Does Star Wars soundtrack count as classical music?

Started by paganinio, November 05, 2009, 08:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Wars music = classical music?

No
Yes

paganinio

I think smooth jazz counts as jazz, I might think post-rock counts as rock, but, Star Wars soundtrack, or any film soundtrack for that matter, counts as classical. I think a better term would be "contemporary orchestral compositions". But we really don't have an accurate term, other than "film score".

drogulus

If it can be turned into concert music it can be called classical. I suppose what it's taken for decides it. Williams is right in the middle of the classical tradition, his jazz background notwithstanding. So, what would disqualify a Star Wars Suite (there is one, right?)? In my opinion, nothing. Whether it could be considered exceptional classical music is another question. Certainly there is no reason to exclude Star Wars purely on quality. Besides, it's intrinsic to the modern understanding that bad as well as "challenging" art is not disqualified.

:P
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Dana

Why don't we just call it all music and have done with it? :)

listener

How might this differ from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky  and Lt. Kije scores or Walton's Henry V or Bliss's Things to Come ?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

drogulus

Quote from: listener on November 05, 2009, 10:47:50 PM
How might this differ from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky  and Lt. Kije scores or Walton's Henry V or Bliss's Things to Come ?

These composers built their reputations in classical music first. Williams, Previn, and Herrman had to fight for recognition. It's changed somewhat, though, as film is now seen as the great 20th century popular art form. And the increasing recognition of popular musical forms as legitimate vehicles for art helps.

Quote from: Dana on November 05, 2009, 10:39:06 PM

If someone asks me if I like music I might say "I like some music". So, what kind do I like? It doesn't seem to me that "good" music is a kind in any useful sense. So, there will be categories. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

david johnson

star wars film music was written to fit the flicks, but its popularity among classical audiences shows, among other things, that it can be really fun to hear and should appear in the concert hall.

i also think orchestras in the usa should perform a sousa march on each concert.  :)

dj

drogulus

Quote from: david johnson on November 06, 2009, 12:09:18 AM
star wars film music was written to fit the flicks, but its popularity among classical audiences shows, among other things, that it can be really fun to hear and should appear in the concert hall.

i also think orchestras in the usa should perform a sousa march on each concert.  :)

dj

Art that's fun should be in there with the nonfun kind.

I also think John Williams is a terrific composer.

71 dB

Quote from: Dana on November 05, 2009, 10:39:06 PM

Yes. Why do we try to fit everything inside imaginary boxes? Many interesting and valuable things fall "between boxes".

Quote from: drogulus on November 06, 2009, 12:40:29 AM
I also think John Williams is a terrific composer.

Yes, a terrific composer of music for movies.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on November 06, 2009, 01:18:39 AM
Yes. Why do we try to fit everything inside imaginary boxes? Many interesting and valuable things fall "between boxes".

Yes, a terrific composer of music for movies.  0:)

Why do we try to fit everything inside imaginary boxes?  ;D

jochanaan

Since some of us are dissatisfied with the whole concept of "classical versus pop," I'd certainly say that the Star Wars soundtracks count as "classical music" if anything does. :)

I would go further and say that movies are the operas of our time.  Now THERE's a discussion for another thread! ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

CD

Identifying movie soundtracks as a part of the classical tradition seems a bit like the possibility of the U.S. admitting Puerto Rico to the union — it would be a state, but it would be the poorest state in the nation. Soundtracks are good for the purpose they serve.

Valentino

To me anything that's composed and written out for others to perform is "classical music".

But then again Gurn's "Classical corner" narrows the definition down a wee bit.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

drogulus

Quote from: Corey on November 06, 2009, 08:55:49 AM
Identifying movie soundtracks as a part of the classical tradition seems a bit like the possibility of the U.S. admitting Puerto Rico to the union — it would be a state, but it would be the poorest state in the nation. Soundtracks are good for the purpose they serve.

Yes, they are good for that purpose, but not always in a way that makes them unsuited for other purposes, including presentation in the concert hall. Some film music does meet this standard. Part of the problem with deciding this issue is that film scores are quite variable in their adaptability for use outside the film medium. While some film music may be excellent only within its context, other scores can be adapted to thrive in the larger world.

But even considering music only within its original context excellence can be recognized without the imputation of a lesser status, if only for the most worthy examples. Film music ought to be seen as an art form in its own right. We just have to get used to the idea, that's all.  :)

mahler10th

Quote from: jochanaan on November 06, 2009, 08:42:57 AM
Since some of us are dissatisfied with the whole concept of "classical versus pop," I'd certainly say that the Star Wars soundtracks count as "classical music" if anything does. :)

I would go further and say that movies are the operas of our time.  Now THERE's a discussion for another thread! ;D

"...movies are the operas of our time..."
This is exactly how I feel about it. 

jwinter

Personally, I'm thinking this is a no-brainer.  How is film music different from music written to accompany a ballet?  Or to accompany some other sort of live visual performance (think Handel's music for the royal fireworks)?  You can argue about the relative quality of pieces, of course, but I can't see how Williams' Imperial March is fundamentally more or less "classical" than, say, the William Tell overture.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

greg

Quote from: Corey on November 06, 2009, 08:55:49 AM
Nice!  :D

71 dB

I would go further and say that movies are the operas of our time.

Or operas were movies of pre-movie era. Operas and movies are audiovisual performances of stories. What shape and style these performances took/take is a matter of available resources, artistic choices of the makers and preferences of the audience.

Star Wars is often called a space opera. How convenient in this discussion!  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Frellie

I would go further and say that movies are the operas of our time.  Now THERE's a discussion for another thread! ;D

Oh, don't go there!  :o

If anything, musicals would be the operas of our time. Provided, of course, that the actual operas of our time aren't themselves the operas of our time anymore...  ;)

Movies, then, are the digital equivalent of plays. So the Peer Gynt music by Grieg, for example, is the forerunner of the modern soundtrack, since it was actually performed during a play.

By the way, I thought 'classical music' is the expression Mr. John Doe uses whenever he hears strings. Apart from that, I've no idea what it means.

But if you mean 'art music', than I can't really see how Star Wars tunes could fit the description.