Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

A couple of dreams I've had lately.....

a few weeks ago- the first part was kinda dumb, but it had to do with me missing out on the big fight last year at school which made the newspaper. What really happened in real life was that I was just absent from school, but in the dream, I was with my friend about to find a place to sit and eat lunch. We were about to go outside and saw the police and there was a big scandal, so we didn't go outside and that was pretty much it.
The second part is one of the strangest ideas I've ever had, and never could've (or would have reason to) think of it. I was at my old neighborhood (the one i used to live in 3 months ago), outside standing on the sidewalk. I look up and see this black spaceship-looking thing floating above the houses. It has this long black chord with a small platform at the end which was touching the ground. Some of the kids my age who were my neighbors stepped outside, and it went from house to house, lifting them up from the platform into the spaceship-thing one at a time. I was (this word is so cheesy, but it's the first thing that came to mind) flabbergasted. (The spaceship-things looked like those things on the video game Beyond Good and Evil that magnetically pick you up and drop you off when you're entering an off-limits zone in your boat.) The next day, I hear on the news that the government secretly sent out those things to pick up young people for the draft! I was glad I avoided those things and didn't step on the platform. There was a lot of arguing since a lot of people didn't approve of the draft, and i was hoping they would completely stop it.

A couple of days ago, I had a very disturbing dream. It might sound funny, but it didn't feel funny at all. I dreamed that my little brother killed a friend with his fingernail. Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous, isn't it, lol? I didn't actually see the crime, and the events are kinda fuzzy. In real life I used to pick him up for at the bus stop and he'd be the only kid there. I did that for about 2 weeks off and on until 2 weeks ago or so, when summer break started. I think in the dream, what happened was that I picked him up and asked him, "you killed a kid on the bus with your fingernail?" He said he did, and we were both extremely sad and couldn't believe it because it was something that never could've happened. Then we wondered what would happen. The whole thing was really tragic, like Pettersson-type tragic.

I've had a lot of dreams lately that I can't remember, that are vague and abstract. There were a few which involved lions chasing me. There were some where I'm riding something like a car (i can never see it) and go on the strangest ride, through world that look like a mixture between video games I haven't played in forever and real-life streets. And it's really fast, too, and frightening. Maybe these types of dreams are modeled after theme park rides and mixed with extra stuff?

Another frightening dream that I've had lately (and probably has recurred a few times, it really seems it has) is that I'm in the hallway of my old school and the whole building falls down flat just like a book falling on a shelf. Then the fire alarm goes off, red emergency lights flash everywhere and I'm stuck running around trying to find the right staircase. Usually when I dream about school, though, I keep on dreaming that I'm trespassing by going back with everyone even though I've already graduated. Then I have the awful feeling I'm not wanted and I try to avoid all the grownups so I won't get caught and find my old friends. I think the interpretation of this dream is way, way, way, too obvious. Perfect, easy example for Freudian dream analysis. I dream of old friends way too much, maybe once every other night. Especially one of my friends who moved away in less than a week's notice (he didn't even say anything, i asked him about it) about 4 years ago. I found his myspace page a few months ago and sent him a message, but he hasn't logged on in over a year. I've had a few dreams where I'm at this school that is like a vague model of my high school I went to from 9th to 11th grade. Then I enter in a classroom and I see him in the same class and I'm really happy, though I can't remember if we ever talk. In a similar dream I'm at my desk in a class, and the whole direction of the class is moved from straight ahead to the right, for no reason. Then where the teacher and chalkboard is supposed to be, there's a glass window that covers the whole wall. We're all looking out and we see a different part of the street that the school is on, as if the school teleported from its normal area to another. Then I get really, really frustrated and disappointed because nothing is happening. I'm sitting by someone and we're not talking. I was hoping for excitement and nothing! Lol, I just realized the glass window part I got from when I used to ride the bus and look out the window all the time. I did that for most of the first two years in high school if there was no one interesting to talk to, which was often. Then the last two, I basically owned my seat. I'd lay down in it and by then everyone recognized it was my seat (espeically as a Senior) so i got less people stealing it or asking to share it, hehehe.

(I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason with how and when the subconcious chooses to relive experiences and mix them up with random symbols and other stuff....)

So, everyone else, what have you all been dreaming about lately?

BachQ

Quote from: greg on June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM
I didn't actually see the crime, and the events are kinda fuzzy. *** what happened was that I picked him up and asked him, "you killed a kid on the bus with your fingernail?" He said he did, and we were both extremely sad and couldn't believe it because it was something that never could've happened. Then we wondered what would happen. The whole thing was really tragic, like Pettersson-type tragic.

How do you know it was a "crime"?  It could have been accidental ....... or in self-defense ......... or the result of an irresistible impulse ......... or the product of overpowering insanity .........

greg

Quote from: D Minor on June 12, 2007, 06:35:36 AM
or the result of an irresistible impulse ......... or the product of overpowering insanity .........
yeah, i knew somehow that it was this- but these would still be considered crimes  ;D

Mozart

Last night I had an awesome dream! I saw the back of my eyelids for 7 hours!

greg

Quote from: Mozart on June 12, 2007, 01:29:56 PM
Last night I had an awesome dream! I saw the back of my eyelids for 7 hours!
you need to learn how to remember your dreams......

or maybe you just dream like a blind man, that is, with no pictures.

Sergeant Rock

I can't post my dreams. Uffeviking would have me banned  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

greg

some dreams might be better off unposted  ;D

Philoctetes

Mozart

Quote from: greg on June 12, 2007, 02:48:18 PM
you need to learn how to remember your dreams......

or maybe you just dream like a blind man, that is, with no pictures.

No, I just waste my dreams while Im awake.

Kullervo

The last one I had took place within an old castle wall. I was running very fast after someone who I remember wanting to kill. For some reason the scope of my vision included gun sights.

oyasumi

人生は一瞬の夢に過ぎない

greg

Quote from: oyasumi on June 13, 2007, 09:31:16 AM
人生は一瞬の夢に過ぎない
huh... sounds like some saying, did you make that up or not?

greg

oh..... wait, i thought about it and see what you're saying.
"Life Is Just a Dream", right?

the 一瞬のpart kinda threw me off, if you translated that literally in English, it would mess up the whole expression.

greg

Last night, I watched this feature on Oprah (yeah, Oprah, lol) right before going to bed. They had a discussion about misogyny and all the bad stuff in rap and hip hop, and how to go about helping it go into a good direction. A couple of hip-hop guys were there, but they were some of the good guys who don't fall into want the public wants with all of the profanity and stuff.
So......

My dream last night I can divide into 3 parts:
1) there's a couple of rappers that visit the house and we let them stay for awhile even though we're kinda nervous about them. Where this idea came from is obvious, since I just watched a show on rappers. But they're cool, and we let them go out but......

2) we look out the window and some of the wildest stormy clouds accumulate and make movements that are just out-of-this-world scary. So we decide to stay in. The connection here, I just thought of it a while ago, was when I looked outside the window a couple of days ago and saw these storm clouds and lighting that was just crazy-looking.

3) i end up going upstairs (even though my house has no upstairs) to a hotel. I see my little brother in front of me and i feel something bad is going to happen. I don't know what, that part was hard to remember, and it was the end. The connection I made while thinking today was that it actually did remind me of this scene from "The Shining" where the little kid is in the hallway. A few weeks ago, I watched that scene because I wanted to hear Penderecki's De Natura Sonoris #1 in the movie (i have never see the whole movie). The dream was like a nightmare scene, just like the movie, and the "camera angle" was the same, too.

A few more thoughts in a second......

greg

That dream I just had is like a descent back into time, like a time machine.
Part 1) was just a few hours before sleeping, 2) was a few days, and 3) was a few weeks.

I think the way dreaming works is very similar to anything creative. Being creative means taking what you already know and then mixing it up to create something totally new. In music, this means making new music, in art it means making a new picture/sculpture/whatever, etc.

There's actually two types of composing. 1) Improvisation. 2) Improvisation , but written down so you can make adjustments to anything. Classical music is composed using 2). Stuff like jazz or rock soloing is 1). Dreams are like 1) except they can involve to make a story, and for most people it's usually just the visual, by far the most dominant. For blind people, it'll be the auditory- their dreams might just be sounds, or the sense of touch, like they're touching the walls.

So, when I'm composing, playing the guitar or piano, to be the most succesful, you have to be in sort of a dream-like state. You have to let the right side (subconscious) part of your mind loose so you can recall anything you've learned, even if it was something long ago. The reason for this is that this part of the brain has way better memory, and you can access it's powerful memory if you're in a certain state of mind. But you also have to use the left side of you brain for certain things, such as knowing if it's possible to even play the thing or not  ;D.

One question I want answered is this: in my dream, when I looked out of the window and noticed it raining, it made me say, "well, looks like you guys are going to have to stay here." Is this evidence of the conscious, logical mind? If it's raining, they have to stay here. Sounds like a math problem. 2 + 2 = 4. But could this also be the subconscious mind's reasoning? It's almost instinctual to stay inside when it rains, so in a way it's too simple to be reasoning/logical/left brain. To me, this seems like evidence that the left brain is working in a small part, similar to how it does when you're composing.

Freud theorized that there's a force that "distorts" the dream, which is just an expression of a wish. I think this force is the left brain- he might've said that, I can't remember though. If you dream of stripping in public and you want to, sometimes the left brain might be on and you'll reason that that wouldn't be a good thing to do, right?

And when Freud says that dreaming is an expression of a wish..... i wonder if it's more like a release of creative energy or just a release of memory. i'll do some more thinking......

Sean

I'm listening to Martinu's Julietta at present, an opera set in a dream that Julietta's suitor Michel has: the dramatic movement is very dreamlike indeed with rather accurate wild shifts of the meaning and logic of things- most of it indeed seems to be just absolute chaos and goodness knows what the audience would make of a production. Though Michel becomes aware that he's stuck in a dream his frustrated obsession to find Julietta becomes total and he chooses to remain lost in it rather than to wake and face reality.

I think there's something deep going on here. I haven't worked out exactly what, perhaps to do with setting out on the wrong footing and holding on to it even as his girl and common sense eludes him, but it seems to sum up my own love-life...

greg

Sean, what's up man?!
we were just saying talking about how you probably de-registered again to go lady-hunting  ;D.
(actually, i used the term "booty hunting"..... er, cuz you're a pirate  ;)).

that sounds like an interesting opera! Never even heard of it until now.

Sean

Hi greg. Well the infamous M forever made a reappearence so I wanted to reply to his interesting thread. I'm off to a place in Italy on Sunday though where I'm told there's only the occasional net-cafes, and indeed hopefully ladies will distract me from the dumb thing altogether.

Kullervo

I just woke up from a nap. During my nap, I dreamt that I took my roommate's cat to work, and had to get her back to the house quickly. When I arrived home, thunderclouds were looming over head, and it was sunset, so I decided to grab my camera and take photos. Before long, I ran into the house to take cover, and noticed a bright flash behind me. To my surprise, it wasn't lightning, but a rainbow that was unusually intense. Actually, the rainbow was so intense that it burned down a shed.  ???

Mark G. Simon

I have one frequently recurring dream -- at least it's the dream that I most frequently remember due to the fact that I dream it just before I wake up. In this dream I'm looking for a men's room, a toilet anywhere I can find it, because I have to pee something ferocious. The trouble is, everywhere I go, the john is either occupied, out of order, or it's filthy beyond belief. There's always some obstruction that keeps me from using this rest room. If I try to look for another one all I find is empty halls, or halls with ladies' rooms only, or I get detained by annoying people with trivial business for me to attend to so that I can't get away to resume my search, or I have to push my way through tremendous crowds only to find that the men's room on the other side is likewise occupied, out of order or filthy beyond belief.

Eventually, of couse, I wake up and invariably find that I really do have to pee something ferocious.