Pierrot Lunaire by Schoenberg

Started by Haffner, June 12, 2007, 05:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Just noticed one of my favorite PL's is available as an Arkiv "on demand".

Atherton/Thomas.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

not edward

Quote from: donwyn on February 08, 2008, 07:50:55 PM

Atherton/Thomas.

That's a good disc. I very much like the performance of Serenade on it as well.

I don't have it any more: it was stolen from me in a breakin several years ago and I've never seen it at a decent price since then. (Oh, the joys of searching for OOP discs.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

longears

Quote from: edward on February 09, 2008, 05:27:17 AM
I don't have it any more: it was stolen from me in a breakin several years ago....
I have to ask: What else was taken? (I'm imagining a couple of runny nosed junkies scratching themselves as they paw through your CD collection.  One of them finds the PL and holds it overhead triumpantly.  "Score!" he says.)

Steve

Quote from: donwyn on February 08, 2008, 07:50:55 PM

Atherton/Thomas.

Have any idea where I might purchase a copy?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Steve on February 09, 2008, 06:12:49 PM
Have any idea where I might purchase a copy?

I knew I forgot something...

Here's the link to Arkivmusic.

:)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: edward on February 09, 2008, 05:27:17 AM
That's a good disc. I very much like the performance of Serenade on it as well.

Yes, the Serenade is a wonderful bonus...

QuoteI don't have it any more: it was stolen from me in a breakin several years ago...

>:(

mjwal

A little interim PS to this discussion: I have been fortunate enough to experience PL several times in concert, and the most remarkable was a performance by Cathy Berberian in three languages: the original French, German, and English (her own translation, I believe, as she translated Brecht/Weill so brilliantly). It was strange, sleazy, scary, charming...(you complete the series) in a word, wow. Later the Theater am Turm in Frankfurt offered an LP of this performance (it was in the 70s, and she did several concerts there); I was poor and thought, I can get it later...Now you can't get it for love or money, groan. While I'm on the subject of MagniCathy, her live concert of songs our great-grannies loved (or something, you know, music hall, salon & Clara Butt material) must soon be issued on CD, OR ELSE!
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Carlo Gesualdo

I use to dislike this work at best at worst hate it, but now I'm hook on this LP version by Boulez.

The narration is perfect, the music is somehow Jazzy in a way, the ambiance is warm and starling mysterious, before having a good or fairly god usb  LP player I did not appreciate this work, now it has become a favorite, don't know why it just happen.

It's moody for sure, very pleasant, butt please listen to this on a pick-up table and a Pierre Boulez version, he really understood what Schoenberg try to do, the instrumentation is sublime & top notch, It has many spin on my player, someone mention me if I like Le pierrot lunaire opus.21 I might like le marteau sans maitre  from Boulez, that it's like le pierrot  a kind.

Anymore subjection about similar work I'm hook for good!

Anyone listen to this work everyday has a routine, to ease you're mind and relaxed.

Karl Henning

Nitpicky detail: It's actually Opus 21. Schoenberg being a bit fixated on numbers. The Opus number coincides with the 21 Giraud poems comprising the cycle.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Carlo Gesualdo

You're right sir , My memory fault a bit, but beside this I think friend you're a Schoenberg fan of this work he Like is orchestral song too, I mean Schoenberg I dont like everything he did but some work are fantastic and full of fantasy, it make someone loose himself in the music for a while , forget about minus stress.

Karl Henning

Quote from: deprofundis on January 16, 2020, 06:51:34 PM
You're right sir , My memory fault a bit, but beside this I think friend you're a Schoenberg fan of this work he Like is orchestral song too, I mean Schoenberg I dont like everything he did but some work are fantastic and full of fantasy, it make someone loose himself in the music for a while , forget about minus stress.
Very good. I'll seek out one of my Pierrots in the morning!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot