Does Star Wars soundtrack count as classical music?

Started by paganinio, November 05, 2009, 08:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Wars music = classical music?

No
Yes

HIPster

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

jochanaan

Imagination + discipline = creativity

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: jochanaan on February 11, 2016, 03:58:52 PM
I do!  It appears that Mr. Williams can indeed write good "classical" music. ;D

I'd agree it falls under the heading of "classical," and yes, he can put together a decent musical argument. But to me the whole thing sounded generic, unoriginal, and dull.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on February 15, 2016, 04:48:33 AM
I'd agree it falls under the heading of "classical," and yes, he can put together a decent musical argument. But to me the whole thing sounded generic, unoriginal, and dull.

From this discussion (I have not heard the piece, and do not have an opinion) I wonder, had the piece been written by anyone not named John Williams, would it ever have been performed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: karlhenning on February 15, 2016, 05:06:00 AM
From this discussion (I have not heard the piece, and do not have an opinion) I wonder, had the piece been written by anyone not named John Williams, would it ever have been performed.

I can't deny I felt the same way, Karl. Reminds me of a couple of plays I saw by the actor Jesse Eisenberg. No doubt he's a brilliant actor - his portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in "The Social Network" was a cinema classic in capturing a sociopathic entrepreneur - but both of his plays (in which he also acted) were savaged by the critics, and I thought with justice. Even though he somehow got Vanessa Redgrave to co-star with him, I thought he too was given much more of an opportunity than he would have had as an unknown. And would I have gone had it not been for the name?

relm1

Quote from: karlhenning on February 15, 2016, 05:06:00 AM

Interesting counterpoint to my point that JW is unfairly disliked in concert halls because of his popularity. 

Sergeant Rock

More proof that some film soundtracks are classical music? The Cleveland Orchestra will play Herrmann's Psycho in a series of concerts next January at Severance Hall (James Gaffigan conducting):

HERRMANN - Suite from Psycho
GERSHWIN - Rhapsody in Blue
BARTÓK - Concerto for Orchestra

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 07, 2016, 08:21:50 AM
More proof that some film soundtracks are classical music? The Cleveland Orchestra will play Herrmann's Psycho in a series of concerts next January at Severance Hall (James Gaffigan conducting):

Sarge

Very nice!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 07, 2016, 08:21:50 AM

Sarge

How is that "proof"?

If James programmed a "suite" from the latest album from Lady Gaga, would Lady Gaga also be classical music?

James

Action is the only truth