www.youtube.com/v/9S-tz2jR05c   https://www.youtube.com/v/PScaxSwGa6o  https://www.youtube.com/v/NH0e14TKa4M
I listened to the violin concerto and the "Sinfonietta". I don't like them that much, but I'm glad that I've heard them. Just started "Taras Bulba", which I like a little bit more so far.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

What is it you don't like about these works, Nate? Could you elaborate a bit more?

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 08, 2014, 06:09:54 PM
What is it you don't like about these works, Nate? Could you elaborate a bit more?
Well, since you asked  0:)
In the two quartets and the Sinfonietta the writing seems to be all over the place. To me, it sounds like a very good composer who can't quite make up his mind on where he wants his music to go. To a lesser extent, there was this accompanying motif that he likes to use (particularly in the Sinfonietta, the two quartets, and the violin concerto) that I just didn't like. I'm not sure why -- just a personal preference, I guess. It wouldn't have bothered me if it was used more sparingly, but it isn't.

I actually did like the "Taras Bulba" significantly more than the others. I also liked aspects of the works I listed above (harmonies and general folksy-spirit).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on April 08, 2014, 06:29:54 PM
In the two quartets and the Sinfonietta the writing seems to be all over the place. To me, it sounds like a very good composer who can't quite make up his mind on where he wants his music to go. To a lesser extent, there was this accompanying motif that he likes to use (particularly in the Sinfonietta, the two quartets, and the violin concerto) that I just didn't like. I'm not sure why -- just a personal preference, I guess. It wouldn't have bothered me if it was used more sparingly, but it isn't.

I actually did like the "Taras Bulba" significantly more than the others. I also liked aspects of the works I listed above (harmonies and general folksy-spirit).

The reason I asked is because Janacek is a sentimental favorite of mine as I was exposed to his music as a kid. My dad always would tell me about how he had learn the opening of Sinfonietta when he was in band in high school. I think he was a brilliant composer and others will disagree of course, but the 'roughness' of his music is very appealing to me whereas for someone else this might seem distracting and quite jarring to listen to. As I have stated on this forum before, I think Kata Kabanova is one of the most magnificent pieces of music ever composed and, yes, it's an opera. :)

Brian

Quote from: EigenUser on April 08, 2014, 06:29:54 PM
In the two quartets and the Sinfonietta the writing seems to be all over the place.

Gah!! Must...not...attack!!

Having just seen it again, for the third time, I can inform you that the Sinfonietta is one of my top five favorite pieces to see live, because the live experience is so thrilling. Also on the list: Havergal Brian's Gothic; Berlioz' Symphonie fantastique; Mahler's Third; and I haven't decided on the fifth one.

snyprrr

Quote from: Brian on April 09, 2014, 04:52:42 AM
Gah!! Must...not...attack!!

Having just seen it again, for the third time, I can inform you that the Sinfonietta is one of my top five favorite pieces to see live, because the live experience is so thrilling. Also on the list: Havergal Brian's Gothic; Berlioz' Symphonie fantastique; Mahler's Third; and I haven't decided on the fifth one.

Down boy! He didn't mean it, he's new... wait... what?... ATTACK ATTACK!! No one never not liked Janacek 'round these here parts. Wha?... who?...

North Star

Perhaps it's time for us to prod Nate into trying again..

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on May 20, 2014, 07:35:41 AM
Perhaps it's time for us to prod Nate into trying again..
Janacek is one composer so far that I've heard that I just don't like. I guess he's popular enough, so I don't feel too bad saying this. But, I will try again at some point. Just not the "Sinfonietta" -- I really didn't like that piece. *runs for his life*

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: EigenUser on May 20, 2014, 08:16:24 AM
. . . Just not the "Sinfonietta" -- I really didn't like that piece. *runs for his life*

But, you know . . . ten years from now, maybe you'll find you really do like it :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Janacek is one composer so far that I've heard that I just don't like....But, I will try again at some point. Just not the "Sinfonietta" -- I really didn't like that piece. *runs for his life*

Them's fightin' words

EigenUser
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

EigenUser

*ducks for cover*

I liked the suite from "The Cunning Little Vixen", though.

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on May 20, 2014, 12:25:57 PM
*ducks for cover*

I liked the suite from "The Cunning Little Vixen", though.
:)
Not the others, though?

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on May 20, 2014, 12:42:34 PM
:)
Not the others, though?
I didn't like the first one at all, but I haven't heard the third one yet. I'll get to it later and report back.

By the way, nice photography Janacekian! That shouldn't mean much coming from be because I am not at all artistic, but all I can say is that they look like those perfect-looking pictures that come loaded on Windows/OSX/etc.

calyptorhynchus

I love Janacek's works because every one of them breathes passion, many other C20 composers sound as if they are thinking 'hum, what next?' every few bars. There's a flute concerto by a well-known American composer where the flute enters goes up a bit, hesitates, goes down a bit, hesitates... and I turn it off. Janacek never hesitates.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on May 20, 2014, 12:49:44 PM
I didn't like the first one at all, but I haven't heard the third one yet. I'll get to it later and report back.

By the way, nice photography Janacekian! That shouldn't mean much coming from be because I am not at all artistic, but all I can say is that they look like those perfect-looking pictures that come loaded on Windows/OSX/etc.
Hm, I thought you'd like it, since I think Ligeti's Sippal... reminds me of Rikadla. But then again, I'm not sure if you even like the Ligeti piece..  ::)

Thanks!  :)

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on May 20, 2014, 02:03:01 PM
Hm, I thought you'd like it, since I think Ligeti's Sippal... reminds me of Rikadla. But then again, I'm not sure if you even like the Ligeti piece..  ::)

Thanks!  :)
I don't usually care for songs. I think that the reason I like "Sippal..." is because it is just so out there and imaginative with all of the slide whistles and such, but he actually makes it work (it doesn't just sound like he's playing around with different percussion instruments).

snyprrr

Janacek is one composer so far that I've heard that I just don't like. I guess he's popular enough, so I don't feel too bad saying this. But, I will try again at some point. Just not the "Sinfonietta" -- I really didn't like that piece. *runs for his life*

I was somewhat mocked by my two buds yesterday for playing the Mackerras 'Sinfonietta'. It's funny, but usually when my musical choice is being mocked, I always hear it from their perspective, and how ridiculous all this bom-bah sounds to them, and I usually turn it off, horrified that I listen to such garbage! :-[

But, yesterday, with my friends mocking the 'Sinfonietta'- the ONE CRITICISM every NORMIE has about ANY Classical Music is that it "SOUNDS LIKE A MOVIE"!!- and, obviously, the Sinfonietta is no different. At least my friends could pick 'what was happening'- snow storm, train ride, and so forth- lolz ensued!- but I did not feel ashamed because of the Sinfonietta. Sure, it is "culturally programmatic", or "movie like", or "just typical classical music that normies think sounds like StarWars", but, for me not to actually feel their embarrassment says something about Janacek's invention. He flits back and forth quickly, so that the mockers attention is taken up and their mocking is, at least, turned into some kind of familiarity by the end (I couldn't believe it played to the end of the conversation- unheard of!!).

So, at least as far as that classic Mackerras goes (and I have NEVER recommended any other recording but that one- as The Only One!), it has stood the test of time and redneck mockers to remain at least at the base of my foundation of 20th century music (or, frankly, classical "movie" music in general). My friend would rather have heard LvB 9 (oh, such an individual ::)).

But, just tell me what it is you don't like about the first 30 seconds of the Sinfonietta? On the Mackerras, those trumpets and drums have an impact like no other recording.

bah-bah-bah-bah-bah DUN-DUN-DUN- - Dun Dun - mm