Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

I had an amusing musical dream during my shift last night. I dozed off while enjoying the video recording from the 1984 Kerstmatinee in Amsterdam, featuring Haitink conducting his RCO in Mahler's Second Symphony.

Suddenly, l was back in university ( but at my present age ), attending a lecture given by a gorgeous young professor, just the type of young lady I would fall for back in those years.

She was lecturing on, yup, M2. To illustrate her points, she had a CD player loaded with the Rattle EMI recording with the Birmingham orchestra from the Eighties.

In the dream l thought,  " Why, that's the wrong recording, she should be using Haitink's. "

The dream ended at that point. Maybe I'll get back to it tonight, and make my case for Haitink...  :laugh:
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

premont

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 20, 2022, 09:14:01 AM
Has anyone else here had the experience of whilst dreaming a bad dream, knowing that you were dreaming and being able to force yourself to wake up?

Only long time ago and very rarely, but it was usually in the way that I dreamt that I was sleeping and woke up in the dream, something I didn't realize until I woke up to the real life. Complicated, yes, but dreams are complicated.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: LKB on January 20, 2022, 10:11:57 AM
I had an amusing musical dream during my shift last night. I dozed off while enjoying the video recording from the 1984 Kerstmatinee in Amsterdam, featuring Haitink conducting his RCO in Mahler's Second Symphony.

Suddenly, l was back in university ( but at my present age ), attending a lecture given by a gorgeous young professor, just the type of young lady I would fall for back in those years.

She was lecturing on, yup, M2. To illustrate her points, she had a CD player loaded with the Rattle EMI recording with the Birmingham orchestra from the Eighties.

In the dream l thought,  " Why, that's the wrong recording, she should be using Haitink's. "

The dream ended at that point. Maybe I'll get back to it tonight, and make my case for Haitink...  :laugh:

Amusing indeed. Were you able from the sounds you probably heard in the dream to tell that she used the Rattle recording and not the Haitink?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

greg

Interesting that you can remember four dreams and so well the next day!  Do you often wake up during the night and/or are feeling tired the next day Greg?
Yeah, I do wake up briefly about 1-3 times the majority of nights.
The cause for that... no idea. Can speculate that it is related to the vata dosha characteristics, but yeah, that's not exactly scientific.

The feeling of fatigue the next day isn't due to that, though, it's just having a chronotype incompatible with the modern world.
If you are a night owl, you are screwed.
If I had no alarm clock, my natural sleeping pattern would be 1 or 2am to around 10am.
I feel amazing after sleeping in on the weekends, and miserable as the week progress Mon-Fri, waking up at 8am.
My dad's coworkers naturally go to bed at 10pm, at that time my last energy wave for the day has just started.
It's the caveat of having society so structured and everyone on the same page, many people don't really fit in and are forced to go heavily against their own biology.
I'd theorize that there would probably have some sort of reason some people are night owls- maybe in tribal communities they could have served a purpose such as nightwatch or a nocturnal hunter, but that is entirely lost on modern society, as nearly everything seems to shut down at 9pm or so. The result is just maladaptation and the need for caffeine in the morning lol.

Has anyone else here had the experience of whilst dreaming a bad dream, knowing that you were dreaming and being able to force yourself to wake up?
Yeah. If a dream is super intense, I wake up or develop awareness and then wake up.

But what causes awareness in dreams (turning it into a lucid dream) is unpredictable. Often it is just a feeling of knowing I'm dreaming- seems to be the most common cause nowadays. In the past, has been performing dream signs (putting your finger through your hand is the best). Or something like seeing your distorted reflection in a mirror, or turning on a light switch but it doesn't work, or checking the time and it isn't consistent.

If you find yourself aware, relax use your five senses to stabilize it and DO WHAT YOU WANT. You might not get the chance anytime soon to experience some things that are impossible in real life. Many times I've had the thrill of flying through a fantasy landscape, doing crazy parkour on rooftops, walking through walls, it's a blast and you'll wake up satisfied.

Quote from: LKB on January 20, 2022, 10:11:57 AM

Nice. I wonder how accurate what you heard in the dream was.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

LKB

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 20, 2022, 02:51:53 PM
Amusing indeed. Were you able from the sounds you probably heard in the dream to tell that she used the Rattle recording and not the Haitink?

In the dream, she removed the CD at one point and l saw it was the Rattle recording, which l own ( and enjoy ) in waking life. I can remember there being sound in the dream, but not identifiable music.

relm1

The last few nights, I've been having a triad of nightmares.  Getting lost, losing something critical to me, etc.  What is the deal???  They are three different episodes at different points of the night but causing me great distress. 

springrite

Repost from the Honegger thread:

For some unknown reason, last night all my dreams were about Honegger! I met him for dinner. I listened to works I did not know he composed (like a violin sonatina, a string quartet, and were backstage (not in the audience) for a performance of Joan of Arc, after which I obtained lots of score of music I did not know from him.

So the first thing I did this morning was to listen to Roi David!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

greg

I dreamed last night that I was at Trader Joe's and saw Joe Rogan lol.
Makes sense... I guess he lives in Austin now, which is 1 hour north of where I live, and of course he would shop at a place with his name in it.
Dream associations!  :D

Quote from: relm1 on January 28, 2022, 04:35:32 PM
The last few nights, I've been having a triad of nightmares.  Getting lost, losing something critical to me, etc.  What is the deal???  They are three different episodes at different points of the night but causing me great distress.
Maybe this will sound bad, but any way that you can try to find some excitement in it? (if they reoccur)
Idk... I just look at it like, these will be unique/one-of-a-kind experiences, even if they are negative, they won't have any permanent consequences. I've had plenty of those types of dreams before.

greg

Three last night:

1. Was in Sweden, around my favorite band Meshuggah, they were frustratingly only speaking Swedish so couldn't understand them. Then went out from the hotel I was in and explored during winter time at night and observed there were too many apartments and not enough homes for the size of the country (but that was my observation of what I have seen about Russia, so got confused there).

2. The band Veil of Maya released a song with the same exact melody in one of my Hyouka Suite piano pieces.

3. I was in the car with my family in Florida, and we were driving in a more semi-plains/semi-forested area. To our left was a bobcat. We drove slightly past. To our right was some guy hiking. But then the bobcat starts to attack the guy and he is screaming. I say we should drive past it. It's somewhat dark out so we don't see the guy getting ripped to shreds.

Looked up online just now and while bobcats are very common in Florida, they are known to be shy and don't attack humans.

geralmar

The dream last night was dead serious and detailed; but can be concisely summarized:  In response to frantic reports of a woman being brutally attacked, police broke into my apartment and seized the saxophone I was playing.  I'm sure that's the punchline of an old joke (maybe involving cats?) that I MIGHT have heard.  In any case I awoke depressed.  I never played the saxophone.

LKB

Quote from: geralmar on February 13, 2022, 01:53:58 PM
...  I never played the saxophone.

You still may have a shot at heaven.  >:D

greg

Just got down pulling actual nails out of my mouth... in my dream.  0:)
Was being chased by something... some natural disaster. The nails in the mouth was apparently a typical protest that any artistic person does against the Chinese government... except it isn't, just that my dream made that up.
Dreamed again about Putin two nights ago.

Anyone ever try vitamin B1 (thiamine) for "excessive thinking/irritability when trying to fall asleep/nightmares?" Maybe that could help with the falling asleep issues and the dreams like those.

Though wondering what can help with waking up issues. I don't get it... three loud alarms tested and still, either they magically don't go off or I still sleep through them. When it I need to be attending work meetings in the morning. Actually woke up at 7 AM expecting the alarms to go off, saw it was too early, and then sleep through the alarms at 8 AM. Wtf.

Now that I read that, it seems like the theme of all of this is some sort of subconscious compulsive rebellion. Probably should have been born a robot.

greg

Dream last night: watching TV in the living room with my mom in my home from childhood. 
On the news, it shows a wanted suspect- some expressionless kid wearing a hoodie that was covering the top part of his face.
Then we noticed that this kid was literally sitting next to the TV, in our living room. So we tackled him and took him out somehow (at that point the dream ended).

But the main part about this dream, that will set it forever in my dream hall of fame, is that, despite his appearance, the evil aura coming from this kid was one of the strongest, maybe even the strongest, feeling of evil I've ever encountered. Just indescribable. No horror movie or game ever came close to that level of potency. Normally, I love being surrounded by dark environments, enjoy horror just for the aesthetic, etc., but this was on such another level that it wasn't enjoyable.

So now really strongly considering vitamin B1, as it was insanely difficult to fall asleep and also having nightmares- apparently that is supposed to solve both...

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on February 21, 2022, 07:40:27 PM
Dream last night: watching TV in the living room with my mom in my home from childhood. 
On the news, it shows a wanted suspect- some expressionless kid wearing a hoodie that was covering the top part of his face.
Then we noticed that this kid was literally sitting next to the TV, in our living room. So we tackled him and took him out somehow (at that point the dream ended).

But the main part about this dream, that will set it forever in my dream hall of fame, is that, despite his appearance, the evil aura coming from this kid was one of the strongest, maybe even the strongest, feeling of evil I've ever encountered. Just indescribable. No horror movie or game ever came close to that level of potency. Normally, I love being surrounded by dark environments, enjoy horror just for the aesthetic, etc., but this was on such another level that it wasn't enjoyable.

So now really strongly considering vitamin B1, as it was insanely difficult to fall asleep and also having nightmares- apparently that is supposed to solve both...

I have no problems sleeping and you're a good bit younger than I am. :-\ Sounds like you have a lot of on your mind before you go to bed.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 21, 2022, 07:47:04 PM
I have no problems sleeping and you're a good bit younger than I am. :-\ Sounds like you have a lot of on your mind before you go to bed.
This seems to be a recurring problem on Sunday nights.
A couple years ago, I felt so restless on a Sunday night that I couldn't sleep the entire night.
It's a fire... want to get stuff done. Did I accomplish enough this weekend? How quickly can I get through my list of things to do this week?
Need more, can't leave anything done that has been left needed for a long time, can't have regrets. We can die any day, after all.
Probably people that know me don't even see it, it's all internal. It's difficult to proceed through a task by relaxing, my natural inclination is to dial up intensity and forcibly (yet strategically) get through stuff. Not good for sleeping, though lol.

So I guess you have no problems relaxing, in general, then?  :D

greg

About relaxing... I think when I get older, either I will learn naturally how to be better at it, or I'll just realize it's something to focus on.

Because there was a time, years ago, when I was in my gym locker room and saw this old guy watching the Andy Griffith show. Something about that was quite nice... it was from his time, so it's like a sort of comfort.

Over the years, I've played so many games and watched so many anime, and collected so many, that as I get old, it seems natural to want to visit stuff I played in my 20s as the same sort of familiar, but lovable, experience.

Gaming/music/all of my hobbies are not for relaxing, as I've sort of had the realization. Those sort of hobbies are highly associated with that. And I might use them to try to relax. But the main benefit they serve is inspiration, not relaxation. But in the future it can change, since inspiration is more novelty-related, while relaxation is more familiarity-related.

Heh, we'll see. An interesting thought, anyways.

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on February 23, 2022, 11:05:05 AM
This seems to be a recurring problem on Sunday nights.
A couple years ago, I felt so restless on a Sunday night that I couldn't sleep the entire night.
It's a fire... want to get stuff done. Did I accomplish enough this weekend? How quickly can I get through my list of things to do this week?
Need more, can't leave anything done that has been left needed for a long time, can't have regrets. We can die any day, after all.
Probably people that know me don't even see it, it's all internal. It's difficult to proceed through a task by relaxing, my natural inclination is to dial up intensity and forcibly (yet strategically) get through stuff. Not good for sleeping, though lol.

So I guess you have no problems relaxing, in general, then?  :D

One of the general problems with most people who are working from home due to COVID or perhaps even physical disability of some kind is that they're isolated from the outside world, so this, in turn, causes us to think about a lot of different things. Sometimes all at the same time! There's more time to dwell on past issues and the current state of the world whereas when you go to work (i. e. get dressed, drive, etc.) there's a tendency to just get the damn work day over with, so you can relax at home or whatever. This is one reason why I still physically go to work (like you, I could find a job and work for home if I truly desired it), but I think the lack of communication with the outside world over a period of time would cause me some mental anguish and, even though I'm not exactly burning up the social scene, it would be detrimental to my health. Of course, I love my alone time, but even being alone can weigh one down if they continue that particular course.

To answer your question, one of the best things to do before you go to bed is forget about everything. There's NOTHING you can do about what happened for that particular day --- it's over with. Each day is a new beginning to make something right. Also, we're not granted a tomorrow, so why worry about what you can't control or what you could've or should've done? You're only causing yourself grief and this will certainly not make for a good night's rest!

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on January 28, 2022, 06:29:01 PM
Repost from the Honegger thread:

For some unknown reason, last night all my dreams were about Honegger! I met him for dinner. I listened to works I did not know he composed (like a violin sonatina, a string quartet, and were backstage (not in the audience) for a performance of Joan of Arc, after which I obtained lots of score of music I did not know from him.

So the first thing I did this morning was to listen to Roi David!

Oh, this is excellent, Paul. 8) A fine dream. Honegger has become a favorite of mine.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2022, 11:47:21 AM
One of the general problems with most people who are working from home due to COVID or perhaps even physical disability of some kind is that they're isolated from the outside world, so this, in turn, causes us to think about a lot of different things. Sometimes all at the same time! There's more time to dwell on past issues and the current state of the world whereas when you go to work (i. e. get dressed, drive, etc.) there's a tendency to just get the damn work day over with, so you can relax at home or whatever. This is one reason why I still physically go to work (like you, I could find a job and work for home if I truly desired it), but I think the lack of communication with the outside world over a period of time would cause me some mental anguish and, even though I'm not exactly burning up the social scene, it would be detrimental to my health. Of course, I love my alone time, but even being alone can weigh one down if they continue that particular course.
Yeah, that is probably very much the case for many people. If working in a physical workplace works, then go for it.

Working in an office just makes me feel more restless, knowing that I'm wasting so much more time. All work feels like a complete waste of time, even though technically it isn't, since you are making money.

We only have one life, we can die at any time, and we're sitting here doing something that doesn't interest us, all day long. When there is so much out there to explore, so much to experience.

So yeah, at home when my work isn't busy, I have plenty of time to do what I want, so it doesn't feel like I'm wasting so much time. But return to office is inevitable, and tbh, might be contributing to some anxiety (about that resulting in not having enough time to accomplish/experience what I want).

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2022, 11:47:21 AM
To answer your question, one of the best things to do before you go to bed is forget about everything. There's NOTHING you can do about what happened for that particular day --- it's over with. Each day is a new beginning to make something right. Also, we're not granted a tomorrow, so why worry about what you can't control or what you could've or should've done? You're only causing yourself grief and this will certainly not make for a good night's rest!
Of course. The difficulties being a lifelong inability to fall asleep early and inability to stop thinking (especially if I'm just lying there).

Overall, the issue isn't really that bad, it would just be nice to be able to fall asleep on time, to not have to feel the lag during the week and take long to recover. My dad has it so much worse, it's incomparable, at least it isn't like that.

There was a period of time, I remember being able to clear my mind and fall asleep more easily (still no earlier than midnight, but can't expect too much), but I seem to have lost that ability- not sure how to get it back, though. I even told my dad to just actively intend to stop thinking in order to fall asleep, because at the time it helped me, but never did it help him.

greg

So this is totally dumb, but the difficulty sleeping the last few Sundays was most likely due to caffeine that I didn't know about- been getting this one drink when leaving the gym the last few Sundays (after ~4pm), and thought it was only flavored water. Reading the can more closely yesterday and just saw it has plenty of caffeine, totally explains it.  :P

Last night dreamed of exploring some city, and while outside on a rooftop, saw this strange bird. It was a blue jay, except it's body was big and round like a ball, and covered in angry-looking bird heads (maybe 10?). I thought it might attack me, but it didn't. It was a totally bizarre sight, wish I could share an artist rendering, but not seeing anything on google search that fits that description.