Prokofiev piano concertos and ballets

Started by Expresso, November 09, 2009, 07:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expresso

I would like some recommendations on his piano concertos and his ballets. If possible on budget price, but not solely on that criterion.

What about these:

George

bhodges

Can't weigh in on the first three, but the Maazel/Cleveland Romeo and Juliet is regarded by some as not only the finest version of that piece, but one of the finest recordings ever made.  I'm not a huge fan of the work itself (despite being a huge Prokofiev fan), but I agree: it's an amazing recording.

--Bruce

karlhenning

I have both those sets of the concerti, and recommend them both.

DarkAngel

That Maazel/Decca complete Romeo & Juliet is excellent in both performance and sound, but the very best I have heard is Gergiev/Phillips.....

Despite the fact that Kirov is not an elite orchestra this version depicts the dance elements with dramatic intensity and lifted rythms, rousing success with great sound, and my reference version.

The Brilliant boxset is Andre Previn's work, not in the same league as Maazel or Gergiev for me, doesn't cost much more to get the very best ever made

Cinderella is a less interesting work, of the few complete versions available Ashkenazy/Decca is still the best.........

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 09, 2009, 06:04:51 PM
...but the very best [R & J] I have heard is Gergiev/Phillips.....

Heartily second this.

QuoteCinderella is a less interesting work, of the few complete versions available Ashkenazy/Decca is still the best.........

Cinderella is actually quite an interesting work - at least I've always thought so. The reason for your apathy might lie at the feet of Ashkenazy (I have his recording, too). To me both Pletnev (first choice) and Rozhdestvensky (highlights) make superior cases for this work:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DarkAngel

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 09, 2009, 06:44:42 PM
Cinderella is actually quite an interesting work - at least I've always thought so. The reason for your apathy might lie at the feet of Ashkenazy (I have his recording, too). To me both Pletnev (first choice) and Rozhdestvensky (highlights) make a superior case for this work:

DD
Thanks for the heads up, order placed for used Pletnev/DG Cinderella........I forgot about this version and do not own it
There are many interesting memorable sections in Cinderella, just in comparison to R & J not quite as memorable overall.

I said in another thread I wish Chandos would collect all the Jarvi Prokofiev dance music together in one boxset, there is a ton of great obscure stuff but spread out randomly over many many Cds

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 09, 2009, 06:58:59 PM
DD
Thanks for the heads up, order placed for used Pletnev/DG Cinderella........I forgot about this version and do not own it

Cool. Good luck with that!
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mr. Darcy

I'll keep trying, but I've never been a huge Prokofiev fan (especially the ballet music), but these budget discs are excellent (IMO):

Dancing Divertimentian

Not to forget some of the lesser-known ballets: Chout, The Stone Flower, The Prodigal Son, Le Pas d'Acier.

These works might not belt it out like Romeo and Juliet but they're top flight listening experiences in their own right.

Rozhdestvensky (Melodiya/MHS) is wonderful in Le Pas d'Acier while Jurowski does extraordinary things in his series on CPO.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mr. Darcy on November 09, 2009, 07:13:57 PM
I'll keep trying, but I've never been a huge Prokofiev fan (especially the ballet music), but these budget discs are excellent (IMO):

Don't go budget...for the piano concertos go red carpet all the way:

Timmyb

I have the Maazel ballet and Beroff concertos.The Maazel is truly excellent, the Beroff is good but not great in my opinion although a lot of people rate it highly.
Here's a couple more recommendations.

MichaelRabin

The Maazel R&J is excellent in all respects and my CD copy has been autographed by maestro Maazel himself!

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on November 09, 2009, 07:57:31 AM
Can't weigh in on the first three, but the Maazel/Cleveland Romeo and Juliet is regarded by some as not only the finest version of that piece, but one of the finest recordings ever made.  I'm not a huge fan of the work itself (despite being a huge Prokofiev fan), but I agree: it's an amazing recording.

Every now and again, I figure I should check that one out, Bruce.

Benji

Quote from: ^ on November 12, 2009, 06:27:17 AM

Every now and again, I figure I should check that one out, Bruce.

Do it - it's spectacular! They are selling it in my local HMV for £4. Bargain of the year I think.

Another vote for the Beroff set too, always happy to recommend that beauty. And also for the Pletnev Cinderella, which is also a spectacular performance and recording.

The Previn/LSO set has some great highlights in both ballets, and it's generally very warmly interpreted which I find very agreeable for both works, being essentially romantic.

In R&J specifically; however, I find the playing of the LSO is a bit iffy in places whereas the Clevelanders don't put a foot wrong and have ideal sound. But then Maazel is, compared to Previn, a bit clinical. This is why I keep both in my collection. I'm keen to get a copy of Gergiev's interpretation - just waiting to see it at a price I can justify.

IMHO Pletnev is the clear choice for Cinderella. I got rid of Ashkenazy, not being entirely convinced. I keep the Previn, again because I sometimes like to hear it 'warmed up' a tad.

I'm so glad we're spoilt for choice with Prokofiev, really.  :)

bhodges

Quote from: Benji on November 12, 2009, 08:30:48 AM

I'm so glad we're spoilt for choice with Prokofiev, really.  :)

Isn't that the truth!  8)

--Bruce

Brahmsian

I thoroughly enjoy the Paavo Jarvi w/Cincinnati SO Telarc recording of the Romeo & Juliet suites.  I listen to it frequently!  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Timmyb on November 10, 2009, 01:17:37 PM

This might be a dark horse recording but I agree it's marvelous. Interestingly I find the Boston Symphony to be really in tune with Prokofiev's unique aesthetic, not just here but in the piano concertos and symphonies as well (with Leinsdorf). It's almost as if the orchestra enjoys the music so much it performs at peak level no matter who's conducting.

greg

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 09, 2009, 07:29:14 PM

Rare disc, isn't it?
Reminds me... it's been too long since I've listened to that one...