Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greta

I'm not sure whether dreams "mean" anything really, I think they seem to be a fusing together of "leftovers" floating around in the brain...

For example, before I had the Boulez dream, I had been discussing with someone Boulez Mahler (though not the 9th? don't know where that came from), and then we are -surprise- at such a concert. So there is actually a method behind this madness.  ;D

And I do remember that prior to that dream with Hindemith, I had happened upon a clip on YouTube of him actually conducting, the CSO.

People think it is quite amusing I remember my dreams so well...but I can't help it....they are rather interesting!

Of course, you dream a lot and don't remember it, but a few I do remember that were very funny, music-related but yet, no music were: once I was somehow the person assigned to pick up and drive a guest performer to the rehearsal site, once I was a conductor's assistant of some sort (I was getting mail, which included very large scores? LOL), and once I was leaving a concert with friends, that was apparently fantastic (under Previn (?), no idea what orchestra or rep), we were walking out of some big silvery concert hall, into an equally silvery and futuristic downtown, some sort of cross between Seattle and Dallas way in the future...crazy, yes, I know. ;)

A question - has anyone had "lucid" dreams before?

That term refers to when you "realize" you're dreaming during the dream and suddenly can control the events. That is a VERY strange, and almost scary experience. It happened once to me after I had been in the hospital (thanks Vicodin!), in my dream I came "home" and uh, nothing around was quite "right", nothing looks like it was supposed to, I had siblings I don't really have, as soon as I set foot in the door, I *knew. So then I went on an exploration to see what was going on in this "parallel universe", it was all so odd and different... I got bored with that, I didn't like the parallel situation at all, and was almost afraid I couldn't end the dream and would be stuck there...so I had the bright idea to go upstairs and try to go to sleep in the dream, and perhaps I would wake up and things would be normal, and that is what happened.

I think now I can imagine how Alice felt....

For some of these vivid dreams I immediately wrote a journal to record the experience in as much detail as I could, as is sometimes suggested, but what is the point with that really except to go back and laugh at those later...they are completely outrageous!

greg

Quote from: Greta on December 27, 2007, 09:17:19 PM

For example, before I had the Boulez dream, I had been discussing with someone Boulez Mahler (though not the 9th? don't know where that came from), and then we are -surprise- at such a concert. So there is actually a method behind this madness.  ;D

the "last movement of the 9th" idea came from my mind..... since people with the same birthdays have vibrational fields in their brains that operate at the same speed and frequency, some ideas may be transmitted to one site of vibrational fields to another by the method of transvibrational teleportation. It's something 71db discovered with the help of my imaginary friend.  :)

I'm not sure whether dreams "mean" anything really, I think they seem to be a fusing together of "leftovers" floating around in the brain...

that's what it is basically, but the "rules" and probabililty of what happens is very complex. It's not 100% random or predictable...... as Freud noted once, there's almost always one thing in your dream that is from that day, and analyzing my own dreams, he's right on.
I think the greatest mystery is where the dream comes from in the first place.... close your eyes and right before you sleep you see a bunch of images, sounds, ideas floating around in your head randomly... then you get to sleep..... after awhile of nothing a dream may come into your mind. Where the beginning of the dream comes from is a mystery to me, but it's progress is more of a mix of rational thought and complete surprise. Perhaps it's only memorable if you have a balance of both?

A question - has anyone had "lucid" dreams before?

That term refers to when you "realize" you're dreaming during the dream and suddenly can control the events. That is a VERY strange, and almost scary experience. It happened once to me after I had been in the hospital (thanks Vicodin!), in my dream I came "home" and uh, nothing around was quite "right", nothing looks like it was supposed to, I had siblings I don't really have, as soon as I set foot in the door, I *knew. So then I went on an exploration to see what was going on in this "parallel universe", it was all so odd and different... I got bored with that, I didn't like the parallel situation at all, and was almost afraid I couldn't end the dream and would be stuck there...so I had the bright idea to go upstairs and try to go to sleep in the dream, and perhaps I would wake up and things would be normal, and that is what happened.

I think now I can imagine how Alice felt....

For some of these vivid dreams I immediately wrote a journal to record the experience in as much detail as I could, as is sometimes suggested, but what is the point with that really except to go back and laugh at those later...they are completely outrageous!
I've had lucid dreams before, a couple of times when i was a little (they're more common for kids), and a couple during a long period of trying to get lucid dreams.

a summary of what i mean by that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream#Reality_testing

but if Vicodin is what gave you that very strange lucid dream, i want some!  ;D
What'd seriously be great is if you could lucid dream for hours each night, it'd be like living in another world  0:) 0:) 0:)

BachQ

Greg,

Perhaps you should become a Wikipedia editor, so that you can help draft, edit and cleanup this article on The Art of Dreaming.

greg

it only has 4 of the '7 gates!'

too bad i don't know the rest...

BachQ

Last night, I dreamed that Greg, Karl and I were waiting for an outdoor performance of Mahler's 3d Symphony; while we were waiting: (1) Greg was busy picking up snacks; (2) Karl was yammering away about how he plans to spend his upcoming 2-week vacation; (3) A schoolgirl was doing perfect somersaults on the nearby lawn for our entertainment; (4) I was eating chocolate bars; and (5) the double-bass players were practicing the first movement.

greg

Quote from: D Minor on January 01, 2008, 09:43:54 AM
Last night, I dreamed that Greg, Karl and I were waiting for an outdoor performance of Mahler's 3d Symphony; while we were waiting: (1) Greg was busy picking up snacks; (2) Karl was yammering away about how he plans to spend his upcoming 2-week vacation; (3) A schoolgirl was doing perfect somersaults on the nearby lawn for our entertainment; (4) I was eating chocolate bars; and (5) the double-bass players were practicing the first movement.
now THAT is a fun dream!  0:)

the music didn't go very far, though, did it?

BachQ

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 01, 2008, 02:26:58 PM
now THAT is a fun dream!  0:)

?

It was a cool dream (you had to have been there  :P)).

Quotethe music didn't go very far, though, did it

No, the furthest we ever got into the music was the practicing by the bass players of the development section of the first movement (in d minor).  For about a half-hour, we waited for the music to begin ....... but alas .........

greg

i think the reason why it's so hard for people to play through music in their dreams is that music requires more left brain power than what you're normally using when you're asleep. The only music I hear when ever hear i'm asleep is stuff i put together myself, i guess musical ideas thrown around that are very familiar (right brain stuff that requires little thought). To actually replay something straight through in your mind, you'd have to be extremely familiar with it.
I guess the analytical section of the brain needs to sleep since it can get tired easily, while the subconscious, right-brain stuff never sleeps (it's like the heart, as long as it's on, you're alive)...

BachQ

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 01, 2008, 03:47:44 PM
To actually replay something straight through in your mind, you'd have to be extremely familiar with it.

Good point ...... with which I totally agree.  I usually only dream about music which I've studied and which has flooded both brain hemispheres repeatedly over the longterm .......

greg

may you dream about Brahms 1st PC tonight, Dm.....  0:)

may you dream about it......

NOW, dream about it, okay? I said, dream about it!!!!
are you dreaming yet?
then finish the Mahler 3......

I COMMAND YOU!  >:D

BachQ

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on January 02, 2008, 04:37:42 PM
may you dream about Brahms 1st PC tonight, Dm.....  0:)

I'm not familiar enought with Brahms' d minor piano concerto ......... Maybe when I become familiar with it, I will dream about it.

BTW, if you're into NIGHTMARE music,   >:D, I recommend some pre-bedtime Elgar ........ >:D

greg

last night among the many dreams i had, one idea really stood out. I dreamed of this "car" that really didn't look like a car, but it was like a car of the future. The whole body was just two very tall pieces of colored canvas (maybe 7' tall) that formed the sides. Then there were 2 seats, except they weren't really like seats- more like sheets from a folding chair, and you lay down in them. Then the car goes super fast, even though you're inches from the ground. It wouldn't be the safest car around  :D

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on January 29, 2008, 06:08:32 AM
last night among the many dreams i had, one idea really stood out. I dreamed of this "car" that really didn't look like a car, but it was like a car of the future. The whole body was just two very tall pieces of colored canvas (maybe 7' tall) that formed the sides. Then there were 2 seats, except they weren't really like seats- more like sheets from a folding chair, and you lay down in them. Then the car goes super fast, even though you're inches from the ground. It wouldn't be the safest car around  :D

This D kinda ties in with your D of Jonny Depp and the 3 'moster' guys.

cars are like symbols of your life force, your means of going along in your daily routine, the way your energy flows along. American indians and the huns dreamed of a  horse as their life chi, the old egyptians dreamed of camels or the welthier dreamed of chariots as their vehicle to get around in life. We moderns dream of cars.
Canvas, does not provide the kind of protection one needs to get through the hussels and bussels of lifes struggles.
7 foot tall, you may be expending too much energy, which is conserved and withdrawn may go to work on building a   better, more smaller yet sturdier car.
Folding beach chairs, 'life's a  beach", you are too chillin', need to begin seeing a  more responsible side to things.

Super fast/not the safest, lines up with the foregoing ideas. Conserve energy, allow the engery to sink back down and after some time, you may havea   new car.
Hopefully not a  ...YUGO :D
Worlds worst EVER car, broke down just after you pulled in your driveway from the dealership.

greg

Quote from: paulb on January 29, 2008, 07:31:39 AM
This D kinda ties in with your D of Jonny Depp and the 3 'moster' guys.

cars are like symbols of your life force, your means of going along in your daily routine, the way your energy flows along. American indians and the huns dreamed of a  horse as their life chi, the old egyptians dreamed of camels or the welthier dreamed of chariots as their vehicle to get around in life. We moderns dream of cars.
Canvas, does not provide the kind of protection one needs to get through the hussels and bussels of lifes struggles.
7 foot tall, you may be expending too much energy, which is conserved and withdrawn may go to work on building a   better, more smaller yet sturdier car.
Folding beach chairs, 'life's a  beach", you are too chillin', need to begin seeing a  more responsible side to things.

Super fast/not the safest, lines up with the foregoing ideas. Conserve energy, allow the engery to sink back down and after some time, you may havea   new car.
Hopefully not a  ...YUGO :D
Worlds worst EVER car, broke down just after you pulled in your driveway from the dealership.

gee....... that sounds an awful lot like a Jungian analysis  ;)

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on July 27, 2007, 10:48:54 AM
i had two dreams last night that i can remember..... the first one, i was in a concert watching some orchestra. George was in there, playing one of the instruments, but i don't remember which one. Then he had to sit down for the 3rd movement (he sat to the right of me) but I asked him, "what? you're done?" He told me "no, actually i have to go back for the last movement."  ???

The 2nd dream was just something else. It was basically a flying dream. I was walking along the street when I jumped and tried to fly. Surprised, I stayed in the air and told myself to keep at it. So then i jumped a few times in the air and eventually jumped probably a little further than i wanted to and could see the houses like they were dots- it was sorta like Google Earth. But it was totally satisfying because I knew i had achieved something which is humanly impossible.   8)

Again like the car goinng too fast, , you are not grounded enough, not necessarily  a   bad thing at certain times in your life , like Lao Tzu dreamed flying as a  butterfly , but lets leave the flying to Superman

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on January 29, 2008, 07:43:25 AM
gee....... that sounds an awful lot like a Jungian analysis  ;)

yes I follow Jung's studies.
Now where's that D of yours with Jonny Depp and the "3 monsters"?
Johhny Depp, your principle main function.
3 "monsters", 3 under-developed functions. Which in your case as 'monsters" mean these 3 functions are now screaming at you for attention. They are getting ugly.
Jung in not well like around these parts(GMG intellectuals), nor in academic "circles".

ChamberNut

My dream is to bring paulb to an "all Schumann" concert.

First half

Schumann - Piano Concerto in A minor

Second half

Schumann - Symphony No. 2

Encore

;D

paulb

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 29, 2008, 08:02:36 AM
My dream is to bring paulb to an "all Schumann" concert.

First half

Second half

Schumann - Symphony No. 2

Encore

;D

>:(

What would really be a  nightmare for me, if I had a  D of being at a all Beethoven concert, and i was chained down in my chair. :o

BorisG

Dreams? I am still on this one. :P

Kullervo

My dreams as of late have all involved driving somehow.  ???