Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Kullervo on June 24, 2007, 09:58:55 AM
Actually, the rainbow was so intense that it burned down a shed.  ???
:D

QuoteI have one frequently recurring dream -- at least it's the dream that I most frequently remember due to the fact that I dream it just before I wake up. In this dream I'm looking for a men's room, a toilet anywhere I can find it, because I have to pee something ferocious. The trouble is, everywhere I go, the john is either occupied, out of order, or it's filthy beyond belief. There's always some obstruction that keeps me from using this rest room. If I try to look for another one all I find is empty halls, or halls with ladies' rooms only, or I get detained by annoying people with trivial business for me to attend to so that I can't get away to resume my search, or I have to push my way through tremendous crowds only to find that the men's room on the other side is likewise occupied, out of order or filthy beyond belief.

Eventually, of couse, I wake up and invariably find that I really do have to pee something ferocious.
Sounds like having to go to the bathroom at my old school  :-\
with the last sentence there, this is just one of those dreams that are way too easy to interpret  ;D

greg

i've had so many thoughts yesterday and today about how dreams work that I feel like posting a few i've had , but..... maybe i'll get to just a hint today or tomorrow.

EmpNapoleon

I think most dreams have to do with the body.  For example, in your dream, Mark G. Simon, there are obstacles standing before the "business" you must take care of in your body.  This "business" could mean anything going on in your body that you know of.  Some may think that the dream merely means that you need to urinate.  Freud may think that the dream is asking you to recognize your penis.  Anyways, you need to relieve yourself in some way, but there are obstructions, as you say.

There's a decent site: http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/
It's a good place to start if you can't think of dream meanings.

For example, Kullerve, rainbows dreamt apparently denote the following: "...much hope,  success and good fortune in the form of money, prestige, or fame. The rainbow is a bridge between your earthly, grounded self and the higher, spiritual self.  For lovers to see a rainbow, symbolizes overwhelming happiness from their union." 
I love the power of your rainbow, the bond between earth and heaven.  However, I don't want this to sound remotely mystical, as the website makes every image seem:

"To dream that a house is on fire, indicates that you need to undergo some transformation. If you have recurring dreams of your family house on fire, then it suggests that you are still not ready for the change or that you are fighting against the change. Alternatively, it highlights passion and the love of those around you."

Think about the shed?  Do you know of or have you known of any sheds?  Is there something outside of your house, physically or psychologically?

greg

Quote from: EmpNapoleon on June 24, 2007, 12:29:30 PM
There's a decent site: http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/
It's a good place to start if you can't think of dream meanings.

Dream dictionaries are only useful in a small way. It gives a possibility of what a symbol might mean, but from one person to the next the same symbol can mean a million different things. You always have to go by context and how the symbol makes you feel in the dream. So normally i don't pay them much attention  :-X

greg

my apostrophes dont work

ok, i'll try to at least share just a bit on my thoughts about how dreams work.

Saturday, I went canoeing for a few hours in the morning and then watched The Ring right before going to bed. As I drifted off to sleep, I pictured myself canoeing (in 1st person) and then came upstream and to the left i saw a caveman hunched over. I don't know why it was a caveman, but that's not the important thing. What was important is that it was looking like it was about to get me!

First I have to ask: does anyone else sorta "dream" before they even fall asleep?  That's what I'm describing.

Even though most of my thoughts were reliving the canoeing, there's still a part of my mind that was reliving on the movie, but it was more subconscious. So I do see how symbolism works, here's another example:

when I was rowing, I hit a tree (yeah, that happened a few times)  :P
But the STRANGE thing was that when I pictured myself using the paddle to touch the tree and pull the canoe to the right (since the tree was right in front), my mind shifted the picture to this scene in a video game that i haven't played in years. The main characters are in this cave, and straight ahead is a dirt path, and if you pull to the right, you go to a save point. The tree and the dirt path look the same.

I have a theory. The beginning of every dream comes from what I like to call the "carry over" effect. Theres probabaly a name for it, but i just dont know what it is.

You know how when you ride roller coasters all day long you feel like youre still riding them? The last time i rode them that much i was in 2nd grade, but i still remember it. Also, if you swim all day long, canoeing, drive, anything else now that I think about it. Those are physical, but even mental or visual stuff stays in your mind more than you want it to. Sometimes, when youre not in a good mood and you argue with someone, you can watch a good movie and feel good but even when the movie is over you feel a hint of anger, even if you dont think about before.

So when you go to sleep, I think you start off dreaming about what you did during the day but forget that part. The visuals are what you normally see through the day or are visual represenations of how you feel. Then one thing leads to another with associations like the ones I described above. The associations can go back forever it seems, but dont usually go back to when you were 1 or 2. Thats how the dream story unfolds.

greg

last night, i had several dreams..... at the moment, i can only remember the first two. The first one was normal for me, a long dream about a friend from years ago. The second one was very interesting....

I was at a basketball game. Magic vs. Bulls. (of course, i was cheering for the Magic)
It was a tied game, with just a few seconds on the clock. Some guy for the Bulls was at the free throw line. He puts up a brick that's so bad, he only hits the backboard, lol. So the Magic get it back and have to travel across the court and try to avoid a foul.

Near the 3-point line, Pat Garrity does anything just to try and avoid a foul. He shoots the ball but instead shoots it so short that he's able to run and catch the ball again. Then he's charged with a self-pass, and it results in a turnover. I think in my dream I forgot it was actually a tied game, that's more like something that'd happen if they were in the lead.

So Darrel Armstrong, who is on the Bulls (i've actually lost track, i don't know what team he really plays for anymore), is the out of bounds guy who is going to pass to get the final shot. (As a side note, at the beginning of my dream he was on the Magic, so i think i forgot that, too). He has this attitude that he actually wants the Magic to win, so instead of passing it to someone wide open he passes it to the guy who is right next to him, somewhat far outside the 3-point line. The guy takes a wild shot (a sky hook) with only a second on the shot clock....... the ball hits the side of the rim, bounces up VERY high, and it looks like it'll be a miss and the game will go into overtime. BUT......... somehow, high up in the air, it travels to the left and falls straight in. The Bulls win the game with a miracle shot and I'm extremely annoyed. Actually, now that I realize it, sounds like a typical Magic game  ;D

S709

Thanks for this thread, greg!
I have been interested in 'figuring out how dreams work' for years. I have been writing down all the interesting dreams I've had for at least 2 years now, so the 'collection' may be nearly 200 or so (not as large as Freud's though :D ).
I always get up in the middle of the night after a powerful dream and write it down -- while half-asleep -- and then it is usually quite a surprise to read what I wrote in the morning, because it has all been forgotten.
The worst part about it is that dialogue is very difficult to remember: in so many dreams there was quite long and detailed dialogue but I only recall vague ideas or single sentences about the dialogue even soon after the dream is over.
Often a word description is inadequate so I have to draw the various bizarre images, some of which have been quite interesting.

I'll type up some of the more strange ones later. :)

greg

Quote from: Xantus' Murrelet on July 17, 2007, 06:43:09 AM
Thanks for this thread, greg!
I have been interested in 'figuring out how dreams work' for years. I have been writing down all the interesting dreams I've had for at least 2 years now, so the 'collection' may be nearly 200 or so (not as large as Freud's though :D ).
I always get up in the middle of the night after a powerful dream and write it down -- while half-asleep -- and then it is usually quite a surprise to read what I wrote in the morning, because it has all been forgotten.
The worst part about it is that dialogue is very difficult to remember: in so many dreams there was quite long and detailed dialogue but I only recall vague ideas or single sentences about the dialogue even soon after the dream is over.
Often a word description is inadequate so I have to draw the various bizarre images, some of which have been quite interesting.

I'll type up some of the more strange ones later. :)

finally, someone who actually shares my interest in dreams on this forum.  :)

yeah, go ahead, post however many dreams and thoughts/theories about dreams as you want!

karlhenning

I dream of being awake.

orbital

The great Taoist master Chuang Tzu once dreamt that he was a butterfly fluttering here and there. In the dream he had no awareness of his individuality as a person. He was only a butterfly. Suddenly, he awoke and found himself laying there, a person once again. But then he thought to himself, "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?"
:P

greg

i had two dreams last night that i can remember..... the first one, i was in a concert watching some orchestra. George was in there, playing one of the instruments, but i don't remember which one. Then he had to sit down for the 3rd movement (he sat to the right of me) but I asked him, "what? you're done?" He told me "no, actually i have to go back for the last movement."  ???

The 2nd dream was just something else. It was basically a flying dream. I was walking along the street when I jumped and tried to fly. Surprised, I stayed in the air and told myself to keep at it. So then i jumped a few times in the air and eventually jumped probably a little further than i wanted to and could see the houses like they were dots- it was sorta like Google Earth. But it was totally satisfying because I knew i had achieved something which is humanly impossible.   8)

greg

last night i dreamed i was in a lunchroom eating lunch with 4 members of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie. One was Johnny Depp (one of my favorite actors) and the other 3 were monster. Eventually I realized since Johnny Depp was famous, why haven't I (or anyone else) asked for his autograph? It seemed awkward to ask since we were friends, but I decided to.... the lunch bell rang and everyone got up and started walking away. I try to get to him to ask him for his autograph but wake up..... everytime I wake up from a dream it's a bummer.

Kullervo

Quote from: greg on August 11, 2007, 05:46:39 AM
last night i dreamed i was in a lunchroom eating lunch with 4 members of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie. One was Johnny Depp (one of my favorite actors) and the other 3 were monster. Eventually I realized since Johnny Depp was famous, why haven't I (or anyone else) asked for his autograph? It seemed awkward to ask since we were friends, but I decided to.... the lunch bell rang and everyone got up and started walking away. I try to get to him to ask him for his autograph but wake up..... everytime I wake up from a dream it's a bummer.

From where are those lyrics are those in your sig, some kinda pansy metal band? ;D

Mozart

Im not Freud, but I think you want to have sex, and with your friends mum.

Kullervo

Quote from: Papageno on August 11, 2007, 05:03:37 PM
Now that it's clearer in my mind, I remember the hockey balls

Stop there and explain what a hockey ball is.

Wait.

On second thought, don't.

greg

Quote from: Kullervo on August 11, 2007, 02:11:12 PM
From where are those lyrics are those in your sig, some kinda pansy metal band? ;D
Yngwie Malmsteen, the guitarist who got me into classical music. The original shredder, the guy I play like most.

Quote from: Papageno on August 11, 2007, 05:03:37 PM
What's that about, fear of sex?

nah, just you not wanting to die maybe

greg

i had a ton of dreams last night, but could only remember 2. The first is one of the most enigmatic dreams I've ever had. I did achieve an interpretation, but i don't like it at all.  :P

With the first, I dreamed that my friend called me on the phone. This friend was some I haven't even thought about for a couple of years, the last time i saw him was in my Programming class in 11th grade, lol. He was sort of a happy-go-lucky nerd type, not "cool" to other people, but to me "cool" cuz he was nice. He spoke to me on the phone in a really nervous voice, telling me that i had to do something. I don't remember the details, but eventually i had to go to my Playstation and hook up some type of wire or chord to the Playstation. I could tell someone had him hostage or something, it was pretty obvious. But I didn't do it in time, and i think he died.  :'(
The strange thing was, I didn't picture anything throughout my whole dream until the very end when I was at my Playstation, all I heard was his very scared voice for a long time. I even woke up and went back to sleep and the whole time heard his scared voice.

The second dream was obvious. I dreamed that I met my old friend again (he's one of the people i've dreamed of seeing again so many times i can't even count, over the years). In the end, he said he had to go and he was going to live with his girlfriend the rest of his life in Europe. I was like, "well, alright, man, i'll keep in touch." Then I thought that every single time I saw him again, it was so short and he had to go somewhere quickly. What I didn't realize in my dream was that those times that I "saw" him again were when he was in my dreams!

Kullervo

Quote from: greg on August 23, 2007, 07:49:07 AM
i had a ton of dreams last night, but could only remember 2. The first is one of the most enigmatic dreams I've ever had. I did achieve an interpretation, but i don't like it at all.  :P

With the first, I dreamed that my friend called me on the phone. This friend was some I haven't even thought about for a couple of years, the last time i saw him was in my Programming class in 11th grade, lol. He was sort of a happy-go-lucky nerd type, not "cool" to other people, but to me "cool" cuz he was nice. He spoke to me on the phone in a really nervous voice, telling me that i had to do something. I don't remember the details, but eventually i had to go to my Playstation and hook up some type of wire or chord to the Playstation. I could tell someone had him hostage or something, it was pretty obvious. But I didn't do it in time, and i think he died.  :'(
The strange thing was, I didn't picture anything throughout my whole dream until the very end when I was at my Playstation, all I heard was his very scared voice for a long time. I even woke up and went back to sleep and the whole time heard his scared voice.

I've had plenty of dreams like that — not really involving any kind of physical threat, but dreams involving people with whom I'm on bad terms, or don't know well. I've dreamt of my old roommates many times, and wake up wishing that we could be friends. Though... that dissipates fairly quickly and I'm glad I never have to see them again. :p