Janáček (Leoš' Lair)

Started by karlhenning, June 12, 2007, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 09, 2014, 06:37:59 PMI know John and I share the same high praise for the MTT/LSO Mass & Sinfonietta disc, that's a desert island disc.

YES! A desert island disc indeed. 8)

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 09, 2014, 06:26:19 PM
Excellent, Ilaria! Jenufa is a very good opera. My favorite Janáček opera, however, is Káťa Kabanová. This opera, next to Bartók's Bluebeard's Castle, may very well be my favorite opera by any composer. That's how fantastic I think this Janáček is! 8) Can't wait to read more of your comments regarding this composer's operas.

Thank you, John! If I listened to Janáček's operas in chronological order (those ones comprised in the Mackerras box set), Káťa Kabanová would be the next one; I've read the plot, it sounds very enchanting. :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 10, 2014, 02:36:23 AM
Thank you, John! If I listened to Janáček's operas in chronological order (those ones comprised in the Mackerras box set), Káťa Kabanová would be the next one; I've read the plot, it sounds very enchanting. :)

You're welcome, Ilaria. Káťa Kabanová is, in a way, autobiographical because Janáček had fallen in love with this woman and she was the inspiration behind several of his works.

Luke

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 09, 2014, 06:37:59 PM
I know John and I share the same high praise for the MTT/LSO Mass & Sinfonietta disc, that's a desert island disc.
Great, now I'm really mad that when I ordered that disc it got lost in the mail and the seller refunded.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on September 10, 2014, 06:00:18 AM
Great, now I'm really mad that when I ordered that disc it got lost in the mail and the seller refunded.

Have you tried acquiring another copy, Brian?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 10, 2014, 06:23:54 AM
Have you tried acquiring another copy, Brian?

+1

Was just about to thank Brian for that nudge to find me a copy of that 'un.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2014, 06:49:16 AM
+1

Was just about to thank Brian for that nudge to find me a copy of that 'un.

It's a great recording that's for sure. It's quite the treat to hear MTT in Janáček.

TheGSMoeller

This movement belongs in a Terence Malick film, it's lyrical, charming, theatrical and most of all, full of life. Leoš composed a calm subtlety as good as any of them...

Leoš Janáček - Idyll for string orchestra, Mvt. V (Adagio)

https://www.youtube.com/v/3dItG8VMaM0

Karl Henning

Viz. my Taras Bulba mini-death-match  8)

Ančerl is, of course, a faultless, consummately musical interpreter.  I especially love the warm tones of the organ in Smrt Andrijova, and (everywhere) the full-blooded voice of the violas.  The full orchestra at the end of the third movement is, I think, not well served by the sound stage, at the dynamic peak the effect is glare-ish.

For the Dohnányi, I might wish the organ had not been quite so recessed for Smrt Andrijova;  but the orchestra's sound is so exquisite, the recording is so clean . . . overall, I do not repent of my arguably hasty assessment that this might be my preferred account of the piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on September 12, 2014, 05:34:36 AM

Ančerl is, of course, a faultless, consummately musical interpreter.  I especially love the warm tones of the organ in Smrt Andrijova, and (everywhere) the full-blooded voice of the violas.  The full orchestra at the end of the third movement is, I think, not well served by the sound stage, at the dynamic peak the effect is glare-ish.

For the Dohnányi, I might wish the organ had not been quite so recessed for Smrt Andrijova;  but the orchestra's sound is so exquisite, the recording is so clean . . . overall, I do not repent of my arguably hasty assessment that this might be my preferred account of the piece.

Yes, the closing passage in the Dohnányi/Cleveland recording is eye-tearingly delicious.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Very nice, Karl. Thanks for the write up.
In addition to the Dohnanyi, I own, or have heard, Mackerras, Gardiner, Wit and Pesek. All good, bringing something different to the music, but I really love the way Pesek drags out the ending, a real dramatic punch with what sounds like 20 horns!  And I always listen for that organ, I prefer it with a strong presence.

North Star

Thanks for the comparison, Karl! Now, if the Dohnányi only wasn't so frightfully expensive..  :-X
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

I've never done a comparison (I own Mack, Ancerl, A.Davis and Dohnányi). Don't know which I prefer. This, though, makes me hunger for a fifth version:

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 12, 2014, 05:56:12 AM
I really love the way Pesek drags out the ending, a real dramatic punch with what sounds like 20 horns!

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Wanderer

.[asin]B0000015A1[/asin][asin]B00005RDB2[/asin]

I already had the sublime RR issue of Serebrier's Janáček (Sinfonietta, Taras Bulba, Lachian Dances) and recently got the twofer repackaging for the opera preludes and suites. Equally captivating, in exemplary RR sonics.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2014, 06:12:29 AM
Arrived today: Janáček conducted by Pešek. Recommended (Taras Bulba) by Monkey Greg.

Sarge

Not sure how I managed not to listen to it before, but the Overture to From the House of the Dead: exquisite!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 05, 2014, 12:53:18 PM
Not sure how I managed not to listen to it before, but the Overture to From the House of the Dead: exquisite!
The recording or the piece, Karl?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on October 05, 2014, 12:53:18 PM

Yes, it's outstanding as is the opening prelude from Act I from the The Makropulos Case. Have you heard this one, Karl? Dynamite!

aligreto

I listened to two versions on vinyl of the Sinfonietta under the direction of Kubelik this evening....

This is a good performance which has the raw, elemental sound of the military band but one which I ultimately found to be underwhelming.

This I found to be a livelier performance with a bit more gusto and this one has a fine finale.

With both of these performances, however, one gets the impression of restraint, of something being held back.

aligreto

I followed the above with another vinyl version, this time Rattle/Philharmonia....

This is a performance that brings this work to life for me; contemplative when required and effervescent when called for.