Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Water pouring into the house from a hole in the wall (probably I needed to go to the loo). I was on the phone to my elderly auntie who died a couple of years ago aged 90. I told her that I needed to end the call to phone the plumber - but she refused to get off the phone and just carried on talking non-stop while the house filled up with water.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

greg

That does sound like a pee dream.  :D

I dreamed last night of taking to Pewdiepie and his wife Marzia on the phone. But I just remember the ending part, where I was talking only to her, so got much more interested than I should be. I was walking on the beach and commenting that there were over 3000 people for some event going on, that's almost like bringing a small town in. The asking if the word 'butte' is Swedish or German, so she said it means 'intestine.' Then dead silence for a bit and the dream ended.

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

steve ridgway

Wow you both had dreams of talking to women on the telephone :-\.

greg

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 19, 2020, 07:45:41 AM
Wow you both had dreams of talking to women on the telephone :-\.
:D

Didn't catch that, but yeah, that is funny.

vandermolen

Yes, but I was talking to my 90 year old auntie  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

A dream I haven't had before, where I was living in a city in an authoritarian foreign country. I was standing at the front of the building where I lived watching an enormous crowd who were marching to protest about something. The army turned up and mowed them down with machine guns, following and shooting them as they tried to run back. A few apparent plain clothes state security officers observing from the sides saw me but took no action. I wandered through the empty city, heading for the train station to leave and go back home.

greg

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 27, 2020, 08:11:02 PM
A dream I haven't had before, where I was living in a city in an authoritarian foreign country. I was standing at the front of the building where I lived watching an enormous crowd who were marching to protest about something. The army turned up and mowed them down with machine guns, following and shooting them as they tried to run back. A few apparent plain clothes state security officers observing from the sides saw me but took no action. I wandered through the empty city, heading for the train station to leave and go back home.
Doesn't sound so fun.  :-X

steve ridgway

This was unusual. I asked a woman going to a meeting with me what was in a canister like a fire extinguisher she was carrying. Turned out if the meeting went bad it was to inject into people so they'd die and could be replaced by duplicates stored in her truck :o.

Before that there was a period in a shopping mall pondering how to descend. The flights of steps turned abruptly into vertical drops and the fast moving escalators plummeted down through waterfalls. Someone near me got soaked trying and had to be hauled back out.

There was a nice bit earlier though where I lived in a really big house, so big I had a tree in my room :).

Karl Henning

Dreamt that one of my choir members has a composing prodigy of a son, and that we walked to Symphony Hall to hear the BSO play a Concerto for Orchestra written by the boy, and which was a piece I enjoyed very much. I was then at lunch with the conductor, and three other composers. On one hand, all the other composers spoke up first. On the other, after we got up from the table, I did at last have the conductor's ear, and he agreed to read my Symphony with the orchestra.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 17, 2020, 07:21:58 PM
Dreamt that one of my choir members has a composing prodigy of a son, and that we walked to Symphony Hall to hear the BSO play a Concerto for Orchestra written by the boy, and which was a piece I enjoyed very much. I was then at lunch with the conductor, and three other composers. On one hand, all the other composers spoke up first. On the other, after we got up from the table, I did at last have the conductor's ear, and he agreed to read my Symphony with the orchestra.
Too realistic, seems closer to something you'd just catch yourself wishing!  ;D

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 17, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
This was unusual. I asked a woman going to a meeting with me what was in a canister like a fire extinguisher she was carrying. Turned out if the meeting went bad it was to inject into people so they'd die and could be replaced by duplicates stored in her truck :o.

Before that there was a period in a shopping mall pondering how to descend. The flights of steps turned abruptly into vertical drops and the fast moving escalators plummeted down through waterfalls. Someone near me got soaked trying and had to be hauled back out.

There was a nice bit earlier though where I lived in a really big house, so big I had a tree in my room :).
This sort of stuff sounds more like something I'd dream.... seems like a "what if?" type of reimagining of the environment.

greg

Last two nights dreams of many different animals, but the only one from memory is seeing the "remains" of a dead snake. But the remains weren't really how you'd picture them, in fact, it was just fluids and ball-like flesh. I thought about owning a snake in the dream but figured it wasn't a good idea because they look like this when they die (IRL they don't, obviously) and also I wouldn't want to worry about it getting loose.

So I looked up the dream meaning of dead snakes.

Cherry picking a few things, but the same theme is shared among all the sources- a positive omen representing some triumph over something negative:

QuoteThe dead snake indicates that despite any problems you have in life you can combat and overcome the most adverse situations.
In ancient dream dictionaries, a dead snake is a positive omen, the snake itself represents rebirth in life.
There is a connection that the snake is associated with deception and there is a belief that the snake plays a prominent part in our subconscious mind.
A dead snake is a positive omen and indicates that you do not have to do worry too much about money.

If there is any meaning, it could be related in how I'm trying to get back into studying Japanese. Last week I was trying to get back into drawing, but it was just overwhelmingly hard, so after a week I had decided I can only focus on Japanese study, drawing, or both. I might have to postpone drawing practice for another few years, until I get good enough at Japanese (if I study consistently). I'd hate to think of drawing as a dead snake, but eh, whatever.  ::)

(just a thought, but I used to constantly have dreams of being in rooms completely covered with cockroaches and worms when younger, but that is rare now- wondering if there is some relation... either way, many of them would die because I'd step on them, but it was annoying to have to get through)

steve ridgway

Snakes grow by casting off their old skin which has come to restrict them. My Tarot book says the series of scorpion, snake and eagle has been known since Egyptian times as a series of transformations like that of the caterpillar to the butterfly, and that the curled snake is a symbol of the wisdom that comes through learning from experience.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: greg on September 11, 2020, 07:55:56 AM

If there is any meaning, it could be related in how I'm trying to get back into studying Japanese.

I recommend any books written by Donald Keene though they are not directly related to Japanese language.

greg

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 11, 2020, 09:01:46 PM
Snakes grow by casting off their old skin which has come to restrict them. My Tarot book says the series of scorpion, snake and eagle has been known since Egyptian times as a series of transformations like that of the caterpillar to the butterfly, and that the curled snake is a symbol of the wisdom that comes through learning from experience.
Yeah, the snake shedding skin would be a sign of rebirth or getting rid of something wearing you down. Seems pretty clear.

Also I was thinking today that throughout my life I have a pretty consistent pattern of in dreams being chased by something destructive and just letting it happen, being either slightly amused or apathetic. Which is not at all how I would feel IRL. This could be fun to think about... it could be a sign of being tired of having to help myself, and just wanting to not have to expend energy, even in the face of danger...

and the most common dream of going back to my childhood home I've read is a sign of wanting to return to a simpler time, which would 100% be a correct interpretation.

Putting it altogether, killing bugs (which are small annoyances), running from dangerous stuff, and escaping to simpler times. And meeting celebrities.

(probably should reread this thread though, 2007 is quite a ways back)

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 11, 2020, 09:22:11 PM
I recommend any books written by Donald Keene though they are not directly related to Japanese language.
Sure, will look him up.

71 dB

In my dream last night there was a large book (about 2 inches/ 5 cm thick) and it was made by an employer from all the job application material it had received for a job. So, my dream was some kind of symbolism about how so many people are applying to the same jobs and how hopeless it is to get a job...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on September 12, 2020, 05:08:48 AM
In my dream last night there was a large book (about 2 inches/ 5 cm thick) and it was made by an employer from all the job application material it had received for a job. So, my dream was some kind of symbolism about how so many people are applying to the same jobs and how hopeless it is to get a job...  :P
:-X
definitely have experienced that before...

Christo

I am one of those who - almost - never remember a dream, except for the fact that I had one.  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

71 dB

Quote from: Christo on September 12, 2020, 09:38:54 AM
I am one of those who - almost - never remember a dream, except for the fact that I had one.  ::)

Most of my dreams I don't remember, but sometimes I see so "vivid" dreams I remember them even after decades! It's as if those dreams were burned into my brain, part of me as a person.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on September 12, 2020, 11:34:29 AM
Most of my dreams I don't remember, but sometimes I see so "vivid" dreams I remember them even after decades! It's as if those dreams were burned into my brain, part of me as a person.
Yeah, same here. Ever have any dreams that seem so realistic that they seem more "real" than actual real life? I've had a few, though they are rare.

steve ridgway

Quote from: greg on September 12, 2020, 01:28:06 PM
Yeah, same here. Ever have any dreams that seem so realistic that they seem more "real" than actual real life? I've had a few, though they are rare.

Oh loads, one the other night where I opened what looked like a cupboard door only to discover a whole suite of furnished rooms with clothes, books and stuff that looked like it had been left in the 1930s, apart from it was all clean, no dust.

In terms of "real" you might like this one from a couple of weeks ago. There was a clear and relevant message in it but we needn't go into that. So one morning in real life I spilt an eggcup full of charcoal powder (used for cleaning teeth) in the empty bathroom washbasin which must have had a layer of coconut oil round it. In trying to wash the powder away it formed something like a black greasepaint which completely coated my hands and it took me five minutes of washing with warm soapy water to get it all off. On going downstairs I explained to my wife what had taken me so long, as she was all ready to go out with the dogs. And she was like "WTF I dreamed last night I'd spilt a toner cartridge which went all over my hands and turned them black!" :o. It's exactly the same stuff - powdered carbon. ???