Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Thanks, he is getting on with his life; but it has been a real trial for him

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Szykneij

Quote from: toƱito on July 25, 2011, 03:34:19 PM
I'm sorry, Mike. It must really difficult to live with this disorder. I hope your son gets to control it and to live a good life. Maybe someday science will find a cure.   

That goes for me too, Mike. Being a teenager today is hard enough without that additional burden.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ibanezmonster

Quote from: knight66 on July 25, 2011, 03:05:22 PM
There are degrees of it. Some have one voice, others have multiple voices. My son has this condition and we knew nothing of it until he was about 16. He cannot remember when he did not have it and what he gets is a large group of voices shouting at him all the time. Needless to say, he has had difficulty getting to sleep and tends to leave the radio on to get to sleep.

Although this is seemingly a chemical issue in the brain; whilst some people can make a friend out of their voices, my son has had to cope with voices being entirely negative about him and shouting all the time.

He rarely will discuss this at all. The treatment he had provided some coping techniques. At present he seems to be going through a good phase and can counteract or phase them out. But if he is depressed, this condition makes things a lot worse.

He did tell me that over his memory there was twice when he woke up and it was silent. He was amazed, but the voices kicked in again.

Initially on learning that he was experiencing this disturbance we assumed he was psychotic; but he was carefully diagnosed. He has never thought that the voices were real, but I don't know how he manages to cope with it. It has to be deeply disturbing and for sure it disrupted his powers of concentration when he was a teenager and lead to some pretty disturbing behaviour while he got to grips with himself.

Mike
That would suck to have.  :(

I thought it would be cool to use audio at your own command- sure, you have your mind, but it doesn't sound as realistic as an mp3 player. Like a switch.

Same for visual hallucinations when you close your eyes- I actually was able to lucid dream for a minute a few nights ago, but panicked because when you realize you're dreaming, you start to think about sleep paralysis and the fact that you have no control over your body- that ends it abruptly.

I've been trying to catch the particular moment when drifting off where you can start the dream, so catching it that time after all that effort is nice (1/10+ success rate).  ::) Doing a "WILD" is something that takes skill and practice, but once you master it, you can lucid dream at will and do anything you want.  8)

I'm only using the term "audio hallucinations" to neatly describe them. They're perfectly normal during a hypnopompic state. It's more like hearing a noise, voice, or music, and then waking up from either sleep or being half-asleep to discover is was just your imagination.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on July 25, 2011, 07:31:23 PM

I thought it would be cool to use audio at your own command- sure, you have your mind, but it doesn't sound as realistic as an mp3 player. Like a switch.

Same for visual hallucinations when you close your eyes- I actually was able to lucid dream for a minute a few nights ago, but panicked because when you realize you're dreaming, you start to think about sleep paralysis and the fact that you have no control over your body- that ends it abruptly.

I've been trying to catch the particular moment when drifting off where you can start the dream, so catching it that time after all that effort is nice (1/10+ success rate).  ::) Doing a "WILD" is something that takes skill and practice, but once you master it, you can lucid dream at will and do anything you want.  8)

I'm only using the term "audio hallucinations" to neatly describe them. They're perfectly normal during a hypnopompic state. It's more like hearing a noise, voice, or music, and then waking up from either sleep or being half-asleep to discover is was just your imagination.

You need to get out more.

ibanezmonster

Attempted a WILD again this morning... I had a semi-dream about chasing something, like in a 3D video game. Then I came to point where something just completely "clicked"- everything was completely realistic. But then, I took my focus off of it and it faded. lol  :D
Seems more reassuring now that if I keep trying, I can make small steps here and there until I can eventually master the technique, hopefully.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on July 26, 2011, 07:46:45 AM
Attempted a WILD again this morning... I had a semi-dream about chasing something, like in a 3D video game. Then I came to point where something just completely "clicked"- everything was completely realistic. But then, I took my focus off of it and it faded. lol  :D
Seems more reassuring now that if I keep trying, I can make small steps here and there until I can eventually master the technique, hopefully.

Why is any of this important to you, Greg? Don't you have better things to do with your free time? No wonder you don't have a girlfriend. You weird people out and scare them off. I'm beginning to think that you're going to end up being one of those guys who are the village idiot.

springrite

Well, not MY dream but, Kimi talked in her sleep last night. To my astonishment, she talked in English in her sleep. I don't know what the dream was all about, but she did say "But daddy, you are going the wrong way!" Maybe she was being a backseat driver.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 26, 2011, 08:56:45 AM
Why is any of this important to you, Greg? Don't you have better things to do with your free time? No wonder you don't have a girlfriend. You weird people out and scare them off. I'm beginning to think that you're going to end up being one of those guys who are the village idiot.
You are just trying to be provocative.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on July 26, 2011, 01:36:35 PM
You are just trying to be provocative.

No, I'm trying to talk some sense into you.

ibanezmonster

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't talk about lucid dreaming to people in real life. If anything, I probably bore people to death because I am generally not/don't know how to be interested in most people.

As for the "getting out" thing, I "get out" every single day. I work 5 days a week (just finished my 8 days straight), and on my days off I hang out with friends. I do average 7 posts here a day (I'm on the computer all day because I'm constantly practicing programming), but you average 15 a day. Hopefully, you "get out," too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on July 26, 2011, 06:28:37 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't talk about lucid dreaming to people in real life. If anything, I probably bore people to death because I am generally not/don't know how to be interested in most people.

As for the "getting out" thing, I "get out" every single day. I work 5 days a week (just finished my 8 days straight), and on my days off I hang out with friends. I do average 7 posts here a day (I'm on the computer all day because I'm constantly practicing programming), but you average 15 a day. Hopefully, you "get out," too.

I was joking with you about the getting out more. You're familiar with the way a joke works right? ;) Anyway, you don't know how to be interested in people? It seems like to me that you spend an awful lot of time talking about yourself instead of genuinely taking an interest in someone else. I'm certainly not saying you should fake an interest in people because I sure as hell don't, but I do think there are some interesting people out there that are worth knowing, that is, if you give them a chance.

By the way, how are your woman problems going? You still not being aggressive enough?

ibanezmonster

Well, it's just hard to talk to certain people because they don't really have much to offer other than general stuff (most of which I don't find interesting). So it's difficult to connect completely. I probably have an average amount of friends/acquaintances, but if I were to randomly chat up a stranger on the street, I would completely lost. All of my friends that "truly share the same specific interests as me" are all scattered around in different cities right now, so I rarely get to see them.

As for "woman problems..."  meh, I don't mind being single. I guess the good part about being too introverted is that you almost never feel lonely, even when it comes to women. I'm not saying I wouldn't appreciate it, but if you add the stuff you have to deal with/risks that come with a relationship, it pretty much evens out.

As for "not being aggressive enough..." I guess not, mainly because of the above paragraph. I don't know any girls and have no idea how people even find them, in the first place. I guess I could start by asking you?...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on July 26, 2011, 07:20:28 PM
Well, it's just hard to talk to certain people because they don't really have much to offer other than general stuff (most of which I don't find interesting). So it's difficult to connect completely. I probably have an average amount of friends/acquaintances, but if I were to randomly chat up a stranger on the street, I would completely lost. All of my friends that "truly share the same specific interests as me" are all scattered around in different cities right now, so I rarely get to see them.

As for "woman problems..."  meh, I don't mind being single. I guess the good part about being too introverted is that you almost never feel lonely, even when it comes to women. I'm not saying I wouldn't appreciate it, but if you add the stuff you have to deal with/risks that come with a relationship, it pretty much evens out.

As for "not being aggressive enough..." I guess not, mainly because of the above paragraph. I don't know any girls and have no idea how people even find them, in the first place. I guess I could start by asking you?...

Women can be found everywhere, Greg. I'm not in a relationship right now, but I would like to be. I think there's nothing quite like being with a woman who appreciates you and loves being around you. I would say one of the best places to meet women is a grocery store. Food, like music, movies, and art, has a way of bringing certain kinds of people together. My dream woman would be into some kind of art. It doesn't have to be music, because I don't expect anyone to like the same music I do, but I can connect with a woman who paints, cooks, loves movies, etc. You don't have to have everything in common. Differences are what make a relationship challenging, but ultimately rewarding I think.

I'm certainly not a woman expert, but I know what kind of woman I like: intelligent, kind, a good sense of humor, and easy-going. It may be hard to find, but I'm optimistic that the woman for me is out there. She may not even be my own race or nationality.

ibanezmonster

A grocery store... really? Well, I guess so. If that's all we can think of, you know we're from the south.  :(

But realistically, would you actually approach a woman at a grocery store and have a conversation and then ask for a phone number or e-mail address? I don't know about you, but that would just be a disaster for me.

I'm guessing the vast majority of people meet through either work, school, parties, bars, or mutual friends.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on July 26, 2011, 07:45:17 PM
A grocery store... really? Well, I guess so. If that's all we can think of, you know we're from the south.  :(

But realistically, would you actually approach a woman at a grocery store and have a conversation and then ask for a phone number or e-mail address? I don't know about you, but that would just be a disaster for me.

I'm guessing the vast majority of people meet through either work, school, parties, bars, or mutual friends.

Well a lot of women go to grocery stores. I don't think being from the South has anything to do with anything to be honest. I think you have only a 50/50 shot with a woman no matter where you ask her for a date. I don't hang out at bars or nightclubs so this has never interested me. I remember one time I was on vacation in Chattanooga, TN. and I went to a nightclub just to see what all the fuss was about. I looked around, nodded my head, and left in 10 minutes. I've had numerous people tell me that they thought I was an old soul trapped in a young man's body. I guess this could be true. I'm certainly not "hip" to what the young people that's for sure.

Perhaps I'm socially awkward too? :D I guess in some ways we all are even the people who appear to be extroverted. They could be this way to keep a barrier between them and somebody else. There are genuinely nice people out there, but sometimes you have to wonder what their motive is? Oh geez....I'm starting to sound a little paranoid now. I guess I'm a lot more stranger than you! ;) ;D

Mirror Image

By the way, Greg, just out of curiosity, how do you work 8 days in a row if you're off two days a week?

ibanezmonster

I probably would have done the same thing if I were at a nightclub. Maybe you need to be on ecstasy to understand it?

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 26, 2011, 09:48:50 PM
By the way, Greg, just out of curiosity, how do you work 8 days in a row if you're off two days a week?
Just some stupid thing they do after you take a week vacation- they make everyone work 7-10 days straight. Schedules are random and hours depend on the season, but the standard being off 2 days a week is pretty much how each week goes, besides that.

karlhenning

That bites when they punish you for taking time off (which is a deserved benefit, not any "special favor" you're asking of your employer).

TheGSMoeller

My wife told me she had a dream last night that I died...I must now sleep with one eye open.  :o

Szykneij

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 27, 2011, 09:28:46 AM
My wife told me she had a dream last night that I died...I must now sleep with one eye open.  :o

My wife watches this show every weekend. Maybe I should be sleeping with one eye open, too!   :o

http://sharetv.org/shows/snapped
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige