Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb

Quote from: Corey on January 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM
My dreams as of late have all involved driving somehow.  ???

Repetative D's are trying to a  message across.
Try to take a  note down on your next driving D. maybe we can see something.
...Jordache makes the nicest jeans, #1 jeans  ;)

greg

Quote from: paulb on January 29, 2008, 07:59:50 AM
yes I follow Jung's studies.
Now where's that D of yours with Jonny Depp and the "3 monsters"?
Johhny Depp, your principle main function.
3 "monsters", 3 under-developed functions. Which in your case as 'monsters" mean these 3 functions are now screaming at you for attention. They are getting ugly.
Jung in not well like around these parts(GMG intellectuals), nor in academic "circles".

i appreciate you trying to do a dream analysis, Paul, but the only one who can do a nearly worty analysis of a dream is the (informed) dreamer themselves (or a person who asks the dreamer many questions).
i have so many thoughts about how dreams work, but as usual it's hard to organize them. just a minute, i need to think.......

Quote from: Corey on January 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM
My dreams as of late have all involved driving somehow.  ???
:D

greg

Paul, I used to read this one book by Freud (the dream book he wrote, "The Interpretation of Dreams"), and at first i agreed with his theory "Dreams are a representation of repressed wishes that may be distorted"...... he also notes there's a factor in memory, almost always something about the day before is in the dream. I've found that to be true. But...... it's still lacking.

(btw, i haven't read Jung's books, just read about his theories.... i do think that many things could complement Freud's theories, more like an elaboration)

When I close my eyes and stop thinking, images form and pictures i never could have thought of with an active mind appear- you know what i'm talking about, right? (the drifting off to sleep phase)

Compare the left side of your brain to your body. Compare the right side of your brain to your heart, lungs.
Left side/body is the part that sleeps (although sometimes you DO move around- and also, sometimes you do use the left side of your brain in dreams, ever try to question something in your dream/rationalize? It's not usual, but sometimes happens).
Right side/heart/lungs is the part that never sleeps, it means you're alive instead of dead.

So, what is likely to happen with all of this activity in only one part of your brain?
An analogy that makes sense to me is comparing real life to performing music- when you're asleep, it's like improvising (limited amounts of stepping back and pondering decisions, just going with whatever comes out)- when you're awake, it's like composing- a mix of improvising and logical thought.

greg

and i would like to add, the car dream has something to do with my new car. It's low to the ground and not very safe (though i really like it). Runs smooth, too. The canvas sides, though, i don't get....

Kullervo

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on January 30, 2008, 07:04:38 AM
and i would like to add, the car dream has something to do with my new car. It's low to the ground and not very safe (though i really like it). Runs smooth, too. The canvas sides, though, i don't get....

Maybe you've watched too many Discovery Channel "In the future everything will be made of recycled material" shows.

greg

Quote from: Corey on January 30, 2008, 08:44:48 AM
Maybe you've watched too many Discovery Channel "In the future everything will be made of recycled material" shows.
hehe, i don't get that channel.

greg

and the dream with Johnny Depp and the 3 monsters, i could sort of put together. But it's neither an exciting or interesting interpretation, just has to do with memory.  :P

greg

last night, i dreamed of being in Wal-Mart and talking to the ghost of Schoenberg.  :o

Except, at first, he was in human form..... but then i thought "wait a second, he's been dead for many years", so then he was in ghost form. Wild how you can go through that and not even realise you're dreaming!

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 05, 2008, 10:17:58 AM
last night, i dreamed of being in Wal-Mart and talking to the ghost of Schoenberg.  :o

Except, at first, he was in human form..... but then i thought "wait a second, he's been dead for many years", so then he was in ghost form. Wild how you can go through that and not even realise you're dreaming!

amazing how your D continue with the same theme.
keep em comming, I'm learning and you are teaching.

greg

Quote from: paulb on February 05, 2008, 10:22:06 AM
amazing how your D continue with the same theme.
keep em comming, I'm learning and you are teaching.
a similar theme, really?

i don't have an analysis or explanation of this one, so i'm wondering what theme you might be thinking of.

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 05, 2008, 10:26:36 AM
a similar theme, really?

i don't have an analysis or explanation of this one, so i'm wondering what theme you might be thinking of.

why don't you back over some of the ideas i gave you before.
pick through it, if anything clicks, good, if not, garbage it.

greg

Quote from: paulb on February 05, 2008, 11:03:47 AM
why don't you back over some of the ideas i gave you before.
pick through it, if anything clicks, good, if not, garbage it.
the speed thing clicks, maybe speed of thought? racing mind sometimes?

the Beethoven thing clicks also, that would be a nightmare to sit through an entire Beethoven concert, strapped to a chair  :D

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 05, 2008, 11:07:19 AM
the speed thing clicks, maybe speed of thought? racing mind sometimes?

the Beethoven thing clicks also, that would be a nightmare to sit through an entire Beethoven concert, strapped to a chair  :D

Yes you are onto something.
btw I should say i know a  bit of schonberg's personality from a rare book I skimmed through, a  publication from the Schonberg Foundation in southern california, edited by his daughter. had letters, rare quotes, got inside his mind. I came across the book a  few weeks before K struck, now its lost forever. I'm sure other music libraries havea   copy.
So that helps in gathering insight into just why its Schonberg that enters your D. Also there is a  graet post on the 'chameleon like" career of his music. He offers a  wide range of musical ideas.
All these things help go into determining why it was Schonberg in your D and no other.
Thats how Jung works out his D analysis, from a  very broad perspective, which is something  I'm short on.  Anyway i don't want to go futher, as you did not seem too keen on accepting  about my other ideas.
Which is why i'm letting you make the stabs.

Racing mind. Only you would know.

MN Dave

In the words of my little niece:

"I have a shweam!"

greg

Quote from: paulb on February 05, 2008, 11:50:31 AM
Yes you are onto something.
btw I should say i know a  bit of schonberg's personality from a rare book I skimmed through, a  publication from the Schonberg Foundation in southern california, edited by his daughter. had letters, rare quotes, got inside his mind. I came across the book a  few weeks before K struck, now its lost forever. I'm sure other music libraries havea   copy.
So that helps in gathering insight into just why its Schonberg that enters your D. Also there is a  graet post on the 'chameleon like" career of his music. He offers a  wide range of musical ideas.
All these things help go into determining why it was Schonberg in your D and no other.
Thats how Jung works out his D analysis, from a  very broad perspective, which is something  I'm short on.  Anyway i don't want to go futher, as you did not seem too keen on accepting  about my other ideas.
Which is why i'm letting you make the stabs.
interesting....

Quote from: paulb on February 05, 2008, 11:50:31 AM
Racing mind. Only you would know.

not to mention, the same night i had several other dreams which some i can remember, some i can't..... mostly short, going from one thing to something else completely unrelated (or more likely, just hard to remember any connections).

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 05, 2008, 12:07:21 PM
interesting....

not to mention, the same night i had several other dreams which some i can remember, some i can't..... mostly short, going from one thing to something else completely unrelated (or more likely, just hard to remember any connections).

That excellent book on schonberg was at Tulane's library. A most facinating man, but typical of most composers, not easy to get acquainted with. . Prokofiev tops the list.
So knowing something of schonberg's character may open a  clue to your D.
Now what did i say before. You have one main function over-riding, over shadowing your other 3, but to a  grevious extent. Which is whY i said that schonberg showing up in your D makes sense, and then changes  to ghost form, really driving the point home.
IOW you have such doubts, or you just don't believe in this theory,  , or lets be fair and say you failed to understand your pervious dreams, and so the previous message that that your main function is so over-ruling your conscious so as to pose as a  danger if continued,  so now the main function becomes even more of a  controling factor, a  ghost.  Now you are eally haunted.
No need to fret that you need an excorcisim ;D.

BachQ

Quote from: paulb on February 05, 2008, 12:51:44 PM
Prokofiev tops the list.

What does this mean?

Now what did i say before. You have one main function over-riding, over shadowing your other 3, but to a  grevious extent. Which is whY i said that schonberg showing up in your D makes sense, and then changes  to ghost form, really driving the point home.

Is it so difficult to spell out the word DREAM?

paulb

Quote from: Dm on February 05, 2008, 12:58:23 PM
What does this mean?

Is it so difficult to spell out the word DREAM?
dream dream dream
Meaning that Prokofiev had a  few hangups. Nothing personal. btw i love his music so is really no concern how he was in life. Do you know the story of how Shostakovich felt about Prokofiev? I can't recall exactly how it went, maybe someone else can post a  note. He was an odd  fellow.

greg

That excellent book on schonberg was at Tulane's library. A most facinating man, but typical of most composers, not easy to get acquainted with. . Prokofiev tops the list.
IOW you have such doubts, or you just don't believe in this theory,  , or lets be fair and say you failed to understand your pervious dreams, and so the previous message that that your main function is so over-ruling your conscious so as to pose as a  danger if continued,  so now the main function becomes even more of a  controling factor, a  ghost.  Now you are eally haunted.
No need to fret that you need an excorcisim ;D.

hmmmmmm what is "main function?"

when i analyze dreams, i like to consider the 3 things that are most prevalent:
1. vision/pictures
2. emotion
3. sound

beyond that, sense of smell, touch, taste are very rare......
in my analysis, i try to relate each one to waking thoughts/events that usually happen the day before, and then are transformed into a story by means of subconscious relations (since the conscious mind is asleep).

In the Schoenberg dream, it would be best if i knew what happened before, that way i could tell where the dream was coming from.
But i thought of a few ideas yesterday:

1.image- Schoenberg, the image himself, balding and brown hair on the sides. I was watching King of the Hill for 15 min last night, and you know Bill?  ;D

image (scenery)- took place at some aisle in Wal-Mart, but it sort of flip-flopped between an aisle in the library. This happens a lot- another example is when I dreamed of a field from an old school- it flip-flops between one school's field and another's, since they look almost the same. My mind can't make up it's mind which field it wants to think about. Anyone know what i'm talking about here?

2. emotion- just glad to talk to a hero of mine. Sometimes emotion can manipulate imagery, or even sound, but in this dream, no.

3. sound- nothing too important or memorable at all here.

BachQ

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 06, 2008, 05:51:31 AM
in my analysis, i try to relate each one to waking thoughts/events that usually happen the day before,

I dreamt last night that I was in a cafeteria piling my tray with heap after heap of various chocolate cakes / brownies....... and, as it happens, the day before I had been walking past the bakery section of my grocer, eying with envy the delicious chocolate cakes on display ..........