Fat Enders

Started by Dr. Dread, June 12, 2009, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 13, 2022, 10:43:09 PM
Ah all those over bred grass seeds that people never evolved to eat. You may be pleased to hear though that age in itself is not a problem - I will be 60 at the weekend.

It's good to hear you are 60. If you can do it, I can, right ;)
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jo498 on March 14, 2022, 12:24:57 AM
People did evolve during the last 6000 years... I think the blaming on grains is mostly a fad although lowering carbs (esp. highly processed carbs) seems to work for many people.
Your lifestyle does sound reasonably healthy, Mookafalas and I am in no way an expert. The main things I could think of are further reducing carbs (esp. anything sweet and alcohol), increase fibre and protein and add some higher intensity and/or strength exercise to the low intensity cardio. Unfortunately, there are some hereditary or other factors we can't do anything about. I have never smoked, drank very moderately, if at all, was mostly normal weight and reasonably fit (a few years slightly overweight, around 26-27 BMI) and I have had a hereditary problem with gout attacks since my early thirties and a (mild, manageable) coronary heart condition since my late 40s, so I have to take 5 different pills every day...

All good comments. I agree.
   My father always had a gut, and didn't do much exercise outside of mowing the lawn and such. Now he's 98, and doing OK (he has his own apartment, but in a retirement home).
   I actually have 6 years of off-and-on exercise journal. I read some of it. I got my weight down, but then would go on vacations--to foreign countries as well as from my diet--and put all the weight back on again. It was depressing reading. I also found I did the "eating window" thing, and got down to a 6 hour window for over a month, with little result. BUT, I wasn't doing any exercise at all. It seems that when I exercised AND did keto, I lost weight, sometimes dramatically. When more snow melts, I'll break out my bicycle. It is about 1 hour and 15 minutes to my office by bike. If I can do keto and do that bike ride, I should shed pounds like crazy. However, I'm not very disciplined, so the chances of me really doing that aren't too high... ::)
It's all good...

DavidW

I lost a huge amount of weight using WW.  But covid and associated quarantine hit and I gained half of it back.  After doing alot of reading and trying out different diets I had to realize that any diet that makes me give up foods I enjoy will never work in the long term.  I'm now just doing calorie counting, learning not to cut out foods but to simply eat less.  Weight loss is slow, but more sustainable.  I really think that people need to stop looking for the magic diet.  There is no one size fits all.  You need to figure out what you personally are doing wrong and target that.  It could be more exercise, cutting out junk food etc etc